What's new

Paramount - more of the same please (1 Viewer)

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Martin Blythe and Paramount are to be congratulated for their ongoing committment to releasing Classic Westerns.

The 8 upcoming April titles look fabulous and will stretch the old purse strings or Credit Cards to their limit.(Who cares, the titles are well and truly worth it)

But like all good things, one gets an appetite for more.
So without feeling ungrateful, may I request some more Western Titles for any future packages.

Any chance we might see,
"Pony Express"
"Whispering Smith"
"Streets of Lorado"
"The Furies"
"Red Mountain"
"Arrowhead"
"Run for Cover"
"Pardners"
"The Jayhawkers"
"Last Train from Gunhill"
"One-Eyed Jacks"
"Waterhole #3"

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
I'd like to add my thanks to Paramount for the promised westerns, especially 'Gunfight At The OK Corral' and 'Little Big Man'. Another two titles I can soon delete from my most-wanted list!

But please, Paramount, do consider releasing 'One-Eyed Jacks' before too long. I won't feel my DVD westerns collection is complete without it! (Yes I know it's already been released on a cheap label, but no-one in their right mind would regard this version as anything but a travesty of a great classic.)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
OK, if they're doing good on westerns I'll have to take your word for it as I'm not a big fan of that genre.
But when I saw the thread title I was gonna bust their balls over putting out non-anamorphic product like HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Let me second "One-Eyed Jacks" as well as "The Tin Star" as candidates for a future round of western dvd releases.

Crawdaddy

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
But when I saw the thread title I was gonna bust their balls over putting out non-anamorphic product like HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER.
John,
Not to bust your balls...
I don't understand why you keep harping on the Red October thing. Martin did respond to look for it in the middle of 2003 in this thread. In fact, you were the first to respond to him, thanking him.
Maybe you should practice a little patience. ;)
-Chad

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Wow, I forgot about that. There are so many threads I follow at HTF, sometimes things can get blurry.

Of course it does say 'you may get your wish' so we're still waiting for something official.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Also not a western, but I'm still waiting for a nice Four Flies on Grey Velvet....please? puleeeeeeeez?:)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Hear! Hear! (to most of the titles mentioned in this thread).
Robert, I assume you're aware of the four existing DVD versions of One Eyed Jacks? Admittedly they're not the best (Ideal $6.39, Madacy $7.49, Front Row $5.59, Ventura $11.21, I own the Madacy version) and the Ventura version is OOP, but the one I have is watchable.
I would love to see a pristine DVD release though!
Were Once Upon a Time in the West and The Tin Star announced already?
(And I'm also hoping for a few Warner titles! :) )
Cees

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
How did One Eyed Jacks lapse? Forgot to renew or some clerical blunder?

Along with Universal's Charade, I'm shocked to see films that recent...well, relatively, to lose their copyright.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Some time back Martin said that Paramount would not consider doing "One Eyed Jacks" because the market was already flooded with the PD Copies.

Sad really.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
Well if that's the case, I hope they will re-consider. Surely they must realise that there's a big demand out there for a DVD version that does the film justice. If they eventually do another poll on this forum, I'm sure One-Eyed Jacks will be among the most-requested items.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
If Paramount can provide material on a hypothetical ONE-EYED JACKS disc that will make it stand out -- trailer, short documentary, maybe a cinematographer or Karl Malden commentary -- that would easily blow those PD discs away and bring in the money they have conceivably already lost. As long as you have copyrightable, exclusive product to add to a PD title, a major studio can beat the bootleggers.

At least that's what I would do if I worked at Paramount.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Qoute: "At least that's what I would do if I worked at Paramount"

I wish you did, I wish I did, but unfortunately Mark we don't.

I can understand Martin's problem.

A film like "One Eyed Jacks" would need to be sold to both those quality conscious Movie Lovers among us that know the real thing from a bootleg and the Joe Six Packs of this world that don't know a bootleg from the real thing.

Example: A family friend who lives in a small Country Town in Northern Australia, came down to visit us here in Melbourne recently.
Now, this Lady loves her Movies and had recently bought herself a DVD Player.
I took her to a large DVD super store here and she was simply amazed by the sheer volume of titles available.( she said that her local store only carried one shelf of titles),
I left her alone for while and when she was finished with her selections she proudly showed me what she had chosen.
10 or so titles, 6 of which were Public Domain rubbish.
The reason! They were good Movies and they were CHEAP!!
Needless to say, I gave her a lecture and she put 5 of them back.

Another friend of mine keeps buying PD Rubbish and when I query the dismal quality, he says that he thinks they look great and they're cheap.

So that is Martin's problem.
How do you educate the Joe Six Packs on price versus quality.

There are a large number of us out there that would love to see an official Studio release SE of "One Eyed Jacks"
We refuse to buy PD Garbage, so we are forced to go without.

I fear price is the biggest problem.

Let's hope that Martin has a solution.

Bob Engleman

Stunt Coordinator
With the upcoming release of OK Corral & Nevada Smith, the below are the only Paramount titles I need to complete my catalogue Westerns collection.

1.Last Outpost, The
2.Pony Express
3.Viva Villa!

Any chance of their release?

Bob Engleman

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Another vote for Paramount to release One-Eyed Jacks on DVD. I have the widescreen Paramount laser but would happily trade it in for the DVD.
I would also love to see Monte Walsh & The Tin Star on DVD too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks