What's new

Panny RP91 auto scaling problem (1 Viewer)

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I have had the panny RP91 for a little over a year now and have had no problems with it....until now. Actually I'm not even sure if it is the player. I recently changed the auto scaling feature to "Auto" from my previous setting of "Normal". I'm having a problem with a few non-anamorphic titles, particularly The Princess Bride, Reservoir Dogs, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. The picture is displayed as letter-boxed in a 4:3 window on my widescreen Toshiba 57HX81, so its boxed on all sides. This doesn't happen with some other non-anamorphic titles, I tried Good Will Hunting and Clear and Present Danger and the auto-scaling worked fine, so I'm inclined to think that its not the player. Anyone else with this player experienced this? Are these titles flagged improperly?

Thanks,

Vlad

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

greg_t

Screenwriter
I would try to use the Zoom setting with the ones that won't scale. They may not be properly flagged as you suggested. The zoom setting should force scaling on them. As I understand it, "auto" only works if the disc is properly flagged, zoom will force it to scale.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Greg is correct. The AUTO setting will work on non-anamorphic material that is properly flagged as widescreen, but you need to use the ZOOM mode to force the scaling for those discs that are not properly flagged.

I always thought the NORMAL setting forced a 4:3 frame with no scaling. I never use that setting myself. My default setting is AUTO, and I manually select ZOOM when required.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Thanks guys. I tried the ZOOM setting and it worked.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
The good thing about the RP91 is that for the occasional disk that is not flagged properly, the player remembers the settings for the last 200 disks played so you will not have to switch to zoom the next time you play it (unless you exceed 200 disks by the time you rewatch).

Some other unflagged disks - Titanic, Stargate (original version)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks