What's new

Panasonic XP50 for $280 - good deal? (1 Viewer)

george.Legeza

Stunt Coordinator
Well, after searching all around for a DVD player today I found that Tweeters had one, but only one. Either Tweeters is no longer selling that particular model or Panasonic is no longer making it, the floor guy wasn't sure, but either way they didn't have any new models and wouldn't be getting any. They do have a floor model that's never been used before (according to the sales person) and looked to be in near-perfect condition. He told me he could sell it for $280 with a one year parts/labor warranty from Tweeters and everything that originally came with the player minus the box itself. He's holding it for me until they close tonight.
What do you guys think? Is this a good deal?
(Oh, by the way, I love the way this thing looks. Probably the coolest looking DVD player I've ever seen. :D)

Craig W

Second Unit
I don't think it is a good deal for an open box model. I think MSRP was $399 meaning you probably could find it on the street for about $300 or less. Tell him to knock off another $100 since it is open box and you have no way of knowing much it was used. Even if the player is not spinning a disc the optics are still energized and don't care if a disc is playing or not.

If you are looking to get it because you can't get the RP82 look to the changer version of the RP82, the CP72, instead.

Comparison reviews of the XP50 to the RP82 have noted that the XP50 did not produce as good of PQ that the RP82. Plus it had more issues with SVCD. The CP72 has more functionality with SVCDs if that is a concern to you.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
George, I have to agree with Craig on this one. $280 isn't a good deal, especially on an open-box unit. As I recall, Crutchfield had it new for $250 before they sold out a few weeks ago. If you cannot get a better price on the demo 'XP50 and cannot find a new one at a good price, you might want to give the 'CP72 a look, as Craig suggested.

TimothyE

Stunt Coordinator
The XP-50 is a very well built, nice looking player that many people will be happy with. Not me.

I returned the XP-50 to Crutchfield because I didn't think it was worth the $212.99 (including overnight shipping) I paid for it. After seeing the PQ of the CP-72 (which I have also returned for other reasons), I wasn't satisfied with the PQ of the XP-50. Besides that, it wouldn't show track, chapter, and elapsed time information on VCDs like the CP-72 did.

All the best,

Tim

george.Legeza

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm. Thanks for the warnings, guys. I'll check out the CP72 tommorow and if I'm not happy with that I'll look into my other options. Thanks!

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
He told me he could sell it for $280 with a one year parts/labor warranty from Tweeters and everything that originally came with the player minus the box itself. He's holding it for me until they close tonight.
I have learned to stay away from Tweeter especially when it comes to open box merchandise. I had a salesman awhile back try to sell me a floor model at full price. I said no way then asked him for a discount since this was technically a used item. He offered up a paltry 10% off which still made the player considerably higher then what I could get it for online. I think the salemen there think people want a particular product so much they will be willing to pay list price for used equipment.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks