What's new

Panasonic 53WX42 owners, and all others in the know.... (1 Viewer)

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
...what are the preferred settings for the picture mode option? When watching TV or a movie, I have the choice between VIVID...CINEMA...STANDARD. VIVID and STANDARD seem to really accentuate the colors and the brightness to the heavy side. Is there a way to compensate for this, or should I stick w/ the CINEMA mode when watching TV and movies?
Another issue I am having is w/ RED PUSH on TV sources (DISH NETWORK). I've did the basic setup w/ the AVIA disc, but the RED PUSH is still there. I can't really afford an ISF calibration right now, so is there anything else I can do?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
After the research I've done, this TV is bar none the best deal going in price/performance. I wouldn't trade it for anything else on the market.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
i think vivid/cinema/standard are just presets, i don't think they change anything other than the basic settings which can be manually adjusted.

TomK

Stunt Coordinator
I've had this set for about three weeks. I found that the set, although good out of the box, does need to be calibrated. I selected the Standard mode and calibrated that for DVD. We watched Monsters, Inc. this weekend and it was Awesome!! I have had some questions about grainy-ness but I believe that is the way some movies are recorded by directors. I don't yet have a high def box so I can't comment on that. Get Avia and calibrate yourself until you can afford to get it Pro calibrated.
Tom

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
I'm thinking about this set ($1710 shipped from onecall) or the pioneer sd533HD ($2250 shipped from onecall).

I'll be using the setfor 4x3 games (stretched into 16x9) an dvds (16x9).

Does anyone think the stretch is bad on the panasonic, or anyone played games on it?
The $500 is worth it, if indeed the stretch on the pioneer is unbeatable (its' a non elite though..)

-ELmO

Ming Wang

Agent
I believe you can change all those settings (color, tint, brightness etc.) for all three modes, e.g., you can make vivid less colorful and lower brightness than standard if you want...

I don't see red push on my TV with Avia. but green is slightly over 0%.

Monsters, Inc is digital to digital transfer as far as I know, thus there should be no and I didn't see grain on it. the picture is wonderful... some other movies do have visible grain though.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Kevin, in my experience, this year's Panasonics have very little red-push from the factory. The grey scale balance may be towards the reds though and perhaps this is the problem. To check for red-push, adjust the set using your AVIA disc, then use the Color Decoder Check pattern and report back your findings.

If the problem is in fact the grey scale balance and not the color decoder, then trying setting the Color Temperature parameter to a lower setting than you have it at now.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
ELMO, the stretch on the Panny is outstanding. My wife was totally against a 16X9 TV because she didn't like the idea of stretching the image, but after I showed her the "JUST" mode, her words verbatim were: "I can live w/ that!" Haven't heard a peep from her since.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks