What's new

Outlaw's ICBM like X20/X30 controller? (1 Viewer)

Takosan

Stunt Coordinator
Is Outlaw's ICBM like the X20/X30 controllers from Paradigm? If so which has more bang for the buck?
TIA,
Takosan

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
The Outlaw ICBM works in analog mode. It takes analog output from a multi-channel DVD-A or SACD (or receiver or preamp) and does bass management for the setup as per your wishes.
Regards,
------------------
John Kotches
Contributing Writer
Link Removed

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Takosan: Yes, they are both analog external crossovers.
But there is one important difference. The X-30 is 2 channel and the ICBM can handle up to 6 channels (plus the .1 LFE channel.)
As John notes, THE reason for the ICBM's existence is the fact that the multi-channel formats SACD and DVD-A have minimal or no bass management during playback.
I own both an Outlaw ICBM and a Paradigm X-30. In fact, I replaced my X-30 with my new ICBM. I wanted to have ALL of my bass management controlled by the ICBM. (I have bypassed the bass management in my processor.) By choosing to do so, I can add an SACD or DVD-A at any time and have full bass redirection. A big added plus is that the ICBM allows different crossover settings for the mains, center and surrounds. For now, mine are 60 Hz(mains), 100 Hz (center), and 120 Hz (surrounds). So far, I am very pleased with the ICBM in my setup.
If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to help.
------------------

Brian Schucher

Supporting Actor
Just a thought. Can i use this with my receiver? My receiver has default xover set at 100mhz. Can i take my 6 pre/outs then into the ICBM and then back into my 6 channel input of the Marantz and now have full control over my bass management with the ICBM?? Thanx

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Brian: No, because in order for you to hear the ICBM, you would have to choose the 5.1 input as the source. So the CD, DVD, Tuner and whatever would no longer be playing...
Download & take a look at the manual. http://pdf.outlawaudio.com/outlaw/docs/icbm_manual.pdf It will show the different hookups that the ICBM can accomplish.
------------------
[Edited last by Chuck Kent on October 14, 2001 at 12:20 AM]

Brian Schucher

Supporting Actor
Oh duh.. Thats true. Didnt remember that the 5.1 input is considered its own source on the reciever.. Thanx

Takosan

Stunt Coordinator
Thanx all! Along the lines of what Brian was saying I guess we can feed Outlaw's ICBM an amplified signal?
Brian: I guess you & I were thinking about the same thing. I too have the Marantz & was thinking along the lines on bass mgmt using the pre-outs. In the past I've read about using the pre-out & then feeding it back through the Marantz but never tried it.
Takosan

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Takosan: FWIW, I would be more comfortable in saying that the ICBM can accept PRE-amplified signals (ie. sitting between a pre-amp and an amp.)
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks