What's new

outlaw separates vs ... (1 Viewer)

greg_bun

Grip
So, when I started getting into this HT craze, I had a budget - around $1500 for speakers (5) and $500 for a receiver. Since reading this forum and a couple others, I've got the bug to go more. I keep moving up (in expense) and quality hopefully. My last plan was to go for the NAD 752 receiver ($899) after I had decided on the Denon 3802 which is now the 1082. But now I'm thinking maybe I should go for separates. So the question I have is about outlaw 950/7100 combo - would this be a better choice over the NAD? I would like to go up even further to Rotel separates, but I've also got to eat and I do need to set some kind of limit.
I'm still pretty sold on B&W 602 front/601 rear, however, I have heard some other nice ones. I found a store that sells Paradigm, which is probably the only 'major' speaker company that I can afford that I have not heard.
Any opinions? This is a great forum to research and learn!

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Considering your budget, going to the Outlaw set up would double your original budget.

My advice to you is to stick with your budget since you would be doubling it. Once you get more cash, then start to audition other equipment. By that time, you should have a good idea of your likes and dislikes overall. Being a noob a couple years ago, I jumped right into separates since I had the cash. It was hard to determine what sound/features I liked and everytime I was ready to buy, something within fiancial reach was released pushing my budget out of

Outlaw, Rotel as well as others will still be around when you are ready to step up to separates.

Good choice in the 602/601 combo. I cut my teeth with those and have moved up a bit to the CDM line in the past year. Scour the used market for good values too. Speakers and amps tend to be safer bets than pre's and players.

Also have you budgeted for an SVS sub? :b Gotta have a good sub for HT.

Bob

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Greg,

So the question I have is about outlaw 950/7100 combo - would this be a better choice over the NAD?
Probably yes, but its more than doble the price of the NAD, for me it isnt a fair comparision.

Try to limit your budget, as you started, or higher if you want, but try to search for stuff inside your budget. If you continiue you will go with Pre/pro $3000 and amps $3000 or even more. This hobby is great, you can make it as expensive as you like or can. But start with your budget and enjoy it, then you will have upgraditis as all of us, and the by you own judgment you can start upgrading what you like or think that can make a big change on your current setup. But if you got the money an like what you hear and think it is worth buy it, there is nothing like having the remorse after that you could gone better. But the best advice that I can give you is,

1) Set your budget
2) Define what is going to be your preference (music/movies)
3) Research here about the different options you have with in your budget and preferences.
4) And most important, AUDITION, AUDITION, AUDITION, as much as you can.

Hope it helps,

greg_bun

Grip
Thanks for the advice from both of you - very thoughtful and informative!! My girlfriend thanks you also - she would prefer I spend this extra money on her!!

What things would make a receiver good for music and not so for HT, or vice-versa? I can think of power to all 5 channels - what other things should I know?

Also, I see quite a bit about the used market for audio equipment. Is that how many upgrade - sell their current stuff to move up to something 'better'? Is there really a big market in used audio equipment? What places should I check and what do I look for? Does one get to 'test drive' something for a period of time before the sale is final?

Daniel T.

Agent
What places should I check and what do I look for?
www.audiogon.com

I spend WAY too much time on that site poking around, its sure fun tho. As to the test drive, you'd prolly have to eat the shipping costs if the seller was warm to the idea of an audition. Audiogon has a nicely cross-linked site, allows much communication between seller and buyer, never hurts to ask ya know?

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Greg,

Does one get to 'test drive' something for a period of time before the sale is final?
It depends on the dealer, mine usally let me take it for a couple of days, so I can make a descition at home, but its a dealers policy. But usually good dealers let you take the equipment home.

Good luck,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks