What's new

Other Home Theater Forums: What have they got that HTF doesn't? (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
They have overlapping and unique members, just like ours :D This was the first one I came to when I ventured forth onto the net. I noticed the friendliness, civility, and wealth of knowledge immediately. I got comfortable, and here I am. Day in and day out. Day in and day out. Day in and day out...you get the picture. I've got friends here, so I come back.
It's been worth it beyond words. Even with fine fellows such as yourself, Paul ;)
Take care,
Chuck

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Speaking as a long time member, less a moderator, I really think that the HTF is the most broad of the available sites. All of them have a specialty, one main appeal, while the HTF seems to cover all areas generally. Certainly, I think the strength here is on Software, but despite Tommy Ceez's post to the contrary, the hardware area is decent.

It all depends on your desires. If I'm looking for technical info, like how to take apart and rebuilt a device in my HT like Richard Dean Anderson- I would likely turn to AVS. If I'm just looking for which comes out of the box and plugs in with the best picture- HTF does a fine job.

If I'm looking for info on an upcoming release, the HTF does great-- if I'm wanting to see how to beat up columbia house for a few DVDs, then the bargains area at DVDtalk can't be beat.

Again- everything seems to have developed a specialty, but I think the HTF has the broadest coverage.

-Vince

PS; Another element that i feel the HTF really has begun to shine in is BASICS AREA. The HTF basics area (and the FAQ and PRIMER) have been a very big hit since the launch last year.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Vince nailed it, certain sites do some thing's better or more extensively than HTF, but HTF is definitely the broadest and most inclusive I've seen yet.

AVS Forums is good for absolutely mind numbing technical analysis (in the best way), HDTV discussion, and HTPC building.

Home Theater Spot! is great for tweaking of RPTVs and other DIY FAQs, although that info is subscription only.

There are others, but I pretty much cruise HTF on a daily basis and only check in on the others maybe once a week...

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I find that HTF has the best combination of intelligent, divergent views on films presented in a civil (and humorous) manner of any of the sites with which I am familiar.

I agree with Vince’s assessment of broadness. That scope combined with the discussion on movies, make this the premier site.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Another element that i feel the HTF really has begun to shine in is BASICS AREA. The HTF basics area (and the FAQ and PRIMER) have been a very big hit since the launch last year.
Vince, actually this to me is the cornerstone. I still frequent that area from time to time. It is almost a right of passage for the beginner. We encourage dumb questions (even though there are none) and such, that is very inviting. It makes the world of HT a little less intimidating when the hardcore cats lend their knowledge.
I do frequent other sites, but don't find it neccessary to compare or mention them here.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I'm really not qualified to answer this question because I never visit any other forums. With the HTF around, I really have no need to.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
It seems pretty relaxed to me, heck do other forums even have an After Hours Lounge?

On the other hand, I would certainly agree as far as the movie forum is concerned: There is a very low tolerance for negative opinions of classics. Anything less than gushing praise and you will be treated to yet another rant on how your movie tastes suck because of MTV, CGI, George Lucas, Michael Bay, Saddam Hussein and your mother.

Many of those who actually dare to express negative opinions of classics usually precede them with a ridiculous amount of disclaimers. Some actually apologize! That is how bad it is.

But then again, I am not sure how many HT sites out there have movie forums, so you do with what you have.

--
Holadem

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
I find the HomeTheaterSpot a great resource for information about my Mitsubishi RPTV. I think most people would agree with that. HTS's brand specific forums can be helpful as well. I check AVS Forum primarily when I'm looking for information about HDTV Hardware and HD programming. Their local HD area is an excellent resource. HTF I check for just about everything else, especially when I'm looking for categorically related info, like Speaker questions or Reciever questions. HTF also has the best DVD, TV and Movie information and the "Lounge" is unparalleled!:emoji_thumbsup:
Ralph

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
HTF is my #1 site. I also like the Knappster's forum (more of a lurker than poster), and I visit DVD Talk now and then for the bargains section and videogame section. Their game section doesn't compare to ours though. ;)
There are other forums out there that are very good, but HTF seems to be tops to me (and many others). :emoji_thumbsup:
-Dean-

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
HTF has me. Very few forums can say that. :D
But to restate something said earlier:
I've tried a few other DVD/movie related forums, and whenever I feel myself getting pulled into a conversation, I think "I'd rather chat this topic up at HTF"...and then I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks