What's new

Optical cables - how to treat them? (1 Viewer)

Cagri

Second Unit
Well I've just bought an optical cable to hook my CD player along its good ol' analog connection so that I'll compare the sound. My receiver is in a closet and I had a hard time to fit the cable to the receiver trying to locate the place of the input jack by the help of a mirror and a torchlight while the doggy was picking me at the back, man it was a tough work! Anyways, the receiver is a Denon 1802 and I guess the toslink input doesn't have a protective cap cause I couldn't feel anything to be removed and I forced the cable into the receiver missing the hole several times and I possibly scratched the tip if it gets scratched by the plactic frame on the receiver's input. I countless times touched the tip as well by the way.

My question is; how sensitive are these optical cables? If I don't hear anthing wrong with the sound shall I assume the cable is OK to use or are there any risks using a damaged cable?

Thanks for any input.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Ummm, are you trying to say in not so many words that you don't get anything out from the optical connection? I wouldn't be too sure about it not having a protective cap as virtually everyone that I've ever seen does. Me, I'd remove it and just test matters by shining a light down one end and seeing if light comes out the other. If it does then there are no caps. If it doesn't then either you haven't removed the cap or somehow you've broken the cable.

Cagri

Second Unit
There were caps on both ends of the cable and I removed them. The receiver's optical input did not look like to have a protective cap. I managed to make the connection, and there is sound. I am concerned about the abuse I've done to the cable tip while trying to fit it in.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
OK. Well you didn't break it so unless you want to take it out and clean the ends with a little isopropyl alcohol (use the one at the auto store, it doesn't have any oils in it and you can use the rest for your car) I'd just forget about it. If you start having dropouts, then I'd investigate the cleaning.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
quote:

I guess the toslink input doesn't have a protective cap cause I couldn't feel anything to be removed

I think your receiver has a little door that protects the optical input. So when you push it in with something(ie. the optical cable or your finger) it opens. Then it will shut again once the object is removed.:)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Some do some don't. Mine has little things you need to remove that protect the input. Some are open and use "doors".

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah some have little square-mushroom things that snap into the jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks