What's new

Opinions wanted .. Toshiba widecreen .. (1 Viewer)

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
I Should be able to get either the 42H81 or the 50H81. In some ways i want to go with the 42 to save money....but in others i wouldnt mind spending a little more to get a bigger screen.. cant wait either way.What should i do?

Do either of them have VGA ports so i can run dreamcast through it? I have an xbox and am looking froeward to playing that too,and also dvd in 16:9 mode. opinions? thoughts? thanks in advance

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
thanks... so you are saying i wont be able to get the best pic from my DC on the new tv? Should i just keep using my monitor? thanks again

Atho

Agent
yea use your computer moniter.......I tried using my DC with composite cable on my 34inch widecreen, looked like shit....so I thought if i got the S-video connecter it would improve it, but it didn't.

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
One more question.. any website reviews someone can provide the link(s) to on the 50H81? Thanks in advance. Also any owners of the 50H81 (the one i will be going with) feel free to give me your thoughts on this set.:)

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I was at Best Buy today and the 50" was only $100 more than the 42", so price shouldn't be much of an issue. It's a difficult choice, as the 42" has a better picture and won't damage your soundstage as much, while the 50" has a bigger picture and, therefore, more impact.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Andrew,
The Tosh is a well regarded set, I think you'll be quite happy with it. Definitely go with the bigger one. You'll find lots of info on them over at Home Theater Spot, in the Tosh forum.

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
:b .. Well... I guess i shouldn't have said "last question in my last post.
I have 2 DVD players (X-box and panasonic LV55). Neither one of course displays progressive scan. I was wondering, since the 50H81 has a line doubler, will that technically make up for not having a progressive scan DVD player? Thanks again.:)

Brian Schucher

Supporting Actor
Alot of people have felt that the line doubler in the H/HX81 lines of Toshibas do a very good job and the benifits of a progressive scan player will not be huge.. I have had both an interlaced and now progressive player hooked up to my 65HX81 and while i do see slight differences..its surely not night and day

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
Suprise,suprise... another question.:D
I have looked for any info on this,and forgive me if it sounds silly, but for a tv like the 50H81 (or RPTV), do they still have to be placed a good distance away from speakers that are not magnetically shielded the same way on ordinary TV would? Just curious, and will arrange the room accordingly. thanks again.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Another point, the Toshibas dont use conventional line doubling, they use interpolation which digitally recreates the missing line from the information of surrounding lines, and taking out the 'bad' video, instead of just mixing the two lines togehter in some other brands.
more on interpolation: http://www.dtp-aus.com/interpol.htm

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
I have had my 50H81 since last September, and like it very much. When I switched from my Sony interlaced DVD player to a Panasonic RP91 progressive, I hardly noticed any difference (aside from the excellent scaling feature of the Panasonic.

As this is my first projection set, I was somewhat unprepared by the fact that excess ambient light plays merry hell on the reflective screen (you'll need to close blinds in the daytime).

Cheers

chung

Stunt Coordinator
The speakers can be placed adjacent to the screen with no impact. The CRT is much smaller and is located quite far away from the edge of the screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks