What's new

Opinions on VMPS Larger subwoofer (1 Viewer)

Al Garay

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

Has anyone compared the VMPS Larger to a DIY sub like the Stryke AV series or Adire or other drivers frequently discussed here?

I can get the VMPS Larger kit for about $279 plus $112 for the Megawoofer option. $391 seems tempting for the kit without cabs.

I'm strongly leaning towards buying a Stryke AV15, one of the B-stock that John expects to get for $165, and putting it in a sealed enclosure. Perhaps with a Linkwitz transform circuit to reduce the size of the enclosure. I'm still looking at design ideas (which Qtc .57 or .7 to target) and amplification (Rythmik 380W plate amp or QSC MX1500a from eBay, Crown CE2000,...)and active crossover.

My main speakers are Ellis Audio 1801s which have F3 of 40Hz. Hoping for more authority in the low end, which might mean cutting off the mains at 60 or 80Hz depending on how well the sub handles the upper bass. I'm also craving for more extension (though not boomy) when watching DVDs. My room is 17'W x 22'D x 8'H with the stereo/tv along the 17' wall... with wood laminate flooring over a concrete slab.

I have read very good comments about how well balanced the VMPS Larger is for music and HT. I expect the AV15 will be good as well.

I appreciate your advice,

Al Garay
Seattle WA 98177

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Since Cheney refuses to publish any meaningful performance parameters regarding his drivers and PR's, a meaningful comparison between his subs and other DIY units isn't possible.

Enquiring minds wonder the reasoning behind this behavior? :)

Al Garay

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Thomas. I see your point. It would be difficult to do a technical comparison, which is the most valuable.

I will settle for subjective opinions.

I know that there are a few people such as Tyson among others who have heard the VMPS Larger and VMPS Original.
And I know in Colorado, you guys have access/heard many different DIY subs including Blueprint, AV12, Adire DPL12s.

If I'm going to use a Pro type amplifier like a QSC MX1500a, which I've seen on eBay for $350, what would you recommend I use for a crossover ... sub to my 1801s?

I appreciate your advice,

Al

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Al

[rant mode on] :)

Some that are frequent posters on forums IMHO don't have an adequate basis for comparison when it comes to recommending gear. They do however have an opinion...FWIW.

There is a tendency for a 'product of the year' mentality, something that gets rave reviews then falls from grace. Sort of a lemming midset at work if you get my drift. A good example of this is of course nOrh.

Also understand that these same people providing the glowing reviews are getting the products at fairly steep discounts. That's because the retailer is discounting price in order to get enough orders to 'buy' the new product line. I'm not saying that discounting is bad, but it certainly can influence how one perceives their purchase.

I haven't heard the VMPS subs. The truth being that given the info that is published isn't all that appealing to me.

BTW I'm not the least bit impressed by CES product of the year awards. These awards are frequently political and don't necessarily represent a comparison between the best products. This is especially true since at Las Vegas many products aren't shown at the CES proper. They are instead shown at other venues, there by not qualitying for the award consideration.......

[rant mode off] :D

Also I'm spoiled. I compare everything to my big IB. If something isn't close to it in performance, I'm not interested. That BTW is the reason I abandoned PR based designs.

I don't think that you can go wrong with one of the more popular DIY designs Brahama, Tumult, AV-15, HE-15, etc. Despite the thousands of threads extolling the virtues of one driver over another, my experience is that any of the current crop of high performance woofers will provide extremely good sound quality. And as a matter of fact I doubt that they could be differentiated in a blind test if placed in optimal cabinets

PS, I'm NOT a fan of using switching amps for reproduction of frequencies above 350Hz. They do a fine job for subwoofer use.

RayJK

Stunt Coordinator
I've had a VMPS larger for about 10 years. It is one of the best buys in the sub world IMHO. For under $500 (10 years ago) there was nothing that would come close. With the mega woofer option it is still a decent unit but I think there are others that will do as well in a smaller box now.

For comparison I also have a GMAS which was listed at 10 times the price of the VMPS and I just finished a giant sub of multiple 18" drivers built into a closet (89 cu ft) under the stairs.

I can't say anything bad about the VMPS larger, it served me well for many years and is still doing it's thing in a second system. The best part is that it can be tuned to match your taste in bass and not many others have that ability.

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
Thomas,

Does that mean you're not 100% convinced the Larger sub will do 115dB at 20Hz, as mentioned at the VMPS site?

Steve

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Steve

Lots of subs can do 115dB at 20Hz in testing situations.

After building several subs that received high praise on the 'net'; I realized that most people's definition of a great sub is one that will play extremely loud.....

My concern with a sub is the quality of the bass, not necessarily the absolute quantity of SPLs produced. If the finger picking of a bass guitar is so distorted that it instead sounds like a organ note, what's the point?

Al Garay

Stunt Coordinator
I have decided to go with the AV15 in a dual 18" PRs, 1600 gram each. John has been a pleasure to deal with, very responsive. And I want to see him do well.

I also was very interested in the Lambda Acoustics SB15 or PB15. I hope Nick does well also.

John is making it easy for a beginner by providing me with everything including the cabinet plans for a kit that he has that is similar to the Power 15.2 using the AV15... it's a 24" cube that should have more extension than my 22 foot ladder.

I'll have to save my money to buy a good amp and crossover. I'm now leaning towards a pro-amp like a QSC or Crown with an active crossover.... not sure which one.

Thanks for the advice,

Al

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks