What's new

Opinions on the Pioneer SD532HD5? (1 Viewer)

JeffreyC

Auditioning
I found a floor model SD532HD5 for 3449 including a 5 year extended parts and labor warrenty and annul professional calibration. The only downside to the purchase is the remote has gone missing and I'll probably need to buy a new one. So far I've seen a few people in the forum have the model but didn't review them or list pros/cons per se. What do people think of this model? I was impressed by it for the most part in the store and it had been recently tweaked by the pioneer rep so it was looking good for show room floor, I believe the tv debueted in December or so so it can't have been on the floor too long and no evidence of burn in was evident. What do you all think?
Anythoughts would be really appreciated!
Thanks
Jeff

MarcS

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I've got its "big brother", the SD582, and am very happy. You probably hear more about other sets, like the Tosh or Mits, because more people have bought them? Or maybe we're just so happy with our Pioneers, that we're too busy watching them to post how happy we are... :) Or they just have to work that much harder to get a picture like the Pioner, so they ask a lot of advice?? (hey, just a little ribbing...in good humor)
Several reviews have found the color temp to be very close to D6500 right out of the box.
Lock into full mode really isn't an issue--at least not for me.
I'm not sure that price is all that great--especially for a floor model, depends on how much the extended warranty costs. My SD582 was $4000 at a local dealer--it's possible I could have done an internet purchase, but with shipping, the lowest prices still came real close to the $4k I paid--plus I've got a local dealer for support.
------------------

Steve_Howard

Auditioning
I would have to say that this is not a great deal. It's not a ripoff either. You can get an 5 year extended warranty from Suttertel.com for $249 and it's a Philips warranty. This makes the price $3200 for a floor model that's missing the remote. If it was me, I would pass. BTW, I think this is one awesome TV. I don't own one, but almost did. You may want to check with other local shops or maybe try finding an HDTV you can price match at Sears. Just my two cents.
Steve
------------------

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit
I have the 532 and it's an excellent TV. However, I would never, ever, ever buy a floor model TV. I can promise you that that thing has been run 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, for months with the brightness and contrast set on 11. This drastically reduces the lifetime of the TV. I doubt that the extended warranty covers the loss of brightness and eventual yellowing of the picture due to overuse of the CRTs that you will experience.

JeffreyC

Auditioning
I've deceided against buying the floor model on this TV. It sounds like a bad deal the more I think of it especially since the tv came out last december not this one past. I'm still interested in what people think of this model so any other feedback would be apprecaited.
One thing is my currnet DVD player is not progressive scan and lacks component out. I'd probably need to upgrade that as well to get a really good/clean picture right?

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,
FYI.. I paid $3680 (total, including delivery) for a brand new Pioneer SD-582-HD5 (58" set). Purchased it from onecall.com and got them to price match one of the lower net prices I had found. I could have had the 532 for about $500 less.
I absolutely LOVE the set. Even more so since I removed the protective (glare) screen. And, yes, you really need a progressive scan player to get the most out of ANY 16:9 set. The images are, frankly, quite stunning!
Mark
------------------
Our Home Theater
Our DVD Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks