What's new

Opinions on the non-Region 1 DTS Disney discs... (1 Viewer)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
On the advice of this board I recently picked up Finding Nemo Region 3 with a DTS-ES matrix track and hope to have it grace my doorstep soon.

Now I'm trying to get the scoop on the A/V quality of some of these other exclusive DTS Disney and/or PIXAR discs:

Monsters Inc.
Mulan
The Lion King
Aladdin

and any other DTS versions I seem to be missing.

If at all possible I would like to stick with NTSC discs unless a certain PAL region has a lock on it. I'm not too keen on the PAL speedup problem (which I hope they address with the new HD disc formats).

For example I had heard that The Lion King in Asia had some edge enhancement that the Region 1 version did not, so I was wondering if the Region 4 Brazillian disc was the one to get (since they usually use the same video transfers as the Region 1 versions due to our Hollywood studios putting them out rather than a regional distributor), etc.

Thanks for your help!

Dan

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
First of all I haven´t heard that there should be any big difference in PQ quality between the regions, but often R1 is THX certified and other regions are not. Disney is distributing The Lion King for R3 also, so there should not be a major difference. Second I don´t think that Mulan and Aladdin has a DTS track on other regions (I can´t find any edition).

So go for R3 DTS editions of The Lion King and Monster´s Inc., and buy the R1 editions of Mulan and Aladdin. I have not considered the extras.

Moz

Agent
Got a lot in France, but in... FRENCH !!!

NEMO is just fabulous, as is the R3 DTS-ES track.
Aladdin here, in french DTS, is average, better mix in english DOLBY.
THE LION KING is greater in french DTS than the UK DTS version.
French and japan version of MONSTER's Inc in DTS-ES are also great.
Got an Australian DTS A BUG'S LIFE witch is wonderful...
We've got TARZAN coming up in french DTS (good version) this month, MULAN, ALICE IN WONDERLAND, BAMBI (i prefer the monaural version :)).
Fabulous LILO & STITCH and TREASURE PLANET in french DTS.
Were're kind of lucky in here... but you've definitely need to speak french :)

In France going slightly off topic there was a marvellous edition of a Disney Pierre Lambert BOOK on Blanche Neige (Snow White), it was never released in the US.

Wonder what the French Blanche Neige Snow White DVD was like was like and is it still available on Amazon?

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I watched the R3 HK DTS version of Monsters Inc recently. It has considerably more Edge Enhancement than the R1. So much that I had to turn it off half way through and put in the R1.

The R3 DTS version of Nemo looks good though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks