What's new

Opinions on Polk speakers vs. PSB or Paradigm? (1 Viewer)

Jim Zanbehr

Agent
I'm looking to buy some new front main speakers and a center for a total in the $500.00 range. I've read quite a few posts on this forum praising PSB and Paradigm. I was wondering if anyone had opinions on how Polk speakers in that price range compare to PSB or Paradigm?

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
PSB and Paradigm are both comparable brands from Canada, and offer excellent price/performance ratio. IMHO, these 2 brands are better than Polk, whose quality has been steadily dropping over the years. I'm not so sure about their new speakers though. Personally, I prefer PSB to Paradigm, as their lineup caters to a wider audience, and personally I think their flagship Stratus Goldi, which I have, is quite a bit better than Paradigm's flagship, the Reference Studio 100.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Do not write off Polk just yet. After hearing a pair of RT35i's against my Mission speakers and listening to my friend's RT1000p's, Polk's RT speakers not only deserve awards for build quality and tight, accurate sound, they deserve a spot on either side of your TV. If I had to do it all over again, I'd have opted for RTi speakers in a heartbeat. Give em a listen.

Chip E

Screenwriter
If these are the three you are considering, there's no doubt in my mind PSB should be at the top of your list. Six months ago when i was auditioning new speakers i listened to speakers from Polk,PSB and Paradigm. I liked the Paradigm's quite a bit however, PSB's blew me away with their imaging & clarity... incredible speakers.. ya get alot for your money. Polk didn't impress me too much...very colored sound IMO. Keep in mind speakers are an extremely personal descision. What sounds one way to one person may sound very different to another. I bought the Stratus Silveri 's, C6i center (all in high gloss piano black) and Image 10S surround's. Check out the Image line...you get alot of speaker for your money that's for sure. Good luck and have fun auditioning...i did :)
- Chip

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
I auditioned all the brands you mentioned yesterday. I settled on a Pair of Yamaha NS-A200XT tower speakers. I only need a pair of fronts. My budget was $400. The only speakers that I disliked were the Polks in that price bracket. I used 'Phantom of the Opera, Music Of The Night' As sung by Sarah Brightman as audition material. The Polks Fell totally apart at loud, but not extreme volumes (audible distortion in mid to low freqs). For my money, and taste, the Yamaha's were the best fit for my room and existing equipment. You need to Take your own demo music with you and insist they let you play it, that's the only way to shop for speakers.

Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks