What's new

Onkyo 696 vs. Kenwood VR-509 (1 Viewer)

Lon_Coleman

Agent
I was set on getting the Onkyo 696, but I was just reading some reviews and saw that the Kenwood VR-509 has very similar features at half the cost.
I have heard great things about the Onkyo, but is it worth the extra $250 for about the same options??
One more thing... I can get the Onkyo 595 for $209, is the Component Video switching worth it.
Thanks in advance...

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

ColinW

Agent
For what its worth I have the Kenwood VR509 in my system and I am very pleased with it. I have never used the Onkyo 696, but if it has the same features as the Kenwood I would save the money and go with the Kenwood. I have not had any problem in my system and previous to this receiver I used a Kenwood VR410 which was similar. No problems there either.
Colin

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Personally, I simply didn't like the sound of the Kenwoods in comparison to the Onkyos. The Onkyo just sounded warmer and cleaner to me, especially at reference levels. I ended up getting the Onkyo 595, and it's an excellent piece of equipment.
That being said, both companies are putting out some damn nice gear right now and you'll be happy with either unit. I strongly recommend auditioning the two side-by-side if possible so you can compare how each sounds. In the Kenwood's favor, I believe it lets you adjust the Pro-Logic 2 settings (width, dimension, etc.), whereas the Onkyos use the Dolby defaults and allow no adjustment. However, I found the adjustments rather unnecessary in my room, since DPL-2 sounds damn good with the defaults (and it gives me one less thing to tweak for hours on end).

Lon_Coleman

Agent
There was 9 available yesterday on Ubid.com I didn't get one. But I emailed the guy that was offering them and he said there will be more coming soon.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I used to own the VR-309. It was a very good receiver for the price, with HT, but didn't cut it for music at all. The Onkyo 575x, despite being rated at 75wpc (vs 100wpc for the 309) was lightyears ahead sound quality wise, and was also LOUDER! I don't know how much better the 509 is, but I would go with the Onkyo still.
--
Holadem

Albert M

Stunt Coordinator
Also in Kenwoods favor, the VR-509 also has SRS Circle Surround.
[Edited last by Albert M on November 16, 2001 at 06:48 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks