What's new

Olivia Newton John, star of Grease, dies at 73 (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
She really captured something in her portrayal of Sandy. She gave a generation (actually, several generations) a vision of a wholesome young woman to be admired. And by all accounts, she was a lovely person in real life.

I suspect her life was rough for several years with treatments. RIP.
I think I read that Olivia got the part because Marilu Henner couldn’t do it, due to scheduling conflict.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
She really captured something in her portrayal of Sandy. She gave a generation (actually, several generations) a vision of a wholesome young woman to be admired. And by all accounts, she was a lovely person in real life.

I suspect her life was rough for several years with treatments. RIP.

JC Riesenbeck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
Grease on 4K is simply astounding. Previous releases were lackluster, to say the least. I would rate it in the top ten of my collection as far as transfers go. At least I'll have it whenever I want to visit Sandy and Danny.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
As a teenage boy, I fell hopeless in love with Olivia Newton-John back in the '70's, and simply adored her in Grease. It's still my favorite musical that's not from the earlier classic era for that genre. Olivia, I will always be Hopelessly Devoted to You.

RIP

Last edited:

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
I think I read that Olivia got the part because Marilu Henner couldn’t do it, due to scheduling conflict.
No. Marilu Henner was never under consideration for the role of "Sandy" in "Grease". The top candidates for the role were: Deborah Raffin, Susan Dey and Marie Osmond. Marie almost got the part but she was opposed to the character's transformation at the end and backed out.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
No. Marilu Henner was never under consideration for the role of "Sandy" in "Grease". The top candidates for the role were: Deborah Raffin, Susan Dey and Marie Osmond. Marie almost got the part but she was opposed to the character's transformation at the end and backed out.
Thank goodness. Without the transformation, Grease would be severely lacking, although the Los Angeles Times reviewer at the time didn't like the transformation either as I recall (Charles Champlin I think). We especially liked Stockard Channing in "Grease", as well as Newton-John. Well, shoot, we liked everybody.

Side Bar. Years ago we had a choice when buying tickets for "The King and I". Marie Osmond at the Pantages, or later at South Coast Rep with Hayley Mills. We opted for Hayley Mills because of teenage crushes, but it was a mistake. Mills couldn't sing, forgot lyrics, had to be prompted by the conductor. Seemed distracted the entire performance. It was a sad evening. We wished we could have seen Osmond, who has a beautiful voice and a professional persona.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I mostly remember ONJ for her music career. I was a little too young to care about Grease or Xanadu, but "Physical", "Heart Attack", and "Twist of Fate" are some of the earliest radio pop songs in my consciousness.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Is it true that Henner was in the original play, before the film was green-lit?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
From Wikipedia:

While a student at the University of Chicago in the Hyde Park neighborhood of Chicago, Henner originated the role of "Marty" in the Kingston Mines production of Grease in 1971. When the show was discovered and moved to Broadway, she was asked to reprise the role; however, she chose instead to play "Marty" in the national touring company alongside John Travolta, who played "Doody".

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
From Wikipedia:
Yes, this is semi-correct. Henner actually opted not to audition for the New York production because she had no faith it would succeed and instead went to college. Katie Hanley played the role Off-Broadway (Feb - June 1972) but when it moved to Broadway in June Hanley opted not make the move uptown so that she could spend time with her baby daughter. Meg Bennett assumed the role on Broadway. By this time the show was gaining momentum and was a hit and Henner expressed regret to Jim Jacobs (they are close friends) that she passed up the opportunity to be in the show in New York. A year later Jacobs called Henner and gave her the opportunity to audition for the role in the First National Touring Company and she wound up being cast.

This and so much more may be found within the pages of this recently released book:

1200x-1.jpg

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I couldn't imagine anyone other than Olivia in those tight pants. :emoji_cupid:

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Olivia (although born in England) is the second beloved Australian singer to pass away this month following the sad death of Judith Durham on 5 August.
I don't recall that name, but I do remember The Seekers and, of course, "Georgy Girl".

Guardyan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mattie
I'm still sad about her passing. ONJ will always have a special place in my heart and I just have so many good memories from watching Grease over and over. I wasn't born when the movie came out, but I do remember the first time my parents showed it to me and it instantly became one of my favorite movies.

Interestingly I've just learned that she was in a pop duo with Pat Carroll who passed away on Jun 30th! Bewildering to say the least.

Oh, and reading this thread gave me Pretty Woman feelings: the actress who passed on playing Sandy is just like phony Molly Ringwald who declined to play the role of Vivian that turned Julia Roberts into a megastar. Though Newton-John never got paid 20M to play a part in a Hollywood movie, she sure became an international superstar after Grease. Choose wisely they say...

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I was twelve when "Grease" came out and most everyone my age or a little older in the neighborhood would walk downtown and watch the film. We wound up going eight times that Summer.

Another movie I really like her in was "Sordid Lives". She's definitely not Sandy in that film.

MoonstruckinMaryland

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Majerowicz
I'm still sad about her passing. ONJ will always have a special place in my heart and I just have so many good memories from watching Grease over and over. I wasn't born when the movie came out, but I do remember the first time my parents showed it to me and it instantly became one of my favorite movies.

Interestingly I've just learned that she was in a pop duo with Pat Carroll who passed away on Jun 30th! Bewildering to say the least.

Oh, and reading this thread gave me Pretty Woman feelings: the actress who passed on playing Sandy is just like phony Molly Ringwald who declined to play the role of Vivian that turned Julia Roberts into a megastar. Though Newton-John never got paid 20M to play a part in a Hollywood movie, she sure became an international superstar after Grease. Choose wisely they say...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks