Old pro logic vs new digital stuff

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom bell, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Tom bell

Tom bell Auditioning

I watch 4-5 dvds a month with my 9 year old 100 watt sony pro logic receiver,which i think was an ok one in it's day. And still sounds good to me, but it's what I am used to. I am considering making the jump to a lower to mid priced receiver. My question is; Will I hear a huge difference or a modest one making this jump to dts and digital dolby, etc.? And if a big difference, is it worth spending the extra for a denon or h/k when a panasonic may do "good enough" for me for less money. I realize that "good enough" is very subjective, but any feedback would help me greatly. Thanks

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Tom,

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, you will hear a huge difference when going from Dolby-PL to Dolby Digital and DTS. What it's worth to you, $-wise, I cannot tell you. But instead of hearing some movement to the right and/or left on you front soundstage (+ some helping sounds from behind), you will start hearing five full channels plus separated bass effects. The whole experience is more enveloping and total (on DVDs with the proper audio - but that will be many!).

Cees

3. Joe Wyant

Joe Wyant Extra

I agree that you will hear a big difference with the digital sound, I did. I don't believe for 4-5 DVD's a month I would spend a ton of $, but I think you will see that you get what you pay for generally and I can tell you I have wasted a ton of money starting small and building up. I wish I would have just gone ahead and bought the good system first and gotten it over with. This home theater thing can be quite addicting. [​IMG]

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Name the budget. A decent recommendation can usually easily be made. I'd have to say it will depend on a few things, most notably what speakers you are running now. There are quite a few good receivers in the

5. Tom bell

Tom bell Auditioning

John,
    Thanks for the input. I am using Cambridge Soundworks Emsemble speakers with a passive sub. I am actually happy with these, especially for the price. I have read that many who use this system buy a powered sub to compliment. Do you feel it is worth adding another sub to this setup? My room is only about 15' square, volume is really not a problem.

I want a good receiver , but not one that is overkill for the speakers I have. Is the Denon 1403 a good option? I saw it for ~240.00 on ebay. Any other receiver suggestions for 350.00 or less?

Thanks,
    Tom

6. joe rizzuto

joe rizzuto Stunt Coordinator

depending on the movie, there can be a very big difference in sound. it was easily noticed when i went to my digital receiver. which, by the way, is an entry level onkyo. i did not want to spend alot of money either, didn't need all the bells and whistles, and i'm very happy with the set-up. as far as the sub, i have never had a passive sub but i did upgrade to a better model of active sub and, wow, what a difference, especially for the loud, blow 'em up movies.

7. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
  8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I think there is really no comparison at all. The jump from DPL to DD/dts is huge. You will want to listen to all of your DVD collection again.

9. Phil_Lunar

Phil_Lunar Stunt Coordinator

10. Reece

Reece Stunt Coordinator

Tom..

The Denon line of receivers are well built and should work nicely for you. I have owned 2 Denons and have been very pleased with their performance. You might be want to demo a couple of units before you make your final decision.

Good Luck!

11. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Tom, Phil's suggestion is what I would suggest. Cambridge Soundworks are pretty good speakers. You can get a pretty good receiver in the price range of 300.00 and using your old receiver to power the passive sub, you probably would say "sheeesh" why did I wait so long.

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

there are two main differences between prologic and digital.
    1. prologic only allows for limited frequency response to the rear speakers. digital allows for full spectrum response. you hear more sound with digital
    2. prologic is only a mono-signal to the rear speakers - the same sound is coming out of both speakers. digital is a *dedicated* rear signal to *each* speaker. you get better rear effects with digital - zooming sounds, etc.[/list=1]
      so there is quite a bit of difference. i recommend you visit some b&m stores and ask for a surround demo. i think you'll be surprised at how much better it will sound.
      350 is a decent budget for a receiver. take a look at denon, yamaha, and onkyo. they're all well respected. if you want a little more value, try kenwoods too.

13. Tom bell

Tom bell Auditioning

Thanks for all the help folks, I went with the 1603. Let you know how it sounds when I get it all together
    Tom

14. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I agreee with everyone else, the diffference is VERY big. I was very pleased when I made the switch a few years back.