What's new

Old pro logic vs new digital stuff (1 Viewer)

Tom bell

Auditioning
I watch 4-5 dvds a month with my 9 year old 100 watt sony pro logic receiver,which i think was an ok one in it's day. And still sounds good to me, but it's what I am used to. I am considering making the jump to a lower to mid priced receiver. My question is; Will I hear a huge difference or a modest one making this jump to dts and digital dolby, etc.? And if a big difference, is it worth spending the extra for a denon or h/k when a panasonic may do "good enough" for me for less money. I realize that "good enough" is very subjective, but any feedback would help me greatly. Thanks

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Tom,

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, you will hear a huge difference when going from Dolby-PL to Dolby Digital and DTS. What it's worth to you, $-wise, I cannot tell you. But instead of hearing some movement to the right and/or left on you front soundstage (+ some helping sounds from behind), you will start hearing five full channels plus separated bass effects. The whole experience is more enveloping and total (on DVDs with the proper audio - but that will be many!).

Cees

Joe Wyant

Grip
I agree that you will hear a big difference with the digital sound, I did. I don't believe for 4-5 DVD's a month I would spend a ton of $, but I think you will see that you get what you pay for generally and I can tell you I have wasted a ton of money starting small and building up. I wish I would have just gone ahead and bought the good system first and gotten it over with. This home theater thing can be quite addicting. :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Name the budget. A decent recommendation can usually easily be made. I'd have to say it will depend on a few things, most notably what speakers you are running now. There are quite a few good receivers in the

Tom bell

Auditioning
John,
Thanks for the input. I am using Cambridge Soundworks Emsemble speakers with a passive sub. I am actually happy with these, especially for the price. I have read that many who use this system buy a powered sub to compliment. Do you feel it is worth adding another sub to this setup? My room is only about 15' square, volume is really not a problem.

I want a good receiver , but not one that is overkill for the speakers I have. Is the Denon 1403 a good option? I saw it for ~240.00 on ebay. Any other receiver suggestions for 350.00 or less?

Thanks,
Tom

joe rizzuto

Stunt Coordinator
depending on the movie, there can be a very big difference in sound. it was easily noticed when i went to my digital receiver. which, by the way, is an entry level onkyo. i did not want to spend alot of money either, didn't need all the bells and whistles, and i'm very happy with the set-up. as far as the sub, i have never had a passive sub but i did upgrade to a better model of active sub and, wow, what a difference, especially for the loud, blow 'em up movies.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I think there is really no comparison at all. The jump from DPL to DD/dts is huge. You will want to listen to all of your DVD collection again.

Phil_Lunar

Stunt Coordinator
I am using Cambridge Soundworks Emsemble speakers with a passive sub.
If you want to start at low cost to experience Digital sound, here is a short tips : Keep your actual speakers(I asume you got 5 speakers?) and keep the passive sub as well.

All you need to buy is a good receiver(you can get good one for 300-400$).

then, use your old prologic 100W receiver to power your Passive sub, You will get pretty solid base this way at no cost! I got a pretty bad passive Kenwood sub power by my old Pionner 100W sereo receiver and I can tell you that it really shake the ground!

This way, you can get a pretty good setup for a cheap price!

Reece

Stunt Coordinator
Tom..

The Denon line of receivers are well built and should work nicely for you. I have owned 2 Denons and have been very pleased with their performance. You might be want to demo a couple of units before you make your final decision.

Good Luck!

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Tom, Phil's suggestion is what I would suggest. Cambridge Soundworks are pretty good speakers. You can get a pretty good receiver in the price range of 300.00 and using your old receiver to power the passive sub, you probably would say "sheeesh" why did I wait so long.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
there are two main differences between prologic and digital.
  1. prologic only allows for limited frequency response to the rear speakers. digital allows for full spectrum response. you hear more sound with digital
  2. prologic is only a mono-signal to the rear speakers - the same sound is coming out of both speakers. digital is a *dedicated* rear signal to *each* speaker. you get better rear effects with digital - zooming sounds, etc.[/list=1]
    so there is quite a bit of difference. i recommend you visit some b&m stores and ask for a surround demo. i think you'll be surprised at how much better it will sound.
    350 is a decent budget for a receiver. take a look at denon, yamaha, and onkyo. they're all well respected. if you want a little more value, try kenwoods too.

Tom bell

Auditioning
Thanks for all the help folks, I went with the 1603. Let you know how it sounds when I get it all together
Tom

Andre F

Screenwriter
I agreee with everyone else, the diffference is VERY big. I was very pleased when I made the switch a few years back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks