1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Old DVD player - Trash it or Repair it ?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by AndrewWong, Jul 24, 2005.

1. AndrewWong

AndrewWong Auditioning

Hi all,

I have a Pioneer DV-47 DVD player I bought in 2003 that's just gone back for repair.

It stopped reading DVDs and the repair guy says it needs a new pickup and another part.

The cost of the repair is not cheap - about US$80 and the parts are only warranted for 1 month from Pioneer.

Do you think I should fix it, or just buy a new US$80-120 DVD player to replace it entirely ?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I have a Pioneer Elite DV-47A (universal player that plays SACDs and DVD-As) in my bedroom system. If it went, I'd likely consider one of the newer universal players. Elite electronics I believe has a 2 yr. warranty. I depends how important SACD or DVD-A is for you if it is the same player we are talking about. If not important at all or one is more important than the other, it could help narrow down your selection process.

3. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Andrew, if this is your player, fix it!

Because $80 is cheap to fix something that sophisticated. And, its only two years old.

4. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

If it is the player that LanceJ has linked us to, then I would fix it.