What's new

Okay guys...posting a test pic but more to come if this works...be kind [laugh]. (1 Viewer)

Alan Lackey

Agent
I am a LONG time reader of this forum, though as you can see I have not posted nearly as much as most. I am going to post more pics once some additional furniture arises, so this is a test of getting the link to even work.
The links goes to a picture [bright and not optimized] of a custom wall unit I had built and just got installed. It has glass shelves on the left side which weren't in yet and had just been completed when I snapped this pic. The unit is phenomenal and pics don't do it justice, but it has a stone finish that was hand-troweled on and is just beautiful. Has several media drawers for all my CDs and DVDs as well. The dimmer for the lights is also remote controlled!
More pics of the new leather sectional and the rest of the room once I get it in Thursday.
Please don't laugh at my speakers...I am in the market for some new Axioms all the way around...and maybe I luck up and win one of those sweet SVS's!! [laugh].
I love this place...its a form of nirvana for me. Hopefully I will catch up with all the big boys in the hobby one day.
Thanks!
Alan
Alan's Home Theater

Loring

Stunt Coordinator
Quote from Goonies

"Holly Marry Mother of God!"

WOW, that is wicked cool. Very well thought out and the workmanship is spot on as far as I can see from the image. Would love to see some close ups..

Do not worry about your speakers. I bet a good portion of us started out with not to great speakers but others started with the best they could afford. Like myself I have been peice melding my system together started with fronts and center and receiver, then a bit down the road picked up my rears and now ill be ordering my subwoofer.

Can not wait until you get more of the photos up. But, while we wait on that. What is the run down of your equipment to ponder over.

I bet you will be enjoying that for a very long time.

Very impressive and clean. The style is great and functional. Makes me want to run out and buy a house so I can have cool things like that!

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Great picture! Good form and flow in the room, looks really nice. Now if only I could convince my parents we need a family setup. (i'm close.....just bought them a DVD player.....and run cheap KLH's through an old Sony receiver. about 10% there ;) )

Mark Brewer

Stunt Coordinator
WOW!!!!

I just wish I didn't open your site with my wife behind me. Now I've got your setup to live up to.

But..

That is an impressive room. We have begun the process of buying a home and I can't wait to have a dedicated room.

I have wall unit envy!!!

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
I don't know why anyone would laugh. The wall unit looks fantastic!
Regarding your speakers, don't worry. Not all of us start off with a $10k front pair :) My first setup (nearly 10 years ago) was a ProScan 4 head hifi VCR, Pioneer ProLogic receiver and Cambridge Soundworks speakers. It wasn't "top-o-the-line" but it was what I could afford at the time and served the purpose well in my apartment.
Can't wait to see some more pics!

Alan Lackey

Agent
Well I must say thanks for all the kind comments! We are really happy with the wall unit and I would recommend the company to anyone [and have].
Will add some more shots tomorrow once the sectional gets in.
What I am running at the moment is:
Pioneer SD-P5075 RPTV: [7yrs old, but great picture]
Sony STRDE-945: [know some dont like this line, but it sure sounds good to me]
Sony DVP-S3000: [one of the originals, but has great optics and picture]
Sony SLV-N50 VCR: [Dont use it much]
Sony SAT-A55 DSS Receiver:
Mini Advent IIs front and rear with Advent Center [forgot model #]
M&K MX-75 Subwoofer
Pronto TSU-2000 Remote: [Runs everything including Lutron IR controlled dimmers for sconce lighting]
I am looking to add Axiom speakers to the system front and back, but waiting on a sub in case I walk off with one of those sweet SVS giveaways [crossing fingers]!!
Anyway, thanks for the comments everyone.

WilliamM

Stunt Coordinator
Very Nice setup. Definitely nothing to laugh at! I have used advent speakers for many years and enjoyed each year. I'm looking forward to more pics

Matt Weyen

Stunt Coordinator
Sweet setup... the design is perfect, but I tend to like a dark color room for a home theater a little more. The design of your room in a darker color would be about the best theater setup I could imagine. Wish I had your setup!

l8r all-

MW

Alan Lackey

Agent
Yeah...color is something my wife and I have been discussing. Because we have more of a southwest theme [in the South no less!] much of our house is in neutral colors.

I would like to go with more of a mocha color on the walls in this room, which would go well with the overall scheme.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Front of the rooom is very nicely designed and neat, man do I like to see things neat. Very well done.

Scott_Sylke

Stunt Coordinator
WOW.....nice unit. Couple questions though......how far back from the screen are you sitting? It just seems like your mains are too far apart to get a good soundstage? Also.......once you do step up and get some nice speakers....I'm not sure you are going to want to put the center channel inside that cabinet? Although.....if the look is more important to you....I'm sure it'll be an good compromise.

Alan Lackey

Agent
The center channel cover is acoustic fabric, so I have the cover off the front of the speaker, and it actually is cleaner and clearer than when it was sitting on top of the TV prior to the wall unit being put in.

As for the separation of the fronts, yeah...I have taken those and listened to them in 6 inch increments starting about 8 feet apart to where they are now. I honestly am not hearing any "loss" of soundstage. But, I may not have the best trained ears in the world [laugh].

The "sweet spot" seat on the sectional will be about 12 feet from the screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks