What's new

Official STAR WARS Saga Discussion Thread: Part 5 (2 Viewers)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
No news. They didn't announce Obi-Wan movie. If there was a new movie to be announced, today, the 40th anniversary panel would have been appropriate to announce the future since they were celebrating the past.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
No news. They didn't announce Obi-Wan movie. If there was a new movie to be announced, today, the 40th anniversary panel would have been appropriate to announce the future since they were celebrating the past.
I'd have said that the 40th anniversary panel or tomorrow's The Last Jedi panel were the best bets for an announcement of a new movie but the 40th anniversary panel was much more focused on the past rather than the future. Outside of the OT actors that are in both, did anyone even mention the Disney movies? Given that and that they went out on the tribute to Carrie Fisher, it seems like it wasn't the place for an announcement.

Also, The Digital Bits is talking about an Episode VIII trailer tomorrow as if it were fact and I'd recommend that people not expect one. If it was going to happen, I'd have expected a leak about it by now.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I totally bet on that. There is absolutely no way they are not going to show a Last Jedi trailer. It's a sure thing. The movie is released this year and it's already too late for a teaser. If they waited this long, it's because of tomorrow. And besides there is no sense of having a Last Jedi panel with no trailer.

All the movie panels had new footage every year. If it was behind-the-scenes it was because they had already shown a teaser before.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I totally bet on that. There is absolutely no way they are not going to show a Last Jedi trailer. It's a sure thing. The movie is released this year and it's already too late for a teaser. If they waited this long, it's because of tomorrow. And besides there is no sense of having a Last Jedi panel with no trailer.

All the movie panels had new footage every year. If it was behind-the-scenes it was because they had already shown a teaser before.
I hope I'm wrong and unless it's on Guardians Of The Galaxy, it does seem like it's time for a trailer. And if it is coming tomorrow, hats off to LFL for keeping it secret because it seems like nothing can be a surprise any more.

Semi-related, I think there was a behind the scenes shot from The Last Jedi in the Carrie Fisher tribute video because there's a shot of her and Rian Johnson walking together on set.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
In January or so Lucasfilm was saying first quarter 2017 for a trailer, that is past now so the odds are very much in favor for a trailer.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Also, The Digital Bits is talking about an Episode VIII trailer tomorrow as if it were fact and I'd recommend that people not expect one. If it was going to happen, I'd have expected a leak about it by now.

I generally agree - I think Guardians in a few weeks is the likely spot it'll be debuted.

But regardless, the Digital Bits has this occasional weird habit of doubling down on info that turns out not to be correct; maybe they have a source they have trust in which sometimes causes them to maybe post something out of excitement where maybe patience would have been better. If they're the only one saying something and no one else is talking about it at all, I tend to take it with a grain of salt.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I scanned a few minutes of the coverage from today and it looks like a great time. Nice to see Harrison Ford and George Lucas pop up, plus video of Liam Neeson. Mark Hamill and Kathleen Kennedy appeared to be having fun. Kennedy was wearing a Star Wars t-shirt that can be bought anywhere. I have the same one, and have seen it on plenty of people.

Today seemed a celebration of the past 40 years. I would bet that tomorrow would be about the future.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Also they didn't show Ewan McGregor. Maybe he is there and they are hiding him for a big announcement! :D

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
So if there was going to be a non-special edition Blu of original trilogy they'd have announced it at the 40th panel, right? WTF is going on? Is it really not happening?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Why did you think it would?

Fox owns A New Hope in perpetuity. Fox has physical media distribution on the original six movies until 2019 or 2020.

If it does ever happen, it won't happen until complete rights for five of the six titles revert to Disney. Once that happens, they'll probably reach out to Fox for a deal on the original film. Why would Disney start negotiating now for all six titles when they get five of them free and clear in a couple year?

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
C9VGhZtWAAQ4EMo.jpg

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
If it's not an announcement about the remastered original trilogy-and I can 100% guarantee it won't be-then I'm pretty well uninterested. If we're not getting it for 40th I think we can give up on Disney ever doing it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The good news is that I'm now seeing rumors about The Last Jedi trailer being shown at today's panel (and going online at 12:30 after the panel). Of course, is that rumor coming from people who are assuming that it'll be shown there or is it coming from people in the know?

Like The Force Awakens trailers, this will be a true test of my will power to maintain my self-imposed 'no trailers' rule. :laugh:

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Saw the trailer. That was underwhelming. It looked like leftovers from The Force Awakens. Did not look like a new different movie. I'm unimpressed but of course it's only a teaser.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks