What's new

Official STAR WARS Saga Discussion Thread: Part 5 (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Huge SW fan since I was a 6 year old & first saw ANH in '77. I never got the Jar Jar hate in Episode 1. I actually felt the character's comedic nature was a good counter-point to the darkness of the story.

I disliked the Ewoks a lot more than Jar Jar. Cute little teddy bears didn't really have a place in the SW universe, and I felt that ROTJ was seriously marred by their inclusion. IIRC, the initial idea was to have Wookies be the ones that helped defeat the Empire in ROTJ (not Ewoks) I definitely feel that would have worked better for the film.
The older I've gotten, the more I've warmed to the Ewoks. I still find it funny that they planned to cook and eat Han Solo and I don't think it ended too well for the guys wearing all those Imperial helmets that were drums at the end of the movie.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I’ve always loved the Ewoks. Though I wasn’t quite born yet when the movie came out, so being a small child from my first viewing on may have had something to do with that.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The older I've gotten, the more I've warmed to the Ewoks. I still find it funny that they planned to cook and eat Han Solo and I don't think it ended too well for the guys wearing all those Imperial helmets that were drums at the end of the movie.
The Ewoks are cute, sure, but I never really liked them. The suits were perhaps the worst effect in all of SW. They got away with the kinda cannibalism because the image of carrying the prey in on poles had become something of a cartoon image. I said kinda because they were going to eat a different species. Still if you look hard at what they were going to do, they aren’t very nice and they have zippers in their backs.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
The Ewocks ARE killers!
let’s not forget that they wanted our heroes for a fine BBQ. ;)
And as I just read in Ken Nepzok’s book “Why We Love Star Wars” they’re portrayed as savage killers that sneak at you (if you’re playing a trooper) at night in the video game Battlefront II.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The Ewocks ARE killers!
let’s not forget that they wanted our heroes for a fine BBQ. ;)
And as I just read in Ken Nepzok’s book “Why We Love Star Wars” they’re portrayed as savage killers that sneak at you (if you’re playing a trooper) at night in the video game Battlefront II.

My nephew showed me that in Battlefront II. It was hilarious, and I will never look at Ewoks the same way again!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Lest we forget, Star Wars truly does have the worst fans...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Which is why I stopped calling myself a Star Wars fan years ago. I don’t want to be associated with people who feel they have more right to the story than the people who actually own the story and who actually tell it. I don’t want to be associated with misogyny or racism. I don’t want to be part of a group that thinks violence and death threats are appropriate responses to not liking a freaking movie. For all this talk of them being fans, it sure seems like they don’t actually like the thing they claim to be fans of. It seems like they like the idea of having a secret that belongs to them and them alone. This belief that it you like someone else’s story, that it’s now your own property to police, is toxic.

So I’m simply a guy who likes Star Wars movies. And I’m okay with that.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
“An agenda of masculine inferiority”? Really? Does this refer Rey being a Jedi? Oh give me a break.

However, has any other fictional story engendered as much discussion and disagreement, even here on HTF. I’d hazard a guess that the SW thread is the longest on the HTF.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
“An agenda of masculine inferiority”? Really? Does this refer Rey being a Jedi? Oh give me a break.

However, has any other fictional story engendered as much discussion and disagreement, even here on HTF. I’d hazard a guess that the SW thread is the longest on the HTF.
uNaLiEnAbLe RiGhT
As ridiculous as that stuff is, I'm more caught up on them saying that Han Solo's death had no psychological impact on his son moving forward (I imagine that Adam Driver would disagree) or that Luke died a sour old man when he gave his life to keep the rebellion against the First Order alive AND he even says as much in the movie or that Carrie Fisher will "shamefully" be forever remembered in a moment that they didn't like in The Last Jedi. They have every right to hate the movies if they want to but the points they make are all willfully ignorant of the actual movie or projecting their own hatred on it.

But the best laugh is that as much as they hate the new movies, they still know the name of Leia's ship in The Last Jedi (the Raddus). If someone is learning the names of the ships in movies that they hate, they should maybe think about watching something that they do like instead.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
But the best laugh is that as much as they hate the new movies, they still know the name of Leia's ship in The Last Jedi (the Raddus). If someone is learning the names of the ships in movies that they hate, they should maybe think about watching something that they do like instead.
I absolutely LOVE The Last Jedi and think it’s the shinning light of Disney’s Star Wars record...and I had NO idea what Leia’s ship was called.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I absolutely LOVE The Last Jedi and think it’s the shinning light of Disney’s Star Wars record...and I had NO idea why Leia’s ship was called.
Only a sick maniac (like me :D) would know something like that. The ship is named after Admiral Raddus who was leading the Rebel fleet when they steal the Death Star schematics in Rogue One.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I sometimes wonder how much of this is real and how much of this is just professional trolling. Wasn’t that a news story at the time of the Last Jedi release, that Russian troll farms were targeting Star Wars fandom and posing as disgruntled fans, with the goal of fanning of the flames of a culture war, to fracture areas where Americans generally agreed and to sow discord in the popular culture?

There are times when I believe people have good faith disagreements about how a movie turned out, and there are other times where it feels almost as if the movie criticism is secondary to pushing an agenda and where the criticisms don’t seem to be made in good faith.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I sometimes wonder how much of this is real and how much of this is just professional trolling. Wasn’t that a news story at the time of the Last Jedi release, that Russian troll farms were targeting Star Wars fandom and posing as disgruntled fans, with the goal of fanning of the flames of a culture war, to fracture areas where Americans generally agreed and to sow discord in the popular culture?

There are times when I believe people have good faith disagreements about how a movie turned out, and there are other times where it feels almost as if the movie criticism is secondary to pushing an agenda and where the criticisms don’t seem to be made in good faith.
I guess there’s no way of knowing, but the troll idea could be right-on. That manifesto is way out there.

I’m also reminded of the Una-Bomber’s manifesto where he spoke of “we” when there was only “him”. This could be just one guy, one guy who needs to get a life.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I guess there’s no way of knowing, but the troll idea could be right-on. That manifesto is way out there.

I’m also reminded of the Una-Bomber’s manifesto where he spoke of “we” when there was only “him”. This could be just one guy, one guy who needs to get a life.
I think it's more than one guy but I still think it's a very small drop in a very large bucket. They can institute the boycott that they threaten at the end (which, of course, they won't) and Disney won't notice anything when they look at sales of books or video games or comics or toys or high end props or shirts or streams on Disney + or...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks