What's new

**** Official review thread: HTF REVIEW: The Godfather (part of The Godfather Collection) (1 Viewer)

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I too have no idea what all the complaining about this transfer is about. I think too many people compare movies unjustly to newer movies like '5th Element.'
These are the best I've seen THESE films look. I think much of the complaints are with the slightly stylized look.
I don't care, 'Godfather' is just so wonderful, I'm just glad to have it. (And I don't mind the 3rd onw all that much either, it's just not the first two).

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I watched the first third of the movie last night and thought the transfer to be:
Not perfect, but the best I've ever seen the Godfather look on home video.
I checked it out on both my PT-47 and my PC, the transfer was a revelation. I've only owned the Godfather on WS VHS, and saw the LD once, and this is definitely heads and shoulders above both of those.
My opinion? With the fact that a full restoration of these movies is still in need (c'mon Paramount, give Harris and Katz the job!) this is an amazing transfer all things considered. I've never noticed faces at the wedding before yesterday. It's absolutely hilarious how some of the background people dance about during the sequences.
Definitely not a "bad" transfer, although not a perfect one. I think it might be best described as "the best they could do without a full, expensive and time consuming restoration of the film."

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
I got goose bumps last night when I popped in disc 1 and the title screen faded in :) The Godfather Trilogy are among my very favorite movies, and before they came out on DVD they held the crown for I-want-to-watch-this-but-it's-not-on-DVD movies. I watched Part I last night and some of the extras.
The transfer is good, at times very good. The complaint about black level is valid because the blacks were more brown than black in my opinion. Then again, that might've been the original intent, or that might've been the best that the video transfer crew could squeeze out of the decaying film. What isn't fair is folks comparing the transfer to movies that came out last year and are now on DVD. Bottom line: this movie looks better and cleaner than it ever has, so really there's not much room to complain.
The audio is of similar quality and in similar circumstances: good, at times very good, but also has problems like crackling when characters are shouting. But once again, the audio is better than it ever has been. The surround mix is well done and the surround effects are unobtrusive
The extras are awesome! It's a shame that some of the deleted scenes were, well, deleted from the movies, because a few of them serve to tie up loose ends or provide a deeper look into characters' personalities.
Conclusion: buy this set unless you hate The Godfather Trilogy. If you love it, it's a no-brainer purchase. I mean, come on--it's The Godfather. If you're a movie enthusiast who appreciates great directing, acting, cinematography, etc., you'll love this collection with its abundance of extra features and commentaries. If you're a regular Joe who doesn't care either way, you wouldn't be reading this.
Godfather Part 2 is waiting for me at the house. 5 o'clock can't get here soon enough :)
------------------
This screen has been formatted to fit your movie.

Ed L

Agent
This may be the wrong area to post but I wanted to know if anyone knows if this set or the separates (when they appear?) will by chance be available in DTS? I will probably wait if this happens.....

Steve-T

Grip
I am so happy just to be able to throw out my old video tapes, (sold laser disc player 3 years ago) the bonus is it looks great in relative terms. As stated above I believe the look of the film is intentional and I like it, this movie is about family, and it plays like an old family film, it adds a warmth to it.
I do have a problem, it might be hardware related but my disc froze up about 7 times. Also, when I scanned at the highest speed the player froze up. Please post any problems.
This happened on first disc, I have yet to watch to others.
My player is a Sony DVP- S550D.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Ed,
There's NO chance in the near future that these will be released in DTS and it's a doubtful proposition that they'll be released separately any time soon.
Steve,
I have a Sony 550 and haven't had any problems or freezes, although all I've done is scan through the movies and extras to make sure everything played okay. I'd return the box and exchange it if I were you.
I'm surprised no one's mentioned the very simple (if somewhat creepy) menu screens-- very cool!

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Ed, this is released by Paramount, which has I believe NEVER issued a DTS disk. So don't hold your breath.
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

bill lopez

Second Unit
I have seen the widescreen laserdisc verisons, the VHS versions and when they run on TNT cable version.And none show as much grain as do these dvds. It's as if they didn't clean up these movies. If anybody owns the widescreen laserdiscs you have a flawless copies. I remember my VHS copies I made from a video look better than this that I made back in the 1980's. I was disapointed in this set. And the extras are from HBO's special from 1990. Big deal!

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
And the extras are from HBO's special from 1990. Big deal!
All of them?!
eek.gif
To borrow a phrase from American Beauty, "Look Closer"
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Brandon_S

Second Unit
I don't know how many of you have gotten to watch Godfather Part II yet, but of those who have did anyone notice a sort of echo during the scene with Tom and Mike? It is about 30-40 minutes into the movie and they are sitting in the dark talking to one another. Since I never had the LDs I don't know if the echo was intended or may have been a slight mistake along the lines of what happened in a particular scene in the DTS Gladiator. Other than that this is a great set! I urge anyone to pick it up if they have a love for great films.
Brandon Smith
------------------
bdohtf.jpg

http://sweb.uky.edu/~btsmit2
[email protected]

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Brandon-yeah I noticed the same thing in GFII. The scene sounds kind of like a bad phone conversation. Any idea why that is-I never saw it theatrically, so I have no idea if it was the source material. Haven't seen it on VHS for a long time either, but I don't remember it being quite that bad.

GerardC

Agent
I noticed the same thing in that scene: Not only does it sound 'wrong', it's next to impossible to hear what they're saying.
Otherwise, I thought the first 2 discs were accurate representations of the movies, the print flaws I can live with as the warm colours and original cinematography are well preserved.
But I did think that Part III doesn't look good at all: lots of grain, softness and fluctuating brightness levels (the scene between Michael and Kay in the kitchen in Sicily looks terrible).

bill lopez

Second Unit
I bought FOXY BROWN dvd which the movie came out in 1973 and this dvd has NO GRAIN or WHITE FILM SPECKS. If these GODFATHER dvds had come out separate at $9.99 each I would say the quality is worth it. In GODFATHER it's grain until there in Sicily and then the movie looks good.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
quote: But I did think that Part III doesn't look good at all: lots of grain, softness and fluctuating brightness levels (the scene between Michael and Kay in the kitchen in Sicily looks terrible). [/quote] This has been a problem in every version of GFIII that I've ever seen -- which leads me to suspect that it's in the source. In the scene where everyone gathers at Don Tommasino's to discuss their strategy, the background pulses as if the sun were fading in and out. I returned my first LD of the film because I thought it was a defect in the disc, but it's been the same in every subsequent version of the film I've seen. I'm not sure what went wrong, but something obviously did and it affects much of the film.
M.
[Edited last by Michael Reuben on October 11, 2001 at 02:35 PM]

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I bought FOXY BROWN dvd which the movie came out in 1973 and this dvd has NO GRAIN or WHITE FILM SPECKS.
You seem to have trouble grasping the notion that age is only one of many factors that determines how well a film's elements hold up over time -- and it isn't necessarily the most important factor.
M.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I bought FOXY BROWN dvd which the movie came out in 1973 and this dvd has NO GRAIN or WHITE FILM SPECKS.
In addition, the GF DVDs also suffer from a complete lack of Pam Grier! Although I did get tired of her getting abused in so many ways in this film. By the time she gets around to seeking her revenge, the Godfather equivalent would be if Santino had gotten up after the Tollbooth scene and singlehandedly executed the heads of the five families. :)
BTW, X-Men came out in 2000 and looks perfect on DVD, but Dancer in the Dark is a blurry mess and has a MSRP $5 higher! Recall!
wink.gif

Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

CRyan

Screenwriter
Easter Egg****
Not sure if this has been reportedd on this forum yet, but there is a pretty funny easter egg on the Bonus disc.
Goto galleries and DVD Credits. Click Next till you get a scene from The Sopranos trying to watch the Godfather. If there was ever a good use for an Easter Egg, this is it.
Pretty funny.
C. Ryan
------------------
http://www.elitestoragedesigns.com/RyanOAR.bmp

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I'm not gonna hide my disappointment about this release. I've raised this point again and again, but if any films deserve restoration, don't these? At least the first two?
I bring this up, yet again, because I keep going back to that article/interview with Robert Harris & James Katz about the REAR WINDOW restoration that ends with the following paragraph:
quote: According to Katz, he and Harris are aching to do "The Godfather" next. Katz said it presents challenges similar to those on "Rear Window": "It's a dark movie, but with colorful sequences. And it needs to be saved." Having seen the horrible brown-yellow print at the movie's 25th-anniversary gala three years ago, I can testify to the necessity of salvaging this landmark film right now. Harris and Katz have got to convince Paramount to let them do it. Artistically, at least, it's an offer the studio can't refuse. http://www.salon.com/ent/col/srag/20...dow/index.html [/quote]
Very clearly, it's an offer Paramount & Copolla did refuse. But why? Isn't this something that they intend to do someday? Won't restoration/preservation ultimately be necessary?

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Al said
I'm not gonna hide my disappointment about this release. I've raised this point again and again, but if any films deserve restoration, don't these? At least the first two?
I thought they did do a restoration for the 25th anniversary release? So all Paramount did was a digital cleanup? Hmmm, if what that article says is true, then the Godfathers, regardless of how they look, do need restoration, if for nothing more than the need for preserving this artwork of American cinema.
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
"Stranger things have happened..." - Wes Deskins
"It's not Pikeville, Kentucky. It's Pikevool!!! And it's not Louisville, it's Loolvool!!! Get it right, damnit!!!"
My DVD Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks