What's new

Official: New Battlestar Galactica will be Weekly; TV Series (1 Viewer)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Richard Hatch fanboys may be drowning in a river of their own tears as we speak.

I mean, I saw BSG forums where people were practically praying to God for this series to not be picked up.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I imagine they'll spontaneously combust if Hatch takes Moore up on his interest in the original cast doing guest shots. Good times.

I hope Moore can get some of the DS9 folks involved, but I must admit I worry about him downplaying the science-fiction aspects. Sure, I understand his desire to have a strong dramatic story, but what's the point of setting your show on a spaceship if you're not going to do cool out-of-this-world things?

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Well, doubtless some BSG fanboys will try to flay me, but I'm glad to hear this will be a series. Also glad to hear that Moore may try to revisit some of the classic scripts, like "Pegasus". That would be cool. Or the ship of lights. :D

I love the original. This show is nothing like it. But I can't honestly say I hated it...it had it's moments. :)

Joey Gunz

Second Unit

They will start filming the new episodes next month in Canada. There's no word on when the series will air but my guess is that we'll see it sometime this summer.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I am not drowning in a river of tears but I didnt care for the miniseries enough to watch it each week. That plus its on the Sci Fi network. They wanted something that wasnt too Science Fictiony and they got it.

RickGr

Second Unit
BSG is not SciFi enough???? Set in outerspace with a cyborg enemy, spaceships that can go faster than light. Yep, sounds like a medical drama to me.

BTW, Farscape is comming back for a conclusion, just not on SciFI channel.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Si Fi stopped being about sience fiction years ago...when they starting showing movies like Bravehart, and Always (good movies, but not si fi). I HOPE BG will be good, but i KNOW Farscape was, and look how they treated it.

Joey Gunz

Second Unit

From my understanding, the reason why Scifi Channel cancelled Farscape was because they weren't seeing any profit from it (The scifi channel doesn't own the rights to the show). Sure it was a high rated series, but the fact is that there were too many people from behind the scenes getting a piece of the pie leaving the channel with almost nothing. What that means is, while the Scifi Channel was financing the show, they weren't reaping much monetary rewards. They don't own the syndication rights. They won't see much profit from video sales (because, again, they don't own the rights). I loved Farscape too, but its understandable why they cancelled it. I think (actually I hope) the Scifi Channel learned a lesson from it and not repeat the same mistakes.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I hope Ron Moore gets Robert hewitt Wolfe, Ashley Edward Miller, and Zack Stentz on the writing staff.

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

RickGr

Second Unit
They gave you four seasons of Farscape. Do you think that NBC, ABC, CBS or Fox would have given you more that 7 or 8 episodes tops?
SciFi channel has its faults but they had very little wiggle room on Farscape. They were loosing money pure and simple and they are a business not a charity.
I am happy that we got what we did with Farscape and we will get a conclusion albiet on another channel/outlet.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

Interesting that there is no mention of Apollo or Boomer. Or Tigh & Baltar for that matter. Wonder if they'll keep the same actors? (I won't cry if they re-cast Apollo...)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

Most of us understand the economic realities of television, and understand that good shows get canceled.

But Sci-Fi burned a lot of fan goodwill after telling the fans in no uncertain terms (via press release) that there would be a Season five, then reversing themselves a year later.

If the communication and planning had been better (and that is Sci-Fi's job), fan reaction would have been much more accepting.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm glad to hear that the BSG series will be made. To my surprise, I really liked the mini-series.

I never watched Farscape so I don't know what the wailing and gnashing of teeth is all about or how that connects to BSG.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It doesn't. People just don't seem to recognize that holding a grudge against a TV network (or any company that goes through ownership and leadership changes as fast as TV) is pointless.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks