What's new

*** Official MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE III Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Really great film. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Some excellent action scenes, suspense scenes, and while it was still recognisably a Cruise vehicle, it did feel like they had actually put in some effort to make it a Mission: Impossible movie, which was good. My favourite scene had to be the helicopter chase through the wind farm Something about that scene really just clicked for me.

And I really liked the score - although I did feel the music, right at the climax felt very Lost-y, almost distractingly so.

Simon Pegg really was playing Marshall, which was disappointing - J J really does love his goofy tech guys, doesn't he. But he made the character his own, which was good. And as a Spaced and Shaun fan, it was great to see him.

For some reason, I was really amused by the whole Rabbits Foot thing. I was like J J Abrams was giving us the MacGuffin in its purest form. In fact, when we got to Tom Cruise's "What is the Rabbits Foot" line, I laughed at that.

Brett Foote

Agent
I saw it last night. It seems like every 5 minutes explosions and gunshots were happening. But it was a pretty good movie, a worthy addition to M:I and M:I-2. I'd give it an 8/10.

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams

Well, hes at least right about that. Indy 4 isn't being written by him, which is always a plus.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
:laugh:

You may want to familiarise yourself with Discussion Thread rules before calling people names.

Spoilers are OK here.

--
H

Real Name
Dave

Ah, well, just curious why everyone was uptight about ROTS spoilers, and here it's all about how many different ways people can destroy the plot.

Sorry about the name. It was pretty tame though...

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I liked MI:2, and I really wanted to give MI:3 a chance based on MI:2 and on J.J. Abrams.

But while watching it, I found I couldn't get past how much the lead female character looked like Katie Holmes. And the other woman at the very beginning of the film had the blond-hair-with-black-eyebrows style that Nicole Kidman had (though granted that was the only similarity). So I did find that Cruise's personal life was ruining the film for me.

Beyond that, I found myself wishing that this was an Alias movie instead of a Tom Cruise movie. If it had been Sydney Bristow on screen instead, it would have been a more engaging film.

As an MI film, I'd already seen the "superiors stab the agency in the back" plot before (in the first MI film), and we'd all seen the "wife in jeopardy" plot in one of Harrison Ford's Jack Ryan films. They even recycled the "jumping out of a building" gag from MI:2! Recycling all this made the film feel rather like an expensive tv-movie (tv-movies tending to rip off film plots).

Had this been a big-scren Alias adventure, that sort of recycling may have been ok.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

but then you quoted the spoiled text :angry:

anyway.

finally got around to this one.
i just missed two points.

what was the reason for trying to kill themslevs due to having the explosive device in their head.

and wasnt the little thing on the postage stamp saying that fishborne was making the calls?
what happened to that, what did i miss.

plus i think people instill too much of an actors real life into their own mind when watching movies.

MM didnt look anything like katie holmes and i didnt see anyone else who resembles nicole kidman as someone mentioned in this topic.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Tony, regarding Fishburne making the calls....I know what you're talking about. My assessment is Crudup's character is obviously behind this so I assumed he was trying to frame Fishburne? Other than that I don't know :)

Funny you revived this thread a bit...I re-watched some of the HD-DVD version again last night with the interactive picture n picture commentary. Quite fascinating actually. These kinds of things would normally not interest me but the scenes I watched with this feature were quite cool. Try this if you can sometime.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

That misinformation was Musgrave's doing. He wanted to divert suspicion from him and put it on Fishborne. He knew that the agent was watching Davian, so he made a call to Davian from Fishborne's office.

When he was questioning Ethan he asked if the agent who sent him the microdot knew he was working with Davian. And then he asked if she bought his misdirection about Fishborne. You must have missed that conversation?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

No assumption necessary. He says exactly this to Hunt near the end. Just watch the scene when Musgrave is questioning Ethan after Davian killed his "wife".

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ok i got the fishborn being set up thing.

and i watched yhe first 20 minutes or so again with the in picture commenary
and caught the part when they say the killing shock device
shorts out the in head bomb.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
We're only just getting season 5 of Alias here in NZ, and last Friday they had the episode "There's Only One Sydney Bristow" - in which a character has a miniature bomb inserted in his brain that would scramble his brain.

I'm sure I've seen something like that before...

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Luisito34 said:
I didn't see a thread for the next film in this series so I'm posting a comment here if it's OK. I caught the trailer for M:I 4 last weekend and, while I love the films so far, I can't say I'm thrilled about this next installment. I hope the rap music playing over it isn't an indication of an "urbanization" of the series. And Ving Rhames was nowhere to be found - was he dropped from the film ?
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/312646/mission-impossible-ghost-protocol

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks