What's new

*** Official MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I saw this Saturday. I enjoyed it immensely, but it fell just short of greatness for me. Like others, I thought there were a few pacing issues. That said, I would recommend it to anyone even remotely interested in the subject, or in historical films in general.

I've never read any of O'Brian's novels, but I intend to change that situation very soon! ;)
The picture is an early favorite for Oscar's Best Achievement in Sound.
I would agree 100% - this was an outstanding sound design. It will pick up several other Oscar noms as well, but I think sound is its best chance to win.

Dennis Castro

Second Unit
I have to say that I was not "Wowed" by this film. I liked it and it deserves all of the acclaim that it is getting and will get. I felt as if I needed to have read the books to really be drawn into it.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
I was thoroughly enchanted by MAC. It's absolutely gorgeous, and I'm delighted that, despite Weir having jettisoned material from the books, the movie doesn't dumb down or stoop to the obvious. Just the first few opening shots and I was in love.

I've read 12 of the Aubrey/Maturin novels. (Yes, there are a lot of female fans - more than a few of us are familiar with prisoner exchanges and terms of surrender during the Napoleonic wars). M&C/TFSOTW is more like a riff on several of O'Brien's books than a faithful adaptation of Master & Commander and Far Side Of The World. But tons of details straight from the books add texture and authenticity to the movie. The film makes you feel like you are on board this British naval vessel with the protagonists - it truly makes you feel the sailors' world within a world.

I also *loved* the music. (But I don't think A&M would have played their instruments *quite* that well, nor with a slight late romantic vibrato, but I don't want to pick authentic performance nits with the soundtrack. All the music was well chosen.) The sound designers richly deserve the Oscars they'll probably win.

I liked the middle part of the film just as much as the spectacular battles that frame it. The character development is the heart of the movie, IMO essential for the emotional pay off at the end.

I thought Crowe was excellent as Jack - he captured very well the elation Aubrey feels in battle and his relishment of the chase - the captain is clearly one of those men who comes alive in danger, both movie and book. Yet Crowe also displays the character's vulnerability as well as his regard for his friends and the crew - this captain is a keen judge of men as well as a superb seaman and warrior, a natural leader. I was tickled to see Weir include Aubrey's slightly raucous dinners. (Aubrey's bouts of depression, were blessedly absent, although his doubts and second thoughts are shown clearly.)

Although I had a hard time reconciling myself to the gangly Bettany as Maturin, he was fine within the context of the movie. (For those who haven't read the books, Maturin is a small, wiry and untidy Irishman with a razor sharp mind. He is also a spy - that subplot is not touched upon in M&C.) I enjoyed the Aubrey/Maturin relationship in the film - they come across as very old friends, yet as nearly polar opposites. (IMO, not a lot of backstory was needed.) I love the way Weir's camera captures their inner emotions with looks that only the camera (and the audience) sees. Nice examination by Weir of these different personalities during war - Maturin advocates what should be the modern, scientific and humanist view, yet it's Aubrey's skills as a navigator and fighting commander that are most valued in their own time, as well as absolutely necessary to the survival of the ship.

The young actor who plays Blakeny is astounding - Weir is great with children, and this character becomes the soul of the film.

Mark, I'm surprised you and others found the Jonah episode "abrupt". There are many foreshadowings and dark murmurs amongst the crew building up to it: the French ship is captained by a "devil" and the Acheron is referred to as a "phantom" almost from the beginning of the movie. Besides, seamen are well known to be notoriously superstitious - there is plenty of literary and cinematic precedence (Moby Dick, anyone?).

As pointed out in a previous post, Blakeny tells us that Aubrey expects wind the next morning. That the calm lifts right after the unfortunate Hollom's memorial is deliberately ironic - a comment on fate and the vulnerability of the ship and all her company. A frightened, uneasy crew is an inefficient one, making a dangerous situation even worse. This sad affair may have been fueled by guilt, superstition and errant nonsense, but the air is cleared after the suicide nonetheless.

M&C was obviously a labor of love for Weir, one of my favorite filmmakers. He's made a $130 million art film, not an action movie. No film could possibly contain all the detail and complexity of the novels - Weir has focused on the themes that interested him and developed them into a thinking person's epic. I hope it does good business - I need more films like this.

It's a great time for fans of tall ships - there are two new Hornblowers coming this year on A&E.

Then there's the new book of the true story of The Bounty.

The TTT EE is in my DVD player and ROTK is less than a month away...I have a ticket for trilogy Tuesday - looks like a good fall for movies to me.

Paul W

Second Unit
The crap dots were blindingly obvious to me. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Especially during the fog scene, because there were a lot more of them. It seemed they were appearing every minute (as opposed to Kill Bill, where I only noticed them every five minutes or so).

F-ck that! I have a feeling that ROTK is the last movie I will see in the theaters. The MPAA and the studios can have an aerial seduction in a round pastry.
:angry:

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
This was definatly one of the Best Movies I have seen this year. I love "age of sail" movies though.

This one however was refreshing in that the naval war scenes actually showed the ships moving while firing unlike most that show the ships right next to each other not moving and in completely calm water.

I love the little details throughout the movie. Small snipets of history, ships life, crew to officer relations, and Naval Strategy and tactics.

The movie could have gone on for another hour or more, I just wish it had more of everything. More historical reference, More character development, I wish they had shown the crew dispatching of the unlucky officer, as I would see that as being slightly more realistic.

Maybe they'll start making more movies like this.

Oh and what are Crap Dots?

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Claire Panke wrote:

I've read 12 of the Aubrey/Maturin novels.
Ah; I'm nearly at the end of "The Letter of Marque" myself, and I agree 100% with everything you said. Thank you for writing the review I was too lazy to write myself!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
My wife loves those books, has all 20 of 'em and reads it for the third time now.

While we were on vacation in Key West last week, her eye was caught by an article in the Times about the upcoming movie. Since then, I have assured her that most reviews seem very positive.

The film isn't showing here yet (and we left the US on the day it came out - noticed the big announcement in the City Walk cinema at the Universal Studio Park in Orlando, but it still didn't run that day). She cannot wait until it does, and I will certainly buy the DVD, whenever available.

Glad to see our expectations reinforced here - although I only read "vertically", to avoid any spoilers.

And yes, Maturin is a very central character in the books, I would say Audrey and Maturin together are the protagonist(s) of the story.

Cees

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I do not think she will be disappointed. The movie is quite good. Hopefully, you and your wife will be spared the experience of the "crap dots." :)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I just came back from seeing half of Master and Commander. Why half? Because the anti-piracy dots were so bad, so numerous, that I finally couldn't take it anymore and left. I asked for my money back (and told them why, of course) but they couldn't do that, so they gave me a free pass.

Anyone who knows me knows how much of a theater movie buff I am. I can't IMAGINE not going to the theater to see movies, but this is just going too far. M&C was RUINED for me, and why should I go see it again when the dots will still be there, will still take me out of the film, and will still make me angry and frustrated, as I was tonight? I've pretty much decided I will wait for the DVD, which, I hope, won't have the dots. You have no idea how huge it is for me to say something like that.

When one print is messed up, fine, I can go see it elsewhere. When I know in advance that ALL PRINTS are messed up, I have no incentive to go see it ANYWHERE.

I can't imagine what Peter Weir must think! The dots on my print were numerous, every 30+ seconds, and placed at a point where you're supposed to be enthralled and emotionally engaged. And it wasn't just 3 or 4 times, it was 8-10 in JUST ONE SECTION of the film (when they were rounding the horn in the storm and had to cut loose the man overboard). I saw them earlier, but at that point they just kept showing up, over and over and over!

It's freaking insane!

PEOPLE, don't just complain on a message board, please. Complain here, yes, but also complain to the theater. It's not the theater's fault, but word has to get back to the studios that patrons aren't going to stand for this. Don't just complain, ask for your money back, or a free pass. Even if they won't give it to you, just the fact that you asked and told them why you're unhappy will make an impression.

Be polite, it's not their fault, but be firm.

We have to take a stand. The studios are counting on people "getting used to" the dots. Don't let that happen.

I grumbled but kept quiet at Mystic River, Kill Bill, Alien DC and Revolutions. I am not going to keep quiet anymore.

By complaining tonight I was also able to educate some of the theater staff, who hadn't heard of these dots and didn't know what I was talking about. One tried to convince me that it was the reel change marks I was talking about, then the manager came up and confirmed what I was saying. He was very apologetic and I think he was glad someone was complaining. I know my complaint will get passed on. Movie theaters hurt too when people don't go to films. It wasn't their idea.

M&C was a good movie too. I was thoroughly enjoying it. ARGH!

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Hi Gang!

Well, I saw this fine movie last night and was happy to have seen it. It was visually excellent and, as many have said, the sound is a home theater enthusiasts dream! I can expect the battle scenes to be the de facto standard for showing off sound systems when the DVD is released.

I knew nothing about this story going in and was really in the mood for a period piece. I really wanted to be absorbed into the picture and get to know the characters and feel like a part of the crew. However, the movie just did not pull me in like it could have. I left not knowing the vast majority of the characters names, their motivations, fears or wants. When major characters were hurt or killed I had great difficulty in being sympathetic to them because I did not know them. The real tragedy with that is that the movie did take its time...it was not rushed. But the time was not well spent. There were so many occasions where the audience could have grown to like/love a character or just plain learn their names. It really left me feeling as though I need to read the books to better appreciate the movie. That is not a bad thing, necessarily, but it should not be mandatory to read a book in order to watch a movie.

The other problem was sub-plots. It seemed that the story was setting up certain items and then just ignored them. The mentioning of a French spy, the fact that the French ship knew exactly where they were, the captains' silver, the hatred of the one officer...just so many things that were hinted at and never fully explored.

Ultimately, I did enjoy the movie but I was really left wanting. The ending was very flat...granted it left room for a sequel, but is that really necessary? Where was the climax of the film? I was still waiting for it when the credits rolled. Watching it was like eating a fine salad for supper when you really wanted a steak. It tastes good, but leaves you unsatisfied.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
I left not knowing the vast majority of the characters names, their motivations, fears or wants. When major characters were hurt or killed I had great difficulty in being sympathetic to them because I did not know them.
I had similar problems (especially with the character who fell overboard and was left behind) but subsequent viewings will definitely help in this regard.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I've never read the books, but someone who has read them mentioned that Maturin is actually a spy, as well as Aubrey's friend. The spy angle could be further explored in the inevitable sequel.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Indeed. In the books Maturin is a doctor, a "natural philosopher" and also aids British Naval Intelligence out of a hatred for Napoleon (he is not paid nor is he a military officer other than sometimes being entered on the books as Aubrey's Ship's Surgeon.)

The line about spies seemed to me to be a nod to the book Maturin than anything else. The Movie Maturin isn't really a very good representation of the Book Maturin (spy stuff aside... it would be difficult to weave that into the plot and besides that aspect wasn't always vital to the book plots.) But at least Movie Maturin doesn't so anything that Book Maturin wouldn't.

JayV

Supporting Actor
Beg to differ, but Maturin is an officer -- he has a surgeon's warrant -- you may remember Admiral Keith making out the warrant himself and how happy Killick is on those occasions when he can lay out the surgeon's uniform (as laid down by the Sick and Hurt Board).

This is also why he is referred to as a surgeon when he merits the title "doctor" and peevishly refers to it at his first dinner with the other officers after getting his warrant.

-j

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the movie was terrific, though not without its flaws, most of which have been mentioned here. Definitely the best movie of its type that I have seen to date.

For those of you who are interested, there is an Aubrey/Maturin internet reading group just starting up, beginning with Master and Commander and going right through all the rest of the books in the series. Here is the link:

The Aubrey/Maturin Reading Circle

hanson mat

Stunt Coordinator
This is in response to Jim Robbins post regarding the Horatio Hornblower series on the BBC, there are also some great Horatio Hornblower films on A&E, one of which is airing on the 2nd of December I believe. These have been great in the past, and I look forward to the one in December. I am assuming you are a Forester fan as well, so I thought I would tell you. I agree that the filming, cast, etc. was great with MAC, one problem I had was the lack of female characters and romance... though I am most likely alone on that one...

chris rick

Second Unit
One of the year's best films so far. I love the way this film is able to capture the intimate while remaining hugely epic, something that LOTR: TTT failed to do for me, but which I hope that ROTK will be able to do. Fellowship was the last film that was able to do this well, but this film does it exceptionally well. Oh my God as an aside, the sound in this film is incredible. One of the best mixes I've EVER heard in a theater.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
The A&E Hornblower series is/was produced in association with Meridian UK - I believe the first two mini-series aired on ITV and the current 2 A&E/Meridian movies were apparently broadcast on BBC this past spring. The BBC, however, didn't produce these current Hornblowers. (There's only the one TV miniseries produced by A&E, plus the old Gregory Peck film.)

The US will finally get to see the two new Hornblower episodes on December 2 & 3 on A&E - I agree, the two earlier series are very good, although they had much less of a budget than Weir enjoyed with M&C! Ioan Gruffudd is a very dashing Hornblower - costars Paul McGann and Robert Lindsay are excellent too.

If you like sea tales or good historical drama, I highly recommend you check this series out. (The previous ones are available on DVD.) Plans are already afoot for a fourth go-round. (YAY!)

Hansen, I suspect you are alone on the romance angle. I didn't miss the lack of female characters in M&C - not really within the purview of the story, doncha know!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks