*** Official MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Scott Weinberg, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I suspect that my early opinions would prove worthless to those of you who've read the source material or are very familiar with the "historical accuracy" (or lack thereof) of the piece.

What I CAN say (without (justifiably) pissing off my local publicists) is the following:

1. It's a gorgeous movie to look at. The ships are amazing and Weir knows how to lens em. Period.

2. The action sequences are suitably bombastic yet grounded in reality.

3. Crowe is oddly muted, though the movie does stop on a dime to give him a few moments of Movie Star Drah-Mah.

4. Act II sags like the world's most pregnant sperm whale. It's not exactly boring, but the subplots seem to commit mutiny on the main story.

It's one I'll be recommending (albeit not that vociferously), and I'm quite curious to see how fans of the books will react. I honestly have no idea if they'll be thrilled or disgusted, but I certainly hope they'll all enjoy it.

If I type any more, Fox (and Miramax AND Universal!) may track me down and make me walk the cannon or something nasty and nautical like that.

Was there a talking hermit crab in the original books? Called "Shelley the Chatter"? Cuz he has a BIG part in the movie, particularly when the Kraken shows up. [​IMG]

2. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

3. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Anyone else see the EPK fluff piece on HBO tonight? It was fairly interesting and gave reason to be hopeful for the movie. A lot of the clips I'd seen before but there was some footage I hadn't seen. The shots of the ships at sea, especially in heavy weather look as if they were right out of a Geoff Hunt painting, wonderful stuff! I'm less concerned about how well Crowe will be able to play Aubrey but still have reservations about wossname playing Maturin. We shall see soon enough I suppose.

Thinking about Scott's review is also encouraging. If people are expecting this film to be "Gladiator Afloat" and the movie is the least bit true to the book I would HOPE that someone with that pre-conception would find that parts of the movie drag a little [​IMG]

4. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

5. Nick Senger

Nick Senger Stunt Coordinator

According to this site here is what Roger Ebert had to say about it:

6. Bill J

Bill J Producer

As of now, Rotten Tomatoes has 12 positive reviews and only two negative for Master and Commander. Not bad.

7. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

Nick and Bill, thanks for the good news. I have really high hopes for this movie. I don't always agree with Ebert but his comments are encouraging.

8. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

Check this out:

http://www.npr.org/display_pages/fea...e_1490930.html

There are two audio interviews available, one is a recent interview (this week, IIRC) with Peter Weir and the other is a 1995 interview with Patrick O'Brian! I don't have to tell POB fans how rare this interview is.

-j

9. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

These reviews are very encouraging! Can't wait to see it on Friday! [​IMG]

10. Nick Senger

Nick Senger Stunt Coordinator

Jay, thanks for the link to the O'Brian interview. What a treat!

11. Nathan V

Nathan V Supporting Actor

"The film, which combines two O'Brian books, tells its stories with wonderful effinciency; its briskly sketched characters have the detailof full portraits. Blakeny, for instance, is given two opposite role models: the warrior Aubrey and the intellectual Maturin. The boy is beguiled by the doctor's love of the natural world and the fantastic creatures in it. Yet after a great battle, when Blakeney visits Maturin, who is absorbed again in his books, we can tell that the boy has been matured by combat; he sees that his destiny is to be not a man of science but a man of war. All this is revealed, not by dialogue but in a brief shot of Pirkis' pensive face.
    Crowe has many of these moments too- secrets of remorse, doubt and longing, never spoken, shared only with the camera. For all the movie's perfect storms and burly skirmishes, its art is in the creation of people the audience comes to know so well after two hours it can read their thoughts. So Master and Commander is to movies what Russel Crowe is to acting. With subtlety and power, it explores the complexities of men at war, even with themselves. It puts the pasion into action, and the thrill into thought.

-Richard Corliss
    -Excerpt courtesy of Time Magazine, November 10 issue, page 83: "Critical Opinion: Why Russell Ranks High"

I AM STOKED!!!

12. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    This is definitely rising up on my to-see list. Crowe seems born to play these historical roles. Ebert and Roeper said his performance was Oscar worthy during their conversation over the closing credits.

13. Bill J

Bill J Producer

You can listen to Ebert and Roeper talking about the film here. I am predicting a 3.5 star rating or maybe even four.

14. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

*Very* interesting article about M&C in the NYT.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/13/movies/13MAST.html
    I'm not wild (at all) about Goldsmith's involvement, but Weir I have tons of respect for as a director. That a senior studio executive was behind the project *creatively* is further very heartening.

Could such a thing actually happen in modern Hollywood? Could we actually get a movie that isn't sliced into stupid demographic changed bits from a major studio?

My interest in M&C has spiked quite a bit based on this news.

15. Paul Case

Paul Case Supporting Actor

All of the great reviews coming out are making me very, very happy. I can't wait to see this film!! [​IMG]

16. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

Well, I just got back from an advance screening in Philly (using tickets kindly donated by Odie).

I loved it! I'm a big Patrick O'Brian fan, and I think it's fair to say that the film doesn't do the books justice. But what film could? I didn't care for the casting or characterization of Maturin, but on the whole, the film stands very well on its own.

And to people complaining about the lack of cannon recoil -- no spoilers here, but you need to see that scene in context.

A big thumbs up!

-j

17. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Another good review: CNN Review

I'm going straight from work to see the movie tomorrow! [​IMG]

18. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

19. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I've posted my review in the thread linked above, and I hope those of you psyched for the movie come back happy and satisfied. I liked and admired the film, though it won't be on my Top Ten this year. [​IMG]

20. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter