What's new

DVD Review Official HTF Review: Gojira (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
74588.jpg">

MichaelEl

Stunt Coordinator
What bothers me far more than the print damage is the total lack of detail in darker objects - hair, Gojira, etc. Looks to me like they went way overboard in boosting the black level.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
I would say that this is a case where, once you're past the initial thrill of finally seeing the authentic version of the film, the disc gets more disappointing every time you watch it. As Michael mentions above, Godzilla is often a big black blob on the horizon when, if you compare to the American version, you're clearly supposed to be able to SEE him. Various print detritus is so extreme that there's a large hair stuck at the top of the frame for most of the last reel...which would be a TELECINE issue, wouldn't it? Also, the subtitles appear to be missing relevant bits of information alluded to on the commentary track.

As others have mentioned in the other thread...the package is great, but what's inside is not. I'd say definitely rent first.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Stories of poor q/c at Toho are rampant (including how vacuum cleaners actually seemed to raise dust in the editing rooms). I don't know if full restoration would have been economically feasible - hell, I'm happy paying $17 online for this release. I would also be interested in a more realistic $40 Criterion-style restoration, but I don't think Sony would go for it. Actually I'm surprised they distributed in in the first place, since Toho really hated what they did (owning Columbia-Tristar) to their beloved monster in that disaster with Matthew Broderick.

For what I paid, I'm reasonably happy, sub-par as it may be considered by many. I never saw either version until CBC recently played Gojira on evening televison this past summer. The 2-disc DVD was my first look at the American version, and I kept having flashbacks of Ed Wood's Glen Or Glenda in the narrative style.

BTW, Sam, both commentaries are excellent - informative and entertaining.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I noticed that too. Can't remember the last time I saw a flippin' hair in a home theater product, if ever (that includes VHS)! Reminds me of the old days of watching films on local stations. I've got the R4, Australian disc of this and I'll have to check and see if there's a hair in that, too (though the Classic Media disc looks the superior to it, otherwise).

I ended up ordering the R2, BFI disc of this just this morning. Got a good price on it and figured what the hay. The Sony disc has nice packaging and the extras are cool, but I agree the print/transfer is a disappointment. Mine might be seeing eBay soon after the BFI disc arrives...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
so what was remastered?

says remastered on the banner around the case.
was it just the US version remastered

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
I was very disappointed in this set...

The print certainly has not gone under ANY type of restoration....

The presentation is dark.... it is dirty.... it shows tears in the print...

Any company claiming to have "restored" and delievered this product should have a class action suit brought against them....

It is a shame that TOHO being the company they are would allow this horrible product to be sold.....

Dugger

Joseph Goodman

Stunt Coordinator
As neither Classic Media (behind the new DVD), nor Rialto (distributers of the 2004 theatrical reissue) ever made any sort of claim of "restoration", I don't think a class action suit would get very far...

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I must say, their packaging is first class. Their marketing first rate. But I would have prefered basic packaging for a known classic that needs no marketing and spent the extra money on cleaning up the prints! Where are their priorities?

I have the Simitar release from 1998 and for anyone who likes a better copy of the US version, try and seek a copy out. It looks better overall.

Eric

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
The "class action" comment was a joke....

But, in retrospect.... So is the quality of this release...

Very disappointing....

You would think that TOHO would get it together and restore the "Zilla" library. It certainly has huge sell potential.

Dugger

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks