What's new

*** Official "CHANGING LANES" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
OK, get this: Affleck is a young hotshot attorney, Sam L. is a decent middle-class father. While both are rushing to extraordinarily important meetings, the two are involved in a minor fender-bender. Affleck is rude and dismissive to Jackson and promptly bails on the accident scene. Jackson is infuriated but notices a brown folder that Affleck has left behind.
CUT TO:
Affleck in a courtroom being berated by a judge for misplacing this crucial paperwork. Since he was a big jerk to Jackson, Affleck can't get his file back...and of course his clients are evil mafia types.
SO THEN:
These two seemingly sane men go about ruining each other's lives. You simply won't believe how farcical and overwrought this trailer is, plus (as my lengthy description clearly illustrates) the entire film looks like it's given away in the trailer. And I didn't even mention the sudden manic appearance of William Hurt screaming about "contracts and covenants". :)
But what a hoot! I will DEFINITELY be looking forward to this flick! :laugh:
Take a look:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramo...ing_lanes.html

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
When I saw the trailer, I immediately figured the film is either...

1. as mediocre and overwraught as the trailer makes it look. -OR-

2. a good flick, but the trailer gives the wrong impressions.

I'm inclined to go with #1, and it looks a bit too "Falling Down"-esque for my tastes, but you know what they say...

book:cover::movie:trailer.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Having Samuel L. Jackson is the only thing that makes it interesting. The trailer was fairly routine and it certainly looks like it gives alot away and is using the faces of Affleck and Jackson to get people into the theater. That's fine and good with a story with depth and weight...but this looks paper-thin to start with. Not gonna waste my time.

Bruce

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I saw the trailer for this a few weeks back and almost laughed out loud it looked so silly. This is a premise that looks very similar to With Honors. I like Samuel L. Jackson, but Ben Affleck is terrible.

I think I'll be skipping this one as well.

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
I hate trailers that give the entire plot away.
If it's a crummy movie/premise/plot/cast, I'm not gonna waste my time or $$ to see how it turns out in the theater; if it's a good movie/plot/premise/cast, I don't WANT that much given away before I've seen it. (Heads I lose, tails they win - ah, "modern marketing" at its worst :frowning: )

David Ren

Stunt Coordinator
I saw Changing Lanes last summer at a special screening. I thought it was okay (** 1/2 stars) though some of the things that happen toward the end were a bit unbelievable.

David

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Changing Lanes". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
All HTF member film reviews of "Changing Lanes" should be posted to this thread.
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Roger Ebert's rating on this film makes it one of this year's best films. That certainly raises the curiosity factor.

~Edwin

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I think Ebert has overrated this a little bit (I'd only go three stars), but it's a worthy film that is markedly smarter than a lot of mainstream films and a lot smarter than the marketing campaign. A real surprise.

I made some brief comments in the 2002 Film List thread. Consider it a cousin of Sidney Lumet's films from the 1970s.

Mark Hobbs

Stunt Coordinator
The trailer didn't do this film justice. And it doesn't give the movie away.

I agree with Ebert on all accounts. They really make the most of this story. It is the best film of the year, but remember that there hasn't been much competition yet.

I gave it 8/10. I posted a longer review in the review thread.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
OK, this should be fun:
I was way wrong about this movie! That'll teach me for bashing a trailer! Changing Lanes is a damn good flick! My review should be up momentarily, but I recommend this one quite highly.
(Removes foot from mouth...)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I saw two of the best films of the year last night, Changing Lanes and Frailty. Unless this year turns out to be a '99 (which it well could), both these films will probably be in my top 10.
FORGET the horribleAWFULnasty trailer! This is the worst bit of mismarketing since Angel Eyes. The first time I saw the trailer, the film was downgraded from "never heard of it" to "cable. maybe." and my opinion kept going lower and lower each time I saw it. So, I get up this morning and go look at Ebert's site, gleefully looking forward to one of Ebert's funny bad movie reviews. Imagine my complete and utter shock when I see that he's given it FOUR STARS!!! I nearly passed out! I don't always agree with Ebert, but when he gives a movie 4 stars, I listen. I don't even read the review before seeing the film, unless it's a shocker, which Changing Lanes was. I already knew the basic plot, so I skim enough of the review to see that it was written by the guy who wrote The Player. That's it, I'm so there, no matter what the trailer is like.
The trailer DOES NOT do this film justice. I'd go so far as to say that the trailer murders the movie, since it will drive away the kind of intelligent, thoughtful people who would like this film. Those just looking for an action/adventure in the city/revenge-is-sweet flick will probably hate it.
Read Ebert's review, he really gets to the root of it.
http://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert...-lanes12f.html
One other thing about the trailer. You think you've seen the whole film after watching it. I certainly did. Nothing could be further from the truth. The bulk of what's important in this film isn't even HINTED at in the trailer.
FORGET that you hate Ben Affleck! Please do this. Please. He is very, very good in this very, very good film. He's believable as a man who is by turns decent, evil (he's a corporate lawyer, 'nuff said), polite, rude, soul- searching, shallow, self-righteous and cocky, full of guilt and self-doubt. In other words, he actually comes off as a
complex human being, something that is very rare in Hollywood films, because one-dimensional characters are much easier to write. Samual Jackson...well, ditto, but I expected him to be good. I was pleasantly surprised by Affleck. All the acting is good in this film.
This is a smart movie that makes you think and makes you feel for the characters. If Hollywood did this kind of thing more often, life would be grand.

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
Just got back from viewing this one...and once again.. I agree with Ebert. Worst marketing campaign ever...but I suppose they have to try and sell it some way...and at face value its not a thinking man's movie. However...it really is. Moral ambiguity abounds. I'm putting in my early vote for best supporting actress to Amanda Peet of all people...just for the diner scene alone. I loved that conversation of achievement and moral decisions she made to be with Affleck's character. When a film makes me investigate the credits of the writers... thats always a good sign. 8 out of 10 ....

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I echo everyone elses statements. This film is certainly one of 2002's great movies, and has more than a fair shot at being in the top 10 at the end of the year. The marketing campaign does this film no justice.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I don't know how this movie will do at the box office, but it will have a long life on DVD. This one will make a lot of Top 10 lists (unless, again, this year turns out to be another '99) and will be seen by people who don't hang around forums like this and/or who can't quite believe the great reviews just because the trailer is so horrible. People will be recommending it for years to come.

I can't see it getting any "major" Oscar nods, but I hope the screenplay is recognized.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Roger Ebert's rating on this film makes it one of this year's best films.
To date, that is true, but keep in mind that Ebert has omitted many four-star movies from his top ten lists.

I agree with the people have said that the trailer for Changing Lanes did not do the film justice. The trailer made it seem like the movie would be dumbed-down instead of the character study that it was.

I usually can't abide Ben Affleck, but he gave a very effective performance as the beleagured attorney. Many times during the film, I teetered from despising Affleck's character to feeling sympathetic towards him. Same thing goes for Jackson's character.

Samuel L. Jackson is one of my favorite actors and he's one of the only reasons I saw Changing Lanes. I was pleasantly surprised at how good the film is.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
RE: The films trailer...

I just read an article that the trailer was designed as a marketing hook. The filmmakers (and studio) were afraid that they might not get the audience they need had the real content of the movie revealed in the trailer.

~Edwin

Chris

Senior HTF Member
The trailers horribly presented this film. I went, figuring it would be a romp (somewhat ala the spirit of The Long Kiss Goodnight) a crazed, but entertaining number.

Boy was I suprised.. not on the entertainment factor, but on the quality of the flick. The trailers must be the worst marketing I have ever seen.. at the same time, they are also some of the best marketing I've ever seen..

My big complaint about so many movies is that if you watch the trailer, you know exactly what the movie is about.. if you watch the trailers for this, and you think that's the film, you are way, way off track. Almost nothing that gives much away is in the trailer (at least as comparison to other moments of the film) and the trailer doesn't give you any clues about it's conclusion.

So, in the sense that at least the trailers don't spoil the film, it works.

But I was more then impressed with how good this film was, versus my expectations. So far this year, probably the best film I've seen.

I will say, the speech that Banek's wife gives over lunch was a pretty on-point moment for a movie that could have went big the other way as far as stupid hijinks back and forth.. this movie stayed thoughtful and inventive. Which is a pretty neat task to take an old concept and make it new again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks