What's new

Obtaining a Tax ID ? (1 Viewer)

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
Let's say I wanted to buy computer parts from several online stores, put those parts together and sell that product.

To buy at "re-seller" prices it asks for a tax ID and a reseller certificate. Where's my starting point on obtaining these permits to re-sell?

If anyone could point me in the right direction (or the right webpage) to get started researching about the process, it would be a great help.

Thank you

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I see you are in Florida, so I can help out here since I've done it twice. Before you do anything, you should consult with an accounting professional to find out which business type is right for you. My dad is a CPA here in St. Petersburg that specializes in helping small businesses, so if you want, I can help you get in contact with him. He helped me get started.

If you are a sole proprietorship, you can use your SSN as the Tax ID. Otherwise, you need to formally start a business, which means applying for a Tax ID with the IRS.

You can apply for a Tax ID onnline at he IRS website or mail/fax an SS-4.

If you are a sole proprietorship and plan on using a fictitous name for your business, you will need to do a fictitious name registration. Otherwise, you will need to file the proper paperwork with the State of Florida for whatever business typr you are setting up. This can be done at http://www.sunbiz.org. There are fees involved.

Once this is done, you can register online with the Florida Department of Revenue to become a sales tax collection agent at http://www.myflorida.com/dor/ which will allow you to collect sales tax from customers and to receive a reseller certificate.

Finally, your county and/or city may require you to register your business with those governments.

It's not difficult, but some professional guidance can help.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
What is this, the FL only thread? I'm near Ft Myers.

You may want to check with your local chamber of commerce, they often have a professional there who can help you get started. I know there is one in Ft. Myers, and he's pretty dang sharp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks