What's new

Noel Redding (Hendrix Bassist) Dead at 57 (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Truly sad to hear this - I loved the Experience. I always smile though when I remember that line (I think it was White Men Can't Jump) where Woody Harrelson points out that 2/3 of the Jimi Hendrix Experience was white! :D

Rest in peace, Mr. Redding.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
That's a bummer. Little Miss Strange is a super cool funky song with great lyrics, one of my favorites.

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
Definitely one of the finest rock bassist to have ever played.
I hate to speak ill of the dead, Karl, but I disagree. Noel was uncomfortable playing bass. Hendrix told him what to play most of the time. I believe Hendrix himself played bass on a lot of recorded songs. Noel was just in the right place at the right time and I put him light years behind Mitch Mitchell for importance as sidemen. Just my opinion...

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Thanks for correcting me Rick, I was always amazed at the fantastic bass lines in those Hendrix songs. I had no idea that was Jimi's playing though.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Are you sure Rick? I read "Sessions" and I don't remember Jimi playing Bass on most recorded songs. On Castles Made Of Sand Jimi told Noel what to play and might of even of done it(or at least showed him) b/c Noel just couldn't get the bass line down.

I read that book over 5 years ago so I am not positive.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Sad, another piece of my past leaves. A terrific bassist. And I thought the first album by Fat Mattress was good.

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
Jeremiah, I said that Jimi played "a lot" of the bass lines; I certainly don't mean "most"; I probably should have said "some". But the real point is that Jimi definitely had a vision in his head of how the bass lines should be played - I just don't want to give Noel more credit than he is due.

ArmandV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Armand Vaquer
This is sad news indeed. I am playing my JHE box set right now. Noel originally was trying out for lead guitar for The Animals at the time but switched to bass to join the Experience Chas Chandler forming.

He will be fondly remembered!

:frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks