What's new

No More FREE REFILLS on Popcorn and Large Sodas at Regal Cinemas (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I guess when our local movie theaters--where I live--re-open after the virus crisis, there will be a number of new health safety procedures put in place. That's not surprising.

But...

HERE'S the link to one of Albany's TV news stations.

At the snack counter, some registers will be closed to maintain social distancing. There will also be no more refills on large drinks or popcorn.

Why do I suspect prices will not be adjust accordingly downward?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm not sure why they need to stop the refills? All they have to do is provide a new cup or bag rather than reusing the original (which my theater usually did anyway).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Honestly, since the refills were on the huge-ass buckets, I never went for them. A small drink is like 32 ounces as it is. Who needs that much kidney busting, film-interrupting-to-pee soda? I'm past 50, so I pee too much as it is. And a small popcorn is all I ever have (gotta watch the cals).
Then I guess it doesn't apply to you.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't get the refillable sizes very often, but if I did I would generally dump the dregs of whatever was left at the end of the show and get my fresh refills on my way out the door to take home.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I'm not sure why they need to stop the refills? All they have to do is provide a new cup or bag rather than reusing the original (which my theater usually did anyway).

It's obviously about the money. Reopening or not, business isn't going to be booming at most theaters for a while. The theaters (like a lot of businesses) have been hurting the last few months, and will continue to hurt for several more. Not getting free refills is understandable.

My wife and I never got refills anyway. We were stuffed enough. But even if we did, I'd be OK with a new "no refills" policy, even if the price didn't go down. The theaters need the help.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
True, but this gives me another reason not to go. It's not as huge as Covid-19. TBH, I rarely did refills anyhow as I'm usually too engrossed in the movie.:)

I hate missing anything. So even a regular pee is frustrating. Still, I made it through Avengers: Endgame with no trouble but Rambo: Last Blood, I had to make a quick run. Although, I think that had more to do with the movie than my bladder...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I doubt this is about saving money since the refills cost them almost nothing. I wouldn’t be surprised if this was about limiting the number of interactions each patron has with the cashiers and about restricting foot traffic in the lobbies by taking away incentives to get up from the seating area. There’s been talk in certain areas about theaters having timed entries for patrons (who may be asked to buy tickets in advance so they can be told exactly when to show up) and they may be trying to keep traffic moving one way.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't get the refillable sizes very often, but if I did I would generally dump the dregs of whatever was left at the end of the show and get my fresh refills on my way out the door to take home.

That's what I do.

And don't laugh at this if you've never tried it...but it's an easy thing to place the big-ass bucket of popcorn on the back seat and strap it in using the seat belt and shoulder strap and hardly spill a kernel on the ride home! :D

And once home, the popcorn immediately goes into plastic food storage bags where it's good for days! Great for movies-at-home.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
That's what I do.

And don't laugh at this if you've never tried it...but it's an easy thing to place the big-ass bucket of popcorn on the back seat and strap it in using the seat belt and shoulder strap and hardly spill a kernel on the ride home! :D

And once home, the popcorn immediately goes into plastic food storage bags where it's good for days! Great for movies-at-home.
That's exactly what I do although mine doesn't make it to a plastic food storage bag as it's for my wife who eats it soon after it gets home. She doesn't like seeing movies in the theater (me either but she even more so) but loves theater popcorn (and won't let me purchase a popper that could duplicate that flavor easily) so I have to get a refill whenever I go (once a year or so) and take it to her. If it weren't for her desire for a bucket I'd not get it at all due to the price. At the theater here it costs more for that large soda/popcorn combo than it costs for admission. That's outrageous!

We don't have a Regal, it's Malco, but I won't find out what they're doing as I won't go anyway. There are no titles I know of that'd get me in the theater in normal times, much less so now.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
When I go to the cinema, all I ever get is a medium sized soda- no food or popcorn.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Wonder if AMC will follow suit. I rarely went to Regal after A-List became a thing, plus Regal ticket prices were more expensive too. I guess my Regalator cup is a relic of the past (used to be able to get it filled for $1, saved so much money over a decade with that Regalator cup).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
AMC will follow suit, no refills on large drinks or tubs of popcorn at AMC's re-opening on July 15th.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks