What's new

!!!! NEWS FLASH !!!! Warner to release SOUTH PARK in SEASON SETS (2 Viewers)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I noticed last night, Starvin' Marvin was on disc 2, and it was on the 3rd disc according to the packaging. I was like "huh?"

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Well I just listened to the first disc of commentaries and I can sort of see why WB pulled them. Matt and Trey do curse during their comments. I noticed at least 2 shits
and 2fucks
- or variations thereof.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Anyone who's ever listened to David Fincher's commentaries knows swearing doesn't get your commentaries yanked ;)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
David Fincher is not animation. I guess WB considers South Park to be a children's cartoon show.

Mark Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
How completely stupid can WB be?!

Sorry but I had to say it. Taking off the commentary because of profanity? For a couple of "fucks"?!

They obviously have no idea how to market this. It sounds like some department ended up with South Park and had no idea what it had in its hands. Kudos to Comedy Central for making the commentaries available. But this atrocity better not continue for Season 2 and beyond. I am now convinced that WB has to be the worst studio when it comes to its television properties (especially the shows they don't produce). Between what they did to this set and The Pan&Scam Powerpuff Girls Movie, I think that WB is just so freakin' big that they have people making decisions on these products that have no clue as to what their audiences are.

"Looks like as part of this deal with Rhino we got some kind of cartoon. South Park? Hmmm...cute kids. Looks cheap. OK, let's put out some best-ofs. Get the ones with the highest numbers and slap 'em on a DVD."

A few months later:

"Sire? It looks like there's some sort of thing going on where they want full seasons of our South Park property."

"South Park? What's that?"

"The cartoon, sire. Remember a few months ago? The Rhino deal?"

"Full season sets? But that costs money!"

"They're pretty vocal, sire."

"Fine, fine, appease the rabble. Run it through Kids."

You know the rest of the story. Hopefully this fiasco will open a few eyes over at Warners and get this set redone or at the very least fixed for future seasons.

Comedy Central, get on them! This is your best show and Warner is wrecking it! Give somebody a call there! Fix this!

Yeah, I know. We did get a season set, finally, and we're still bitching. I'm still going to get it, only because I sold the Rhino set and I. Need. Those. Commentaries. But a lot of people aren't! You're losing sales, WB! Stu-pid! You so stu-pid!

Well, maybe this whole mess can be good fodder for a future episode. At least for a good joke.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
David Fincher is not animation. I guess WB considers South Park to be a children's cartoon show.
Yah, but wasn't there a sticker on the package that said something about "adult content"? I would look, but I'm upstairs, and really tired...and I don't want to walk downstairs ;)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't even know why this was an issue. Isn't every studio now putting cards up before the movie that say "the views expressed in any commentary or documentary contained herein are the opinions of the individuals themselves and do not reflect the opinion of this studio" or something to that effect? What's the point of that if you're still going to edit everything?
Man, I really wanted season sets of SP, but now I'm reconsidering even buying them. :frowning:

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Sorry but I had to say it. Taking off the commentary because of profanity? For a couple of "fucks"?!
Know whats really funny? Matt and Trey say "fuck" at LEAST 3 times in the intro clip to "An Elephant Makes Love To a Pig". So they can allow it in the intros - which CANT BE SKIPPED (meaning everyone watches them, including any younger kids that have the set) - but they can't allow the same word to appear in commentaries, which people dont have to (and often dont) listen to??

:sigh: Stupid Warner.

JQ

Tom Foley

Stunt Coordinator
Well, considering I STILL have not received the commentary CD set in the mail (sent for it right away), I don't know first hand what exactly Trey and Matt said that pissed WB off so much. Well, according to this article , the reason that the commentaries were removed from the DVD set and offered separately on CD was....the movie Contact ? From the article, Matt says:
"The things they didn't like were, we went off and commented on the movie 'Contact' ... I just think it's one of the worst movies ever made. We just ripped on it, like you would with anyone else, and we ripped on the Olsen twins -- it wasn't even good stuff. It was just regular stuff."
Warner Bros., which released "Contact," was afraid of offending the movie's star, Jodie Foster, even going so far as to call her production company for approval of Parker's and Stone's comments. It was then that they asked to have the commentary removed. They're offering it for free on audio CDs for people who buy the DVD set.
Oh crap, you GOT to be kidding me. How many times has SP flamed stars even bigger than Jodie Foster? They seemed to have no problem putting that stuff out on national TV. How bad could have it REALLY been? You know, Matt and Trey are Republicans; Ronald Reagan could have told them years ago, "Jodie Foster is a troublemaker. Don't mess with her."

James Reader

Screenwriter
Remember how I said we should wait for further details before we judged Warner on removing the commentaries?

Well now I have that information and I judge Warners.

LAME!

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Has anyone received their Cd's in the mail from the Proof of Purchase yet?

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Exceedingly lame. They could have just removed the commentary for that episode (the rhinoplasty one, IIRC) and then it could be downloadable or something. This really boils me. I love South Park, I sold off all my crappy snappers in anticipation of this box set, and now I'm very hesitant to purchase it. Someone at Warner Brothers is completely out of touch. I know it's silly to get worked up over DVDs, but I'm still upset over this whole debacle. At least Comedy Central has the wisdom to make the commentaries available in SOME form.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I've been browing the southparkstudios.com BBS to see if anyone had got their commentaries and nobody has posted saying they got theirs from the Comedy Central mailaway. The only people that have recieved them were those who ordered the DVD set directly from ComedyCentral.com. Someone who went the mailaway route called the the customer service number, which is 1(800)441-5449 according to the PDF certificate file, and was told that none of them have been sent out yet, which is ridiculous because the same certificate says to allow 6 weeks for delivery. Since the DVD was released on November 12, people should have been getting their CD sets on Christmas Eve at the latest.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Well, I sent away for my commentaries right before I went home for vacation, which is almost a month ago now...when I get back to school I'll post on whether or not they've arrived by then.

Beau

Supporting Actor
I ordered mine through CC.com and got them either the day off or after the set was released. I don't see why they had to be taken off. All it is is normal commentary stuff. If they can make fun of celebrities ON the show, why can't they talk about them in the commentary? And they weren't being mean or anything, just normal commentary. And they are very funny commentarys.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
I saw on my online banking statement that they finally cashed the 3.50 check. I don't remember exactly when I sent off for these, but lets say early Dec.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks