What's new

Newbie Seeks Advice: Best Power Amp under $500, Mono or Otherwise? (1 Viewer)

James Zos

Supporting Actor
I've got a Denon 3802 driving Klipsch speakers and want to add separate amps.

The nOrh Le Amp seems to have gotten some praise, as has the Marantz MA500 monoblock.

I'm not sure if I should go with monoblocks, or something like the Denon POA 5200, a two channel amp. Advantage of monoblocks is that I don't have much money to spend right now, but can always add more later...

What do you think?

Any amp recommendations under $500?

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
Hi James,

I don't know which Klipsch speakers your using? I'm currently using a Denon 3300 as a preamp with a Harman Kardon PA2400 (170 X 2) for the two fronts (RF-5's) and a Harman Kardon PA5800 (80 X 5) for the center (RC-7) and rears (RF-3's). Once I receive the Outlaw 950 the PA5800 will also power my sides (RS-3's). Both amps seem to match well in my system and each of them can be found used for less than $500.00. Hope this helps.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Where do you find the Nohr amps?

Sounds like they are something special, I'm curious...do you know more about them??

Jeremy

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
As far as I know you can only get them online direct from nOrh. Which is part of the reason why they are such a fantastic deal. I just wonder if the increase in cost of manufaturing them in North America would be more or less than the cost of shipping them here from Thialand.
Anyways here's a link to the Le Amp section on nOrh's website:
http://www.norh.com/products/leamp/index.html'
They ask $295 for one and $495 for a pair. Anytime you add a third one to a pair they give you that one for $250. So
1 = 295
2 = 495
3 = 745
4 = 990
5 = 1240
Then all you have to do is get them from NC to your door. I was told shipping within the US for a pair is usually around $30.
Compare that to $1200 for a Parasound HCA1205 and the Le Amps (which from all accounts are a major step up from that amp) do look very pretty.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Thanks Dustin,

I'm going to check them out, Im having a helluva time shopping for amps....seems like the more I look, the more great choices there are...oh well, no hurry.

Jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks