What's new

Newbie....And havin' difficulty setting up denon 3803 (1 Viewer)

Chris Sherer

Auditioning
Hello ...
Hopin 4 a bit of assistance with the basic set-up of my new denon 3803 av receiver.
I cant even seem to get the wiring correct...to view the "On-screen-display" so that i can "begin" my system set-up.
So far...the only thing I've been able to accomplish...is the connection of a couple speakers...and a dvd player..that i can intermittently get to play through the receiver...lol
And experienced audiophiles..I'd be glad to "listen"
If someone could help me with the basics.
Thx...in Advance
Chris

So far.....I am able to connect two Bose 301 series 4 to the amp.
I attempted to hook-up my Bose acoustimass 15 setup to the amp.....and....Got extremely lost at that point. I believe...that because the Bose acoustimass sub is a powered sub....that it somehow...shut everything down...I'm unsure....since I havent been able to correctly wire for the On screen display and set up...yet.
Any help for an illiterate???
Thx
Chris...once again

John S

Senior HTF Member
I would not try to hook Bose anything up to it....
You should go buy a real HT speaker package, like the JBL NSP1 or something....

On screen display should be easy, at least from svideo out of the receiver to an svideo in on any TV.

Everybody I know that has tried to hook Bose speakers up to anything but the Bose module(s) have not had any sort of acceptable results at all.

Sean>D

Auditioning
Connect one of the video inputs on your TV to Monitor Out o the 3803. Should be able to use S-Video or Component Video cables. Make sure your TV is set to display the input this cable is connected to. Hit the AMP button on the remote (near top left corner), then hit Setup on the remote.

As far as the Bose speakers, they'll work. They're just not the quality you've probably been led to believe. I replaced my Bose speakers with a set of Rockets and the difference is night and day. The Bose sub is passive. It's got 2 line level inputs and 2 line level outputs. Connect the 2 line level inputs to Front Left and Front Right on the Denon 3803. You then run wire from the L/R outputs on the sub to your actual Front Left and Front Right speakers.

Hope this helps!
Sean

MarkStash

Stunt Coordinator
Fellow Newbie:

I've been at this for a month or two now and have received incredible support from the folks here at the forum. I installed my new Denon 3803 around xmas time. Let me know specifics and I'll try to help you out. Sean has already given you good advice on getting your monitor hooked-up. If you haven't accomplished that yet (ie. getting your on-screen display from the receiver), let me know. I can give you an IM address or email if you want to correspond in real time. Hope you're further down the road than you were earlier today.

Mark

p.s. - If you could screw it up and do it wrong three times before getting it right, I've done it.

Chris Sherer

Auditioning
Man...
Thanks 4 all the feedback guys :)
I have reached the On-Screen Display...
....WAs still hoping to use my bose acoustimass powered subwoofer and satellites...But from the sounds of it...I'll be in the market for a sub or two...and a few satellite type speakers.
Thanks again guys.....I'll let ya know as I progress..
Both on the stereo.....and "the understanding"...of the same

Chris

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Chris, assuming the Bose speakers are in good shape you should be able to get a lot of your investment back on Ebay.

Brent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks