What's new

New Sony ES receivers on Crutchfield (w/DPL-II !) (1 Viewer)

MikeSM

Auditioning
Check out:
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...STRD5ES&o=&a=0
It looks like a very nice unit, and contrary to some of the initial reports, it has Dolby Pro Logic II, though the 3ES model doesn't. Plus an RS232 port for upgrades to boot.
Does anyone know when this unit will ship? It seems close as Cutchfield isn't selling the older models anymore.
Thanks,
Foos

HankM

Second Unit
Crutchfield also states that the 5ES has DTS-ES & DTS-Neo does anyone know if this is true?
------------------

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
It seems like if a new product (not a software upgraded one) doesn't have the "DTS-ES Extended Surround" silk screen on the front, then it does not do real DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 surround or official DTS-ES Matrix 6.1 decoding.
It may decode DD EX and DTS ES movies using a proprietary 6.1 matrix decoding scheme.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Do these receivers have bass management like the previous models? Adjustable 40-120hz xover in 10 hz increments?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This is a nice feature also:
7.1-channel & 5.1-channel inputs
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John,
The two sets of multi-channel inputs on the new ES receivers are what grabbed my attention. That would be pretty handy for both multi-channel SACD and DVD-Audio. I'll stick with my Sony STR-V444ES and use Y-adapters when and if I get a multi-channel SACD player, however. :)
Chris,
I certainly hope Sony would be smart enough to carry the flexible crossover settings over to the new ES models. That is one thing that has set Sony apart from the pack, in my opinion.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
Just got off the phone with Jim of Oade Bros.
He said the 3ES should be available in a couple of weeks with the 5ES following shortly there after. Prices, 3ES $650 - 5ES around $950.... At those prices, WOW.... they may just be the receivers/prepros to beat!!!!!! But no DPLII in the 3ES seems strange, I would think with any new receiver coming out, DPLII would be mandatory?!
By the way I ordered the SCD-C222ES from Oade Bros. $575 +20 shipping!!!!!!
Regards,
Geo
[Edited last by Geo on August 28, 2001 at 11:28 AM]

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
What are the other SONY ES models?
Which ones compare to the Marantz SR 6200/7200, Yamaha RX-V1000/3000 and the Denon 2802/3802 or the Onkyo TX-DS-797 or Integra ?.? ?
I ask about a number of different models from each company, cause often there is not a direct comparison and something with the same features from one manufacturer is higher OR lower in price.
Anybody? Which Sony ES models?
[Edited last by Chris PC on August 28, 2001 at 04:37 PM]

wally

Second Unit
$650 for the 3ES?
Wow that is a great price. DPL II, explain please. Dolby Pro Logic II? How is that diffrent than DPL?
Did Oade mention that Sony would be filling what looks to be a gap in the model numbers with 3ES and 5ES announced. Is there going to be an 4ES in the 750$ to $900 range. I see what you guys mean by Crutchfields prices they have the 3 listed at $999!
How do these models stack up against a Denon box in the same price range?
I feel like I've got buyers remorse and I haven't spent a cent.

Michael De Costa

Stunt Coordinator
Wally, you couldn't have said it better. I was about to purchase a 3802 this week and now I am wondering if I should reconsider. Would anyone choose the new 5 over a 3802? When will they be available for release? Enquiring minds want to know?
------------------
At my singnal, unleash HELL.......

Westly T

Second Unit
"Would anyone choose the new 5 over a 3802? "
That's pretty hard for anyone to say at this point since there aren't any STR-DA5ES's to test out. Back when the STR-DA777ES came out I choose it over the Denon model that was available then and haven't regretted it at all. On the other hand, a friend tried the 555 and ended up getting rid of the thing, very unhappy with it. Only time will tell if the STR-DA5ES is any good.
------------------
- Wes
My Home Theater
The MMG were replaced with 1.6QR's and added Marantz MA-700's. SVS is here. Ok, allot more then that has changed, I'll update my page some day...

AustinCC

Auditioning
I seriously doubt it has DTS ES and Pro Logic II ability since no DTS ES and Pro Logic II logo shown on the front panel.

Westly T

Second Unit
Keep in mind Crutchfield has posted prototype photos on their web site to get something up there before they've got the correct pictures. In the past I've noticed several items on the Crutchfield page that lacked logos like DTS for example, but when I got the real product (not from Crutchfield's) the logos were all there as were the features.
------------------
- Wes
My Home Theater
The MMG were replaced with 1.6QR's and added Marantz MA-700's. SVS is here. Ok, allot more then that has changed, I'll update my page some day...

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I'd really like to find out more about the new Sony receivers. Out of all the new DPL II receivers, it looks like they will have the best bass management of any of them, beating out Marantz, Onkyo, Integra and Denon with 40-120 hz in 10 hz steps.
I'd like to find out more about SONY receivers. I was not big on SONY receivers, but depending on what you get for the money, I would be interested in giving them a listen. It might be the best way to obtain a new DPL II receiver with actual bass management.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks