What's new

New Panasonic F87 dvd player: dvd-audio, HDCD and........Pro-Logic II?? (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
As one of the HTF's dvd-audio fan boys :) I feel it is my duty to make y'all aware of this new player coming out soon. See it here at Crutchfield.

FYI: In case anyone is wondering, according to a Highfidelityreview.com article concerning this year's CES show, Panasonic has no intention of building sacd capability into any of their players.

Anyhoo.............

Maybe it's not a giant sonic revelation, but the HDCD decoder is still nice to have (check the fine print on your CDs and/or their labels: for example, several 311 CDs are encoded with this system).

But I don't understand the addition of the DPLII feature--is this something to be implemented (i.e. encoded) onto CDs or older stereo-only soundtrack dvd movies in the future?

AND HALLELUJAH......they replaced the previous microscopic fluorescent display with a normal-sized one & equipped it with a number pad for individual track selection for CD playback, one of my pet peeves concerning dvd players (I hate using the remote for every single stinkin' function :frowning: ).

Due on March 31.

LJ

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
LJ:

DPL-II can be applied to stereo audio discs to output derived surround information. In addition, it can be applied to DD2.0 movie soundtracks to extract Dolby Surround information.

So it is a somewhat useful feature, although I think I'd rather let the receiver do the job myself.

Cheers,

HDCD in Panny? That's really new. I even think it's almost a dead technology because the recent aparition of DVD-A and SACD. But it's a really a good point to add that kind of support.... does any other new Panny model has it too?

HienD

Stunt Coordinator
HDCD is really popular in asia so the inclusion of it is no surprise. Too bad they couldn't release a sacd/dvd-a player.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I just learned this player has no optical digital output--bad news for all those people that own "old" receivers with no coaxial digital inputs (like my own Technics SA-DA8 from 2001).

Any ideas on why Panasonic did this?

:frowning: :confused:

LJ

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Nope, no idea whatsoever other than saving a few $$$.

They do make optical to coaxial convertors, I've seen them for about $50, I think Audio Authority is one company that makes them.

Cheers,

Adil M

Supporting Actor
I concur it's saving a few bucks, and making a few by pushing the fact that you can always use the HDMI connection in conjunction w/ their new Panasonic Digital Receivers for all formats.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks