What's new

I just ordered a Denon DVD-3800 DVD-Audio player! (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Update

My '3800 with the September 2002 build date has performed flawlessly, though I have used it 99.9% of the time for DVD-Audio in the five days I've had it. Still, the possibility of a bad laser assmebly, which would likely manifest itself with DVD-Video discs, not DVD-Audio discs, kept nagging at me. So, I called Crutchfield tech. support again on Saturday, explained the situation with build dates and serial numbers, and urged them to check remaining inventory for newer units (i.e., by the serial number on the outside of the box). Obviously, if they had a newer unit, I would ask to do an exchange. Well, as their stocking department was closed over the weekend, I would have to wait until today for the verdict. I hate waiting! :crazy:

Well, I got the call from the tech. support rep. at Crutchfield this morning. They located a unit with a 212 serial number (December 2002 build date) among the last four units they had in their warehouse! I staked my claim to it like it was my first-born. (I don't have one of those yet, but you get the idea.) The player shipped today, and I should have it tomorrow. Once it arrives and I am convinced that there are no manufacturing defects, the September 2002 unit goes back.

:)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
My new '3800 arrived today, and it was made in December 2002! The sticker on the outside of the box has a serial number starting with 212, and as expected, this number matches the serial number on the back of the unit. Furthermore, the sticker on the back panel indicates that the player was manufactured in December 2002. The September 2002 unit goes back tomorrow. :)

I checked the firmware on my December 2002 unit following Tan's procedure and compared it to what I observed for the September 2002 player.

For the September 2002 player:

ESS 720
DRV 6193-2
ESS 6134-2
PANEL 6093-2

And for the December 2002 player:

ESS A30N
DRV 6193-2
ESS 6134-4
PANEL 6093-2

Does this mean anything to anyone? It was said here that my September 2002 player already had the chroma bug upgrade based on the firmware. What do the differences noted for the December 2002 player indicate?

I have fired up the Steely Dan Two Against Nature DVD-Audio disc on the new unit, and so far, so good! :) :) :)

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Keith,

For use without a TV, some of the latest WB titles use the AUDIO button to toggle between the mixes.

Examples include Linda Ronstadt's What's New, Donald Fagen's The Nightfly and at least one of the REM titles.

Regards,

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, thanks. I don't have those Warner discs, but I will try it with some of the ones I do have.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
For use without a TV, some of the latest WB titles use the AUDIO button to toggle between the mixes.

Examples include Linda Ronstadt's What's New, Donald Fagen's The Nightfly .
Yea, I discovered this as well with The Nightfly. I believe there's another disc I have that changes mixes with the audio button, but I can't remember which one. However, I'm not sure that I have any other recent releases.

Doug

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Doug, I don't have any recent Warner releases. When I was using the Technics DVD-A10, I could toggle between stereo and multi-channel DVD-Audio tracks without the TV by pressing the "Group" button on the remote. My main pet peeve with the '3800 is that it has no Group button. However, I am still very pleased with the '3800.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Keith,

Yes, the Group button on my remote works for most of my titles, but changing mixes for The Nightfly and I believe one other title in my DVD-A collection only work with the audio button (therefore both mixes associated with Group 1). Is it possible that there is a remote code for the Group function for the 3800 that is not available on the remote? You may want to search on remotecentral, if you have a universal / learning remote that can accept discrete codes (or similar).

Doug

Sach

Stunt Coordinator
I think the ESS A30N is a new mpeg decoder without the chroma bug and not the firmware updated one (ESS 720) but again I am not sure.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Doug,

I don't know about that. I'll fiddle around with it. For now, I am using the TV to play discs. It's not all that bad. There are times when I would rather simply throw the disc in and hit play, but I can deal with the on-screen menus.

Sach,

Thanks. I was wondering about that. An upgraded MPEG decoder would be nice.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
If anyone is still thinking of going through Crutchfield to get a '3800, you might want to know that crutchfield.com is currently listing the item as "Low Stock". I'm not surprised, because when I got my replacement unit last week, they only had four in stock. They also told me when I ordered the replacement unit that the '3800 was discontinued and they would not be getting it in again.

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
Keith,

FWIW...Jeff Talmadge w/ Denon USA has posted on AVS that the 3800 will be discontinued. Not yet though. It will be replaced w/ the 3900 "this fall". Don't know any details other than that.

Am currently using a 9/02 3800. Bought in Jan 02. Knew about chroma and skip problen when I bought it. Dealer said has one year warranty and just return it w/ the year if either happens. No chroma or slipping on mine. (cross my fingers.) Maybe the problem will show after the 3900 is released and I'll get it replaced w/ that under warranty.:)

Michael

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Michael, thanks for the information. I am interested to see what Denon comes up with for the '3900. Glad to hear that your '3800 has performed flawlessly. It's a great player!

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Keith,

Jeff Talmadge also stated that the 3900 would be a "more upscale market" player when it arrives, meaning, it will not be priced at $1195 like the 3800 was, but considerably more. I figured this would happen as the 2900/3900 would be separated only by $200, and that Denon probably wanted to space things out a little more. I don't know if the 3900 will have SACD capability or not, but I'm guessing that it will probably be a flagship DVD-A ONLY player in the vein of the 9000, but only for less money. Denon is still coming with their Universal flagship player which'll replace the 9000, and will probably cost a little more. Also, do you have a new appreciation for DVD-A in comparison to SACD now that you have an excellent player for playback? I know you've always said the differences may be attributable to the SACD players being better components than the DVD-A players, but figure the 3800 may've closed that gap a little for you.

Do let me know!

Reg

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Reggie, thanks for the information. It will be very interesting to see what Denon does with its forthcoming higher-end models.

As for DVD-Audio versus SACD, it's tough to say. I am still using different components and listening to different recordings. I have upgraded DVD-Audio performance in moving to the '3800, but I still feel that SACD sounds more natural (smoother). I hear edginess on certain DVD-Audio discs (e.g., The Doors L.A. Woman and Hootie & The Blowfish Cracked Rear View) that I generally don't hear on SACDs. Then again, some DVD-Audio discs sound simply outstanding, such as Steely Dan Two Against Nature, Fleetwood Mac Rumours, Queen A Night at the Opera, and Eagles Hotel California (especially considering the age of the last three).

To further judge DVD-Audio, I should try some of the AIX discs. However, I don't know if any of them have discrete hi-rez stereo tracks. I've also heard that Donald Fagen's Nightfly sounds outstanding. I'd like to pick up that disc.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Keith:

AFAIK all AIX discs have stereo tracks. And they are all "regular" PCM so people with dvd-video players can access them too. AIX Records

Also: have you played around any with the 3800's bass management system? It is supposed to have full digital b.m. and distance compensation capability.

Thanks.

LJ

ReggieW

Screenwriter
CORRECTION:

Jeff Talmadge just revealed over at AVS that all Denon DVD players starting with the 2900 and above will ALL be DVD-A/SACD players! He said the 3900 will be a very outstanding audio component all around (I'm sure this one will have HDCD/AL24 processing/ and other things absent on the 2900). The Universal replacement for the Denon 9000 should be ready in time for Cedia in September/October. It appears that nearly all manufacturers, with the exception of Sony/Philips of course, are abandonng the SACD or DVD-A single player approach and going Universal. I have no problem with this as long as they make every effort to maximize performance. I know this is asking much, but so far, the only Universal player that many feel has got it right on NEARLY all fronts is the Yamaha 2300. I hope the Denon 2900 is even better, alas, on paper it appears to be.

-Reg

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lance,

Thanks for the info. on AIX. As for bass management, no, I have not really played around with it. I have never been a fan of extra processing, but I should play around with it.

Reggie,

Thanks for the update. That makes sense. I couldn't see Denon selling a universal player for $1000 and the DVD-Audio-only players for more money.

No buyer's remorse here, but I would be curious to see what Denon churns out with the '3900 and '9000 replacement. Hopefully Denon will get it right.

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
Keith,

Side question for you...
Your website upgrade list says you want to add the upsampler for your Ah! Njoe Tjoeb cd player. Your system list and photos don't show that cd player. Do you not have it anymore or have yet to get one?
Just curious. I bought one last week. Decided to replace my old(!) 5 disc generic changer. I really don't listen to cd/music that much. I just sort of wanted the Ah!. I do not have the upsampler in mine, but will probably add it w/in a month or so.

Michael

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Michael,

Keith just sold his Ah! via the Hardware for Sale forum here (unless his buyer was via a different method). I also have the Ah! and just received the upsampler board. After I let it break in a bit, I will do some critical comparisons with my Sony 'C555ES. If I'm motivated enough (and find the time), I'll post a review here.

BTW, which tubes did you get; do you use the stock tubes or did you upgrade? I happen to use the Amperex 7308s. The Siemens 7308s seem to be popular, though.

Doug

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
Doug,

I got the Ah! last week and it's still in carton in my garage. (Along w/ 3 monoblocks, a new rack and a bunch of new power cords/interconnects.) Have not had time time to tear down system and put new rack/equipment. Hopefully this weekend.:)

My Ah! has 3 sets of extra tubes and 2 extra op amps. To be honest I can't even remember which ones. Will hook everything up this weekend and make my first attempt at tube rolling. Really am curious to hear the different sound from different tubes.

Cheers,
Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks