What's new
World Wide Stereo

New Panasonic DMP-BD10a Announcement - $599 - 5 free BDs (1 Viewer)

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams
That ready-made BD library that comes with the Panny is pretty cool and makes it easy to start enjoying BD from the get-go. I can tell you that having owned the Panny since October, it is a flawlessly performing unit. I also own the Sony BDP-S1 and it doesn't hold a candle to the Panny in respect to usability and functionality. The Panny has me completely spoiled with its quick and reliable operation.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The link talks about "theoretical support for nearly 4400 billion colors". Does that mean HDMI 1.3?

Shaun

Second Unit
I was at my local Best Buy looking for Ghost Rider on DVD during my lunch hour. I had a few minutes and decided to look around and maybe place a pre-order for the new Panasonic DMP-BD10A and low and behold there was one on display on the shelf sitting with the other Blu-Ray/HD-DVD players. Looking down they had one (only) in the box with the sticker showing the 5 free Blu-Ray movies. I couldn't resist and went ahead and purchased it. I already have an HD-DVD player (HD-A1), so it's using my one and only 5.1 analog input for TrueHD, and my HDTV only has component inputs, so I got it hooked up using my last component in and a spare optical cable for the digital audio.

First impressions - This is my first Blu-Ray player and it definitelly impresses. The player is very lite and hookup was a breeze. The included 5 discs are bundled together in a cardboard sleeve. For some reason, the box shows both Pirates movies with alternate cover art. Though after opening, I discovered that the cases appear as they do on the store shelves. After a little setup in the menu, I had my first movie in the player, X-Men: The Last Stand (purchased along with Ghost Rider on Blu-Ray). Again, couldn't resist. Wow, this player loads fast. The HD-A1 is a snail as far as load-up time. Navigation takes a little getting used to. The supplied remote is a little on the cheap side, kinda clunky, but gets the job done. The picture quality is definitelly top notch. Easily as good as the HD-A1. I can only imagine how much better HDMI is. Picture quality was sharp and clear. This is right out of the box with no modifications to my display. The only other disc I was able to try out was Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl. Equally impressive. Audio, while only done through digital optical, is just as good, if not better than standard DVD. One thing I did notice was that when I selected 5.1 uncompressed on the Pirates disc, my reciever did not downmix it to DTS 1.5 Mbps core audio. It showed it as 2-channel for some reason. I'm not that familiar with how this is supposed to work on Blu-Ray players, but the only option I was able to select on both discs was the standard 5.1 tracks, which I am guessing is the same tracks available on the standard DVDs. I have the audio set to bitstream in the setup menu, but maybe someone can offer a suggestion. Didn't have a lot of time to really get into this machine as far as the other discs, but I have to say I am proud to finally be a format-neutral member. A quality Blu-Ray player with most of the new audio formats, with 5 movies included. An excellent value and an offer that should not be missed if you are looking to purchase a standalone Blu-Ray player right now and can't wait until the holidays, when maybe cheaper players will be out.

Bottom line for me and a lot of people, I'm sure, is that I want to be able to watch my favorite movies that are available in high definition in the best quality available to me. Right now the only way to do that is by investing in both formats. Now all I have to do is order myself a component switcher to use for 5.1 analog audio switching so I can take advantage of the high-def audio formats on both players instead of just one. But that will have to wait until I can pay off the Panny first.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
Great news Shaun. Question - Does the Panny support DVD-A media? I'm eying the Lord of the Rings The Fellowship of the Ring Complete Recordings package which includes the entire film score on a DVD-Audio. It helps that it's in my amazon.com gold box today. Plus today is my birthday. If it features DVD-A support, I may just have to get myself a little something. I'm currently saving up for the Panny, but in the meantime prepping for its impending addition to my HT - just bought a component video switcher for multiple 5.1 analog toys, so now I just need two more sets each of 5.1 analog cables and component video cables. Then I'm golden or blu as the case may be.

Shaun

Second Unit
Yes, it does support DVD-Audio, but not SACD. Check out Best Buy, you may get lucky. Which component switcher are you looking at? I need to get one too.

Shaun

Second Unit
The one I was looking at was the one that Zektor makes, which is $599. The RCA that you mention is a little on the cheap side and makes me wonder about the quality. When the equipment is cheaper than the cables, it makes me wonder. Any other suggestions for a good quality, though inexpensive $150-$200 multi-channel (5.1 or 7.1) audio switches?

Shaun

Second Unit
Thanks for the suggestion Ben. That one looks good to me. Now I just need to save up for it.

raymond caputo

Stunt Coordinator
shaun i just called 4 of my local best buys and they don't have any in stock or show any coming in stock...where are you located??

Shaun

Second Unit
I am in Omaha, NE. I went back there today and they have not restocked. All that is left is the display model. So either I got the last one, or the only one. Either way, I feel special.

I would suggest going down there and looking for yourself.

raymond caputo

Stunt Coordinator
ok thanks shaun...i will wait a week and check back..weird because no one on the internet has it in stock either...

Shaun

Second Unit
A little bit of an update. After watching a couple of more movies, POTC: DMC and Ghost Rider on Blu-Ray, I noticed that the bass is somewhat muted when running the audio through digital optical cable. It's there, just not very powerful, requiring you to turn it up to full reference volume to get somewhat of a punch. I checked my setting and everything looks ok. Just to be safe, I tried playing one of my HD-DVDs and the bass was fine, so it can't be the subwoofer. Anyone else notice this with their Panasonic players? I went ahead and ordered the Zektor HDS4.1 switcher so that I can try out the lossless audio tracks using the analog output. Should recieve it next week. I'll report back after doing more testing.

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams
Shaun,

Let us know when you get to use the Zektor... I think you are going to be VERY happy!

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Ben, I know I am a little late coming to this thread, but it looks like I am going to have to replace my Samsung a little sooner than I planned (an accident with a glass of water and my five year old grand daughter.)

What is the general concensus on the new Panny.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Bummer-

though the Panny seems like a great player all things considered... except (if I understand correctly) it still doesn't do DTS-HD MA. Does anyone know if there's a player announced/on the horizon that will?

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I was really hoping to wait until the third gen players hit late this year, but my darling Grand daughter has forced the issue. As far as DTS-HD MA support, I have not seen any players that currently support it which is a shame.

So now my Sammy gets it's resting place next to my many defunct Video Game systems and my Pioneer Elite LD/DVD player. May it rest in peace:) .

Actually, the Sammy has been acting up the last few weeks, so all in all, it might all be for the best. I just hate spending the $600.00 right now, but I also cannot be without my BD player.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wolffan91
Recent bookmarks