What's new
World Wide Stereo

New HD DVD Owner and so far I love it! (1 Viewer)

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
So I just picked up my HD DVD player, I think Im the first to own one here in the area of Okinawa Japan. No one has seen them here or ever heard of what Im asking for when I went to look for one. Mine came from San Diego, thanks to my girl.

Anyway I was looking through the manual and was wondering if any of you guys are using the black level enhancement function? Are there any other things I need to do during setup outside of what is in the manual?

Wow I cant wait to get this into my rack, my upgraded HT is finally done. Heres what I came up with, its been one fun job getting this all setup.

Panny PT60DL54 Display
Sony 7100 ES AVR
Outlaw M2200 x 2
Toshiba HD A1
Sony Hi Fi VCR
Monster 3500 MKii Power Conditioner
Sony ES SA CDp
Xbox 360
Polk Audio RTi12 biamped
POlk Audio CSi5
Polk Audio FXi3
Polk Audio RTi4
SVS PB12 PLus 2
Better Cables/Monster Interconnects and Speaker Wire

Just wanted to thank you guys for welcoming me to the site. Allot of knowledge here thats for sure. HD DVD all the way..............its going to be a good nite, I can feel it.

728x90

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sherard,
Welcome to the club! Yes, I would use the black level enhancement function. Also, you need to check which firmware you have currently installed on your player. You need to go to setup, click on general then click on maintenance followed by clicking on update. The latest firmware is 1.4, but I suspect your player doesn't have it and will most likely be 1.1. You can get a disc from Toshiba or download the latest firmware.

Crawdaddy

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
Last night my A1 HD DVDp came in, so like a kid on christmas I couldnt wait to install it. Installation was simple, HDMI from Display to 7100es, HDMI from 7100es to A1. Fairly simple setup. I go to turn everything on and begin setup. I go into the setup of the 7100es first and assign the HDMI input to the DVD, next I setup the A1 player, fairly simple and a very nice interface, not to mention you can change the skins, awesome. After setup I pop in a HD title (U-571), from start I notice Im getting a crisp clean pic but no sound. This was just operator error, I forgot to go to the HDMI selector on the receivers input selector, did that and the HDMI led lights green, and the pretty blue multichannel led lights and I have crisp audio as well. After I finally get the setup done right, I used my old xbox wireless bridge and popped it in the back of the A1, checked for updates, my download was done in about 15 minutes, Im running a 100meg fiber line for internet here.

My thoughts were wow, the hype is all true, the pic does live up to the hype. I did not notice that the player was somewhat slow as others have, guess I was used to my 400 disc Sony taking forever and a day as well since it would load the first movie and play it before you could get the door to open. Granted I bought this thing sight unseen, just read reviews posted here and other sites.

Im running the HD player at 1080i and the output to my display is the same (pt60dl54 panny). I must say that I will be keeping this thing, no bugs for the most part, flawless playback last night with no skipping, freezes, etc. For the price paid I have to say that its awesome gear, even when playing back SD DVD, I put in Gladiator and could notice a difference in the sound and pic quality right off the top.

So for those of you wanting to get onboard with HD, it does work very well with the 7100es receiver and the sound/pic are both awesome.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ka-Ching!

I love reading these testimonials. I cannot stress how much I
am enjoying HD-DVD. Any day now, when my new display arrives,
I'll get to see what it looks like with HDMI. Also looking forward to
seeing how well SD discs look upconverted.

So happy to see another happy HD-DVD owner!

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Fighting.....the....urge....to.....wait....till the war is over. These testimonials make it very, very difficult. Congrads on your purchase.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter

These testimonials are creating a dilemma for me. I too am fighting the urge to open and use my unit for fear having a Betamax on my hands after the dust clears.

Steve Blair

Second Unit
Ron, you will be in "video heaven" very soon :) I'm watching on a panny 50" plasma and it's breathtaking. Make sure to post your reaction when the new tv arrives.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Look, I can't predict the future (though I bet you thought I could)....

However....

Looking at the strong surge in HD-DVD sales, I am pretty
damn confident that this format will not become an obsolete
format.

In fact, right now just based on a bad launch ane the
pricing, I'm more concerned for the success of Blu-Ray.

I think, in the end, both formats will coincide with each other.

Go buy the Toshiba! Enjoy it!

Oliver D

Grip

Don't think of this as a choice in a new format. Think of it as a replacement for your current DVD player that just happens to play HD-DVDs as well. Even if Blu-Ray is the winning format, this will be your DVD player in the future.

(Well, that's how I suckered myself into it).

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
I had to sucker myself into it as well. I read all the good reviews here and said to myself, at least I will have one heck of a player that can upconvert. And if blu ray does win the format war , it will be sometime down the road from now and lastly there's no way I will spend 1000 clams on a Blu Ray player at the moment. So for 424 bucks I will be happy with a well built/solid DVD player that just happens to play HD DVD.

Play a mind trick on yourself and surely you wont regret it. I watched Phantom of the Opera last night with my lil girl and we both sat there like WOW this is so cool. I was more like WOW at the PQ/SQ, she just loves music,song and dance. The colors in that movie are so vibrant, its almost as if you can touch it. Im in HT heaven and its no longer a dream

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Another morning I wake up, read these reviews, and get a smile.

Very happy to read these positive reviews. Welcome to the HD-DVD
club, folks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMan56
Recent bookmarks