What's new

New Drill Press for Christmas (1 Viewer)

Mark Brewer

Stunt Coordinator
WOW!!!;) :D
I just recieved am e-mail from my sister with a link to what she bought me for X-mas. A new drill press!!!!!!!!! Should be here in two days.
Well let me see....
New speakers For music only system...
New TV stand...
Another SonoSub..
What else can I build.....
Mark B

Jordan Tracey

Stunt Coordinator
What brand name man? My Dad bought a Ridgid one. The thing is almost as tall as me and I am 6'4". He also bought a lathe, oscillationg bench sander, planer, and a router table. Everything except the router table is Ridgid, he also has a Craftsman table saw. So when i get around to making my subs, I'll be set.

Rob Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Are you guys using a drill press for doing mdf holes? I tried a 4" hole saw in mine and it was horrible.

I'm only using a benchtop model but it has enough power. I used a decent hole saw too. But it gummed up ever 1/4" rendering it useless until I knocked the teeth clean.

-Rob

James Mudler

Stunt Coordinator
I use a similar cutter as this for holes in MDF.
Link Removed
Get some sanding drums to. They work pretty well. Another tip use your drill press for threaded inserts will never be crooked again :).

Rob Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
How long would it take to make a 4" hole with that type of hole cutter?

Basically I'm wondering if I should change from the router or not.

Thanks,

Rob

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Rob,

Are you cutting out port holes? If so, I really prefer using my router with the Jasper circle jig. The only time I use a hole saw is when I'm cutting out a 2" hole (too small for the Jasper). For a 4" hole the router and jig would be very quick.

Brian

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
James

Those flywheel cutters are VERY VERY dangerous. Especially for thick materials. Anything loosens/breaks and pow, you're a gonner......

I strongly urge you to throw it away and use standard bi-metal holesaws or a Jasper jig.

Regards

Thomas

SalMaglie

Stunt Coordinator
If you're going to use a sanding frum on your drill press, I recommend that you get this setup from Lee Valley:
Link Removed
Page explains it all. Lateral pressure applied to the drum without support is not good for a drill press.

Mark Brewer

Stunt Coordinator
Yey I don't know how I survived either without a drill press. My brother-in-law drilled my holes for the flexi-rack and I used a hand drill for the sonosub. Not recommended!!!

It is a small table top press. I'll have to check on the name brand.

But now my wife has started a list of things to build. Oh the price we pay.

Jordan Tracey

Stunt Coordinator
Haha! My Mom does that to my Dad...She is trying to get him to build an entertainment center for the living room where I am putting the HT and I think I have turned my Dad against it, hopefully.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
I am now in the market for a drill press - a long-awaited addition to my "shop". I'm considering the new Shop Fox 17" from Grizzly. Good pointer about the sanding drum support parts.

SalMaglie

Stunt Coordinator
buffalo2.jpg

This is an old Buffalo Forge 15" drill press I picked up used for a decent price. I like the 4" quill travel, but the table has to be raised and lowered manually which can be a PITA.

James Mudler

Stunt Coordinator
ThomasW,

Agree 100%

As with any tool I am very cautious. Probably should have clarified a little better. I personally use 3" and down on the lowest RPM on my drill press. I am in FL for the holidays so I do not remember which RPM I use. I also made a circular guard around the top to provide a safty zone from the spining arm. Kinda hard to see when it is cutting and to easy to have your hand smacked. I never use my drill press without clamping the material. Again I am anal, and want to keep all my fingers. Thanks for pointing that out.

Mark Brewer

Stunt Coordinator
Update!!!

SInce I started this thread we have made two more additions to our family.

Dec 23rd our 3rd child Brendan Paul Brewer 8lb 9oz was born.

And I picked up a Ryobi 10" miter saw.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks