What's new

New Anthem pre/pro & Paridigm speakers announced! (1 Viewer)

wayne p

Stunt Coordinator
If I have this link correct, it will bring you to a brief announcement with photos of a new pre/pro,the Anthem Director $6k to $7k, new 5 channel amp $5k(325 watts per channel)& Paradigm Signature 200 speakers $7.5k/pr.
Link Removed
Okay, so it is not a direct link but it will lead you to the info. The pre/pro looks similar to the AVM 20. The speakers look seriously cool.

Mark Dubeau

Stunt Coordinator
The rear-end of the pre/pro in the picture is identical to the AVM-20.
That would be disappointing. At that price I would have hoped for another set of component ins and another set of 6-ch ins.

Other than the badging, the front looks pretty much the same too.

I think I'd have to re-wire my house to run that amp.. What a beast!!

The Paradigms look sweet.. Hope they sound as good as they look.

Steve*MH

Stunt Coordinator
Finally, Anthem/SF and Paradigm get involved in super high-end components! The Signature 200 and Channel 5 amplifier look awesome. Also, disappointed in the first look at the Anthem Director--was looking for a different look than the AVM-20 and possibly for a LCD monitor, but will be interested to see the specs on it. Am sure there are some things underneath the hood that justify the price. Anyone at the show get more details about these products? Would love any info/pics above that provided at soundstagelive.com? Any comments from Anthem/Paradigm reps about this line? Hope some attendees will post their impressions and info on these products on the site soon.

james e m

Second Unit
Wow those speakers look nice! Does anybody know if the Signatures replacing the Studios?
Thanks!
James

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Looks like the Anthem Director has a red LCD (not sure if that's worth the $3k increase :)).
I'm guessing the "dual Motorola processing engines" will allow it to power two separate 7.1 home theaters running from different sources.
Other than that I'm kind of strapped for ideas what it might do that the AVM-20 won't. There appears to be no firewire port.
We need more links!
The Signature 200's look great.

Paul Gere

Second Unit
OK, I'm an idiot...
Why can't I find pics?
Would some compassioinate soul please post a more direct link?

Thanks,
-Paul

wayne p

Stunt Coordinator
Chas_T,

The "bottom thingy" does in fact look like some kind of a port with a tuned plug in it. This is just a guess, of course. I am looking forward to more details just for interest sake. At more then 2 or 3 times the price of the 100s v2 I doubt I would get more then twice the performance.

The same would hold true for the AVM 20 vs the Director. I am looking forward to seeing how they improved it to warrant twice the price.

Given that both Anthem and Paradigm are known for their high value vs cost I suspect some serious engineering has gone into these products. At these prices however I do not anticipate the upgrade bug will bite me as I am very pleased with my current set up.

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
why are so many people dissapointed that the look is similar to the AVM, I think the AVM is an attractive piece!!

btw, I would never call a 5 channel HT amp "super high end", That designation goes more to pieces like monoblocks.

Matt Meyer

Stunt Coordinator
No the Signatures will not replace the studios according to the rep at cedia he said they will be a upper model and to expect 8-9 months before they are released. The studios will be updated to v.3 but he wouldn't say more than that.
Wayne: Have you used the Paradigm dealer there in Thunder Bay? I might have to make a trip there one of these days.:)
Matt

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
The price on the 5 channel amp is $6K, not $5K. This is straight from the horses' mouth. ;)
They're shooting for availability for the Director and the new amps in Q1, 2003.

wayne p

Stunt Coordinator
Matt, the Paradigm, Anthem, Bryston (among a large number of other lines) dealer in Thunder Bay is called The Power Centre. I always deal with Randy. He is more of a mid-fi guy, as this is where the most sales volume is I suspect, but he always gives me a good price. If you do your home work, and no what you want, these guys will negotiate. Also, they move a lot of product and carry a lot of lines so not all models are always in stock. I would suggest you call them ahead of time if you have a specific product in mind.

Power Centre also brings in factory reps to demo new product. I met the Anthem rep at such a promotion there when seriously considering the AVM 2 and he suggested I wait for the AVM 20. I am glad I took his advice. I anticipate they will have a similar promotion when the new Paradigm & Anthem products are in production.

I often make the drive to Duluth & sometimes the Twin Cities. The scenery around the shore of Lake Superior is worth the trip in itself.

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Wow! Seems that the rumor that I heard a couple of months ago was sorta true but it looks like they are introducing a new line instead of replacing the studio line. To all of us who are wondering if this combo will be worth the money, well let the company's currant and past products speak for themselves. I am confident that these product will perform to their price point and beyond:emoji_thumbsup:
I for one am glad to the see these higher end products and am exited to hear reviews about them :D
Btw the paradigm speaker sure has a lot of characteristics of the dynadio confidence line;)
Bob

Steve*MH

Stunt Coordinator
Bill,

"The price on the 5 channel amp is $6K, not $5K. This is straight from the horses' mouth.

They're shooting for availability for the Director and the new amps in Q1, 2003"

Do you know anything else about the Channel 5 amplifier? I know the previous version to be released under the SF Line was fully differential balanced from input to output and had 5 transformers (one per channel) and 20+ output devices per channel--is this amplifier the same design? Any idea of the size in pounds and dimensions of the amplifier--looks huge in the pics.
Any special features for the Director that differ from the AVM-20?
Thanks for any info.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
"Any special features for the Director that differ from the AVM-20?"

I talked with my AVM-20 salesman today, who has had a chance to see and hear the current prototypes. It did not sound like many more features were available at this time, except for DTS 96/24 that was mentioned at CEDIA. He seemed to believe that the outputs of the Director would be fully differential, which by itself will add quite a bit to the cost.

He added two more comments. One, a great deal of the components inside has been upgraded even further, top of the line electronic parts (no skimping!). Two, in a side-by-side comparison with the AVM-20 (using the same amp), the Director was distinctly superior in sound quality (in my salesman's opinion). He felt that the Director will give Anthem serious competition to the Theta Casablanca. How much of this is truth and how much is bias remains to be seen.

Michael

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Camp,
"What does that mean? I've never heard that before."
A post by Brian Florian several months back gives a basic explanation of three types of balanced outputs (one of them being full differential) and where the AVM-20 fits in those descriptions. It is a good starting point.
Michael

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Steve,

It is quite large and weighs 130+ lbs. To get full output from it you'll need to run 2 circuits into it. 2 15 amp circuits will be fine. It is a modular design and I was told that (like Bryston) if an amp module goes down it can be swapped out. Yes, it has 5 transformers. Hope this helped.

Steve*MH

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply. Nice to hear any info on this amp, as I was awaiting the previous version from SF. Just a few more questions, dont know if you can answer any, but thanks for trying.
Do you know if it indeed is a balanced (fully differential) input to output design? To match the Director as discussed earlier in this tread?
I am assuming, but will it be available in silver aluminum as well as the black shown at the show?
Were any more specs given about the innards such as the size of the transformers, number of output devices, etc?
What would you say is the approximate height of the Channel 5--almost looks same size as the Jeff Rowland MC-6, which is about 11 inches high?
Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks