What's new

NEW ALAMO announced over at digitalbits. (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
A new dvd of the Alamo has been announced over at digital bits with April 6 release date. This will be two dvds with the alamo documentary that was on the laserdisc version. I assume its stil the short version as its still anamorphic.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I know this is a personal favorite of
Bob Harris.

I am quite sure this isn't the restored version
that Mr. Harris has dreamed of all these years.

I'd love to hear exactly how good a transfer we
should expect out of MGM here.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think this is exactly the same dvd reissued again from 2000, with the same features and specs.

Crawdaddy

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
I am inclined to agree with Robert. This is only being released to tie in with the new Alamo movie being released
around the same week.
Best
Greg

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
That is not good news. This could have been the right time to release this, and just maybe if the movie does really well. Then perhaps the true version could be released after all. This is just guessing on my part.

Opi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Felix Wieme
Damn, I wanna see John Wayne's original version of this movie.

Jo_C

Second Unit
Opi, Bill Williams and the rest of you fans,

You can! TCM will show the full-length version February 21 at 10 AM Eastern (on the West Coast, it's 7 AM Pacific). This will be the director's cut, the one that's on LaserDisc and most VHS versions...and the one Harris should be restoring.

Set your VCRs and DVRs...I know I will!

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I own the LD! The Alamo is one of my favorite epics, and the "making of" documentary on the disc is one of my favorite "behind the scenes" looks at making a movie.

WAYNE
Chato, do you think you can build the Alamo?

CHATO
Mr. Wayne, do you think you can make a picture?

I know The Alamo isn't on par with more polished and cerebral "epics" like Dr. Zhivago or Lawrence of Arabia, but I have tremendous affection for it.

"Chastise? Does that mean what I think it do?"

"It do."

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
For what it's worth, this re-release or special edition--whatever it is--isn't even on MGM's release schedule at its press site, even though the entire April and May titles are listed. If it's a new version, it's an unscheduled addition.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
I got this today. As suspected, it's just the previous single-disc release with new cover art. Length is 162 minutes, same as before.

Editing to add: As proof that these versions are identical, even though the covers are different (the old one prominently featuring John Wayne, the new one featuring the Alamo), they share the same UPC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks