New AC Tweak: Flitz Metal Polish

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Scoggins, Sep 21, 2002.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Friends,
    I have been trying Flitz (www.flitz.com) metal polish ($8.99 for a tube) on my AC cords and it really works well. Mike Fremer talked about Flitz being used in the new issue of Stereophile.
    You won't believe the difference in sound you can get when you do this. Lower noise floors and more presence. [​IMG]
    Here's my procedure:
    1. Use Flitz, a gray paste, on AC cord blades and ground and rub in with Scotch Brite microfiber cloth. Rub on contacts vigorously.
    2. Apply Caig ProGold spray to now shining blades with white pipe cleaner to see extra dirt and get into difficult spots.
    3. Sit back and listen to more music!
    Have any of you tried this or Caig before?
    [​IMG]

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Lee, not tried this, anything of particular value to the Flitz stuff? I have Mr. Metal, www.mrmetal.com, which is a off-whitish thick liquid which is supposed to do the same thing. I have Caig stuff laying around. Are there components it works better with, e.g. amps that draw lots of current. I can't imagine lowering the noise floor on my Bryston SP 1.7, it's rated S/N ratio in 2-channel bypass is 110db.

3. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Well I guess it can't hurt, I've already upgraded outlets, power cords, etc. I'll give it a try.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

might as well clean the wall outlets and then the other end of the plug and then the end that plugs into the component. of course, you could just weld your amp to the outlet, no?

6. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

Chu: You might want to consider staying out of discussions that you that can't add any positive feedback....not every discussion requires a debate. Sometimes Mom was right, if you can't say nice, don't say anything at all. Accept the fact that some tweakers (like myself) don't want to hear about how we are constently wrong or flawed in our experiments. This is not meant to be a mean spirited rant, becuase I think you are a bright, well-spoken member, but please consider my advice prior to jumping into the middle of a positive flowing discussion about a tweak.

Just one member's opinion.

Ron Boster

7. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Chu, you may also wish to read the posting rules for this particular forum at the top of the page listing the threads, it states:

8. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Lee,

I have never heard of this Flitz product. Sounds interesting. I use the Caig products myself. I found it curious that Audience sent me a small rubber vial of Caig R5 Power Booster when they shipped me my Audience PowerChord.
    Please keep us posted as to your ongoing comments about Flitz. Are you power cords older ? I know you clean your contacts on a continual basis, but was wondering if you have now switched to a periodic Flitz/Caig treatment.

As to the comments by Chu....... yes, please, refrain from your *under the bridge troll comments* when you have never used said products, or simply wish to inject you bias. This tweaks forum will die out if new ideas are fed skat all day long.

Thanks for the heads-up Lee.

BOK

9. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

10. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Lee, when I put my main system back together after being apart several mos. due to projector wiring and painting, I used Deoxit (I got a sample with an order) and then Pro Gold on the RCA and XLR jacks of my equipment to make sure they were nice and clean after sitting collecting dust for that time. Most of my stuff is a pain to get to the back of so I try to clean the stuff good before I connect it and then every now and then redo it. I just ordered the 2 SF Symphony Mahler SACDs and can't wait to hear them.

11. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

12. John Brown

John Brown Auditioning

Fellow tweaker's
    I have been a jeweler for 32 years. I have not used Fitz metal polish but I do use Hapish semi-chrome that I pick up at my local automotive store. It must be about the same thing as the rest of the products mentioned.
    As for the tarnish problem I use Tarn-X from Walgreen's and to finish I use their Silver/ Metal Polish with a tarnish reducer.
    If you must polish your A.C. prongs, I would suggest a fine sanding with 800+ grit sandpaper . Then follow this step with the metal polish of your choice.
    To make your polishing easy. I'd use your moto tool if you have one with a polishing buff/tripoli ,cream polish. Or you can use a Q-Tip in the same set up.
    No moto tool then use a Popsicle stick with a piece of T- shirt and polish away.
    If there is anyone in the Lincoln, Nebraska area bring your cord to my store and I will polish it for you for free.
    John Brown[​IMG]

13. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

14. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

And for the price of $5 you can get a little grab bag of Flitz as well as coupons here and for those that don't know it, a little grab bag of assorted Caig products is available at their website.

15. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

Thanks Chu-

That was very thoughtful!

Ron