What's new

Netflix goes bat@#%@ insane, it's $16 a month now if you want to keep 1 DVD + streaming, $18 for 1 B (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Originally Posted by Sam Posten /t/312972/netflix-goes-bat-insane-its-16-a-month-now-if-you-want-to-keep-1-dvd-streaming-18-for-1-bluray-out/210#post_3868326
Well since less than 1% of 1% of viewers have a screen over 85 inches i think they are safe.
Screen envy? Just kidding Sam... Some people want better quality. Pure and simple. You made a good point in a previous post when you said it might be unrealistic to expect it from an "all you can eat" service.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
It should be noted that prior to all of this, Microsoft had a gaming console video streaming exclusivity deal on the XBOX with Netflix.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
John Dirk said:
Screen envy?  Just kidding Sam...  :)   Some people want better quality.  Pure and simple.  You made a good point in a previous post when you said it might be unrealistic to expect it from an "all you can eat" service.  
I don't have a TV right now, I'm living in hotels with 1980s tech tvs so... But my screen is 720p and 94" for my PJ. I'm sure there is content I'd be content (see what I did there?) to watch on it, but this would NOT include first run action films, I guarantee that. 150" would be even worse, ratio from sitter to screen being equal.
Todd brings up a good point too.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Sam Posten said:
/t/312972/netflix-goes-bat-insane-its-16-a-month-now-if-you-want-to-keep-1-dvd-streaming-18-for-1-bluray-out/210#post_3868979
It should be noted that prior to all of this, Microsoft had a gaming console video streaming exclusivity deal on the XBOX with Netflix.
Hi Todd - I may be missing your point. I'm not saying that what Netflix and Sony are doing here is unprecedented or even wrong in a technical sense, only that it is not the best way to spur future innovation.

I think I finally have this new editor down concerning quotations....

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I agree, exclusives suck, but theres nothing I can do to stop it. It's low on the list of the first world problems that bug me, there's a lot of other bigger issues out there for me.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Posten /t/312972/netflix-goes-bat-insane-its-16-a-month-now-if-you-want-to-keep-1-dvd-streaming-18-for-1-bluray-out/210#post_3872289
I agree, exclusives suck, but theres nothing I can do to stop it. It's low on the list of the first world problems that bug me, there's a lot of other bigger issues out there for me.
Very true... I will also survive it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
So when the alternative is to announce 'welp we're totally effe' Qixster starts looking like an attractive out.
http://m.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/12/if-everyone-else-is-such-an-idiot-how-come-youre-not-rich/249430/

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Nice that they've included 5.1 options, but wasn't 720p already available on the XBox?

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Bryan Tuck said:
Nice that they've included 5.1 options, but wasn't 720p already available on the XBox?
Yeah I was wondering that too. 720p has been available on most cheap blu-ray players that offer Netflix for a few years now.
Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I always wonder when there is a new software roll out that people bitch about. Does it REALLY suck, or is it just that they aren't used to it?
Doug

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Based on people's reactions to Facebook site updates, I would say the latter.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
The last paragraph just took on an even more ominous meaning: will Netflix be able to recoup lost subscribers when the Post Office cuts a day of delivery service? You have to wonder if they had done nothing, would more people have started to use streaming because the turn around time will increase?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I was curious about the effect of USPS delivery changes' on Netflix, but the info I found basically said because Netflix pre-sorts by zipcode before they bring to the mail processing center, that the 2-3 day delivery timeline does not apply. However, the reduction of processing centers is another issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricSchulz /t/312972/netflix-goes-bat-insane-its-16-a-month-now-if-you-want-to-keep-1-dvd-streaming-18-for-1-bluray-out/210#post_3878271
The last paragraph just took on an even more ominous meaning: will Netflix be able to recoup lost subscribers when the Post Office cuts a day of delivery service? You have to wonder if they had done nothing, would more people have started to use streaming because the turn around time will increase?

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
I know the USPS closing would have effected me had I kept the disc option. I have a distribution only 2 miles from my house, that made for great turn around times (I could get 3 movies a week when I had the time to watch them), and now that would never be possible as our distribution is slated to close, so had Netflix not changed their end, I probably would have gone to streaming because of USPS.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
#@%@%!#%@%@#% it. I finally got around to renewing my Sister's yearly gift subscription AND THESE @#$$!@$!@$heads will NOT allow you to buy the DVD or bluray options any more as a gift. All you can do is give them the max as a gift ($95) and they can choose to have a shorter subscription length and get the physical media that way when they redeem it.
If there was ANY other alternative to these assclowns I would buy it for my Sister right now and cancel my subscription at the same time.
CRIMINAL bullshit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks