What's new

Nervous about building this DIY sub (1 Viewer)

Chris James

Stunt Coordinator
Well guys, I'm getting kind of nervous about what I'm going to build. I am ordering a Shiva and an AVA250, and am going to use it for movies only. I had originally though about the Vented Adire Alignment, then to the Vented EBS. Any of you have these built? Opinions on these? Getting started seems to be the toughest part about this whole thing. Hell, I may just give up and buy an MK MX-105 and call it a day. ANY help you guys can offer would be appreciated.

Joe Meissner

Stunt Coordinator
I didnt build either of those but i went with my own design for my first DIY project using a pe250 amp and original SVS driver. what a blast it was building. knowing that i built something that sounds sooooo good is a great feeling. so dont be nervous. it will be worth it in the end. here is a pic of my finished sub to get you fired up:D just start cutting some mdf and never look back.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Either allignment will be great for HT, but I think you'll want the extra driver protection the lower tune of the EBS allignment gives you on the torture test some of the current DVDs are for subs.

Are you space limited at all? If you can handle a 9-12 ft^3 box step up to the Tempest. That extra litre of displacement makes a big difference. The cost difference is so small it makes the decision easy if you have the space.

And don't worry, if you build a solid enclosure with a proven design and either of these drivers you'll have a sub that easily out performs the MK you mentioned (especially below 30hz) at less than half the cost.

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Chris, you're right. The hardest part is actually getting up enough nerve to start the project. If you have done your research or just go directly off of the plans for the EBS or Adire alignment you will be just fine.
PS. I'd use the Adire alignment of the two listed simply because of the size difference but both are great and you won't go wrong with either one.

Rob Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Kyle's right. At least if you have good components to start you can always make a different box. Build it and listen to it for a while. If you like it, then finish it, unless you're Pat ;)
You can even build both if you have the time and give away the one you don't like as much. You'd be out about $20 and a few hours of time.
I have the Adire Shiva 85L but it's a PR design. I think it's great in my room. A bigger sub would be a waste in my room (15x12x8). It's driven by a PE250 amp and it's only 1/2 way up. I easily get reference levels down to about 19hz. Lower than that it drops off a bit.
Rob

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
chris,
yes, i've built one of the vented shiva subs from the plans there at adire for my GF's daughter. sounds pretty damn good too. her neighbor was playing his music loud all the time and she wanted to start a war. she won :D

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Chris, before I built my Tempest I was a little scared and a bit skeptical. I went through with it, finished it, and am reaping the benefits of the best bass I have heard. My buddy has a JBL PB-12 (nice sub) and my old DefTech PF15TL running a summed LFE and my Tempest blows his theater away. His room is half my size too, more room gain and it still beats it, hands down.
A Shiva is a little smaller but I wouldnt mind having one. Just a bit less displacment. As with the alignment, if space isnt a problem, go either EBS or get a Tempest. If you are pressed for space, make the Adire alignment.
Just do it. I garuntee that you will love it.
Now... go build it! :) :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
lol pat
only i didnt use bubble gum and a paper clip to build it. did it all in one day too with a dewalt drill/driver, a skil and sabre saw, and a 4" hole saw. it was cut it, glue it, screw it, woof it. the best part was, i didnt have to pay for it.

and it was pretty cool that here is this (then)22 yr old chick who wanted to woof war with the guys who thought they really had something.

anyway, chris, the point is, its easy to build, the shiva (and tempest) are wolves in sheep's clothing. it will blow away damn near anything you can buy for 2-3 times the money. and we will help you. hell, i'll cut the wood for you if you live nearby...im dying to use my new accusquare and a buttload of new clamps i just got. time for a new project. any suggestions?

Cam S

Screenwriter
I had never even really heard a powerful sub before, and I went ahead and bought the Shiva and AVA250 from Kyle over at Acoustic Visions. Best purchase I've made in a LONG time. I'm so happy with the Shiva it's unbelievable. Pics are on my site if ya wanna see them.

Chris James

Stunt Coordinator
Man, you guys are great! Well, I am going to do it. I'll keep you all posted on how this turns out. Once again, thanks for all the support.

Chris

Special thanks to Dustin for not getting annoyed by my e-mails!

Oh, and Kyle, I'm shooting you an e-mail about the Shiva and ava250.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks