What's new

Press Release Neptune's Daughter (1949) (Warner Archive Collection) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
resize.jpeg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Several Williams titles were never rereleased on DVD under the Warner Archive banner including Neptune's Daughter. The others are:

Bathing Beauty (1944)
Easy to Wed (1946)
On an Island With You (1948)
Dangerous When Wet (1953)
Easy to Love (1953)

Possibly some or all of these titles are in various stages of being prepared for eventual release on Blu-ray. All would be welcome.

Neptune's Daughter is a very fun film and I'm looking forward to it. 95 minutes of pure escapism. The DVD looks pretty good, so I'm sure WBMPI will work their usual magic and this will look spectacular.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A head’s up that the Amazon link for this title contains the description for The Prince and the Showgirl. I’m sure in time Amazon will make some kind of correction.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Is this a good movie?

My wife and I adore it.

I think if I’m putting my “objective” hat on, it’s certainly a formula picture - you’ll probably guess everything that happens before it does, so if that sort of thing bothers you, it may not be the movie for you. But setting that aside, it does the romantic comedy formula well, the cast is pleasant to spend time with, and the musical numbers and aquatic sequences are fun. It’s just some well done, feel good filmmaking that helps to show off why films like this were very popular with audiences years ago.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Is this a good movie?
Not really. It's pretty pedestrian third-tier Esther Williams fluff. I can't understand why WAC would put this out ahead of Williams' debut, Bathing Beauty - an infinitely more lively affair, or Easy to Love - the one with the spectacular water skiing at Cypress Gardens.

The only saving grace to Neptune's Daughter is the Oscar-winning ditty, Baby, It's Cold Outside. The rest is tiresome to a fault. Even the water ballet finale is just so-so.

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
My wife and I adore it.

I think if I’m putting my “objective” hat on, it’s certainly a formula picture - you’ll probably guess everything that happens before it does, so if that sort of thing bothers you, it may not be the movie for you. But setting that aside, it does the romantic comedy formula well, the cast is pleasant to spend time with, and the musical numbers and aquatic sequences are fun. It’s just some well done, feel good filmmaking that helps to show off why films like this were very popular with audiences years ago.
Of course, the highlight is Baby It’s Cold Outside. It’s fun. First sung by Williams and Montalban and then by Skelton & Betty Garrett, so cute!

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Not really. It's pretty pedestrian third-tier Esther Williams fluff. I can't understand why WAC would put this out ahead of Williams' debut, Bathing Beauty - an infinitely more lively affair, or Easy to Love - the one with the spectacular water skiing at Cypress Gardens.

The only saving grace to Neptune's Daughter is the Oscar-winning ditty, Baby, It's Cold Outside. The rest is tiresome to a fault. Even the water ballet finale is just so-so.

To each his own! My counterpoint is that I have always found it to be one of her stronger vehicles and think it's completely charming all the way through.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks