What's new

Need Some Info Please (DVDA/SACD) (1 Viewer)

Tim L

Second Unit
Okay I am currenly looking to jump into the whole SACD/DVDA music format- but I am a little confused. For instance- I noticed some DVDA discs have DTS only (Queen's NATO) which I own but of course can't play it just yet. My question is will a player such as Sonys DVPNS755V play this disc in multi-channel DTS even though it is not a DVDA player? Also- don't most DVDA discs have a DD5.1 track encoded on them- so if I bought just a SACD player could I still listen to these DD tracks in 5.1? I would like to get a Universal player such as the DV45A but I am reading mixed reviews on it- and the DVD2900 is kind of pricey for me now. Sorry for all the questions- but I am a litle confused on these things, thanks for the input
Tim

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I noticed some DVDA discs have DTS only
Not quite true. All DVD-Audio discs will have a high resolution DVD-A track or tracks, but also contain a Dolby Digital and (sometimes) DTS track. However, DTS does make some multichannel CDs (not DVD-A's) with only DTS 5.1 tracks. These discs can be played in any CD or DVD player with a digital output.

Since all DVD-Audio discs have at least a Dolby Digital track along with their high-res DVD-A soundtrack, they can be played in any DVD (but not CD) player. SACDs, if they are hybrids (meaning they have an SACD layer and a standard CD layer) can be played in any CD player and most DVD players. If the SACD is not a hybrid, it can be played only in a SACD player.

Simple, huh? :)

Tim L

Second Unit
Thanks for the reply, but I brought up the Queen NATO DVD audio 0nly because I think it is DTS only DVDA disc- I don't think there was a DD track on it- so in theory I could not play this on a DVD/SACD player and listen to a 5.1 track? (my god I'm confusing myself) could someone shed some light on this- thanks
Tim-the confused one

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
That disc has a hi-rez stereo track that will play on DVD-Video players as well as a DTS track. That way DVD-V users can enjoy the 96/24 stereo PCM track as well as a DTS 5.1 presentation if they so desire.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the reply, but I brought up the Queen NATO DVD audio 0only because I think it is DTS only DVDA disc- I don't think there was a DD track on it
I will double check my ANATO disc, but I think ALL DVD-A discs HAVE to have a DD track, and this has it too. I may be wrong, but will check again.

If memory serves, the menu structure of ANATO was a bit hard to navigate (at least with my 45A), but I expect that ANY DVD player should be able to find the DTS and DD tracks. I seem to recall that, once my player was set to look at the DVD-V layer, I could toggle from DTS to DD with the audio button.

FWIW, I think it is kind of odd that DTS has embraced DVD-A, since I think Dolby is the licensing entity in the US for DVD-A and MLP. And the way the label some of the discs, you would think it was a DTS disc, more so than a DVD-A disc. My local BB also stocks regular DTS CDs (which are NOT really CD's, but thats another story) with their DVD-A and SACD inventory. Very confusing.

BTW, other than some quirks with bass management, I think the audio of the 45A is outstanding. A good disc (Yes Fragile or Becks Sea Change) will sound wonderful on this player.

BGL

Tim L

Second Unit
Thanks for the responses, yes it can be quite confusing- I will look into the disc (NATO) again. The player I am looking for will be for music only- so I'm more concerned with how the quaility of the two formats sounds as opposed to the edge enhacement problems some of mentioned. Any other info appreciated ( I need all the help I can get). By the way I will be using a DSPA-1 to plug the player into to, I hope this is feasible as well.
Tim

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I will double check my ANATO disc, but I think ALL DVD-A discs HAVE to have a DD track, and this has it too. I may be wrong, but will check again.
You are indeed wrong. In order for a disc to bear the DVD-Video Region 1 logo it must have either a PCM or a DD track playable in the DVD-Video session. The Queen disc in question has a high-res PCM track which fulfills this requirement.

Tim L

Second Unit
So I would infact need a Universal player to fully listen to the NATO disc? And not just a SACD/DVD player. This is getting better every time:frowning:

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
So I would infact need a Universal player to fully listen to the NATO disc? And not just a SACD/DVD player. This is getting better every time
Let me try to improve on my right/wrong record...

To hear the DVD-A track, you need a DVD-A or a universal player.

To hear the PCM track, you need a DVD-V player than can handle PCM, and I think all do.

To hear the DTS track, you will need a DVD-V player that can decode DTS, or passes the DTS bit stream to an external decoder.

BGL

Tim L

Second Unit
Thanks Brian and to everyone else, I don't know how some of you retain all this HT knowledge- I love this stuff but infact find it very overwhelming at times- I can't wait till I jump into HDTV- just reading about it makes my head spin-but we'll leave that for another day. For now I just want to enjoy the full benefits of multi-channel music that so many of you have been talking about on this and other forums. I've bought a few discs like NATO and Pink Floyds-DSOTM and hoepfully soon I can start enjoying them. Now how about that Bass-management issue?:)
Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks