Need Some Info Please (DVDA/SACD)

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tim L, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

Okay I am currenly looking to jump into the whole SACD/DVDA music format- but I am a little confused. For instance- I noticed some DVDA discs have DTS only (Queen's NATO) which I own but of course can't play it just yet. My question is will a player such as Sonys DVPNS755V play this disc in multi-channel DTS even though it is not a DVDA player? Also- don't most DVDA discs have a DD5.1 track encoded on them- so if I bought just a SACD player could I still listen to these DD tracks in 5.1? I would like to get a Universal player such as the DV45A but I am reading mixed reviews on it- and the DVD2900 is kind of pricey for me now. Sorry for all the questions- but I am a litle confused on these things, thanks for the input
    Tim

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

3. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

Thanks for the reply, but I brought up the Queen NATO DVD audio 0nly because I think it is DTS only DVDA disc- I don't think there was a DD track on it- so in theory I could not play this on a DVD/SACD player and listen to a 5.1 track? (my god I'm confusing myself) could someone shed some light on this- thanks
    Tim-the confused one

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

That disc has a hi-rez stereo track that will play on DVD-Video players as well as a DTS track. That way DVD-V users can enjoy the 96/24 stereo PCM track as well as a DTS 5.1 presentation if they so desire.

5. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

6. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

Thanks for the responses, yes it can be quite confusing- I will look into the disc (NATO) again. The player I am looking for will be for music only- so I'm more concerned with how the quaility of the two formats sounds as opposed to the edge enhacement problems some of mentioned. Any other info appreciated ( I need all the help I can get). By the way I will be using a DSPA-1 to plug the player into to, I hope this is feasible as well.
    Tim

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

8. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

So I would infact need a Universal player to fully listen to the NATO disc? And not just a SACD/DVD player. This is getting better every time[​IMG]

9. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

10. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Yes Brian, that about sums it up.

Regards,

11. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

Thanks Brian and to everyone else, I don't know how some of you retain all this HT knowledge- I love this stuff but infact find it very overwhelming at times- I can't wait till I jump into HDTV- just reading about it makes my head spin-but we'll leave that for another day. For now I just want to enjoy the full benefits of multi-channel music that so many of you have been talking about on this and other forums. I've bought a few discs like NATO and Pink Floyds-DSOTM and hoepfully soon I can start enjoying them. Now how about that Bass-management issue?[​IMG]
    Tim

12. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer