What's new

Need help with wedding registry (1 Viewer)

Ryan Hammond

Auditioning
So of course we've gone to Macy's, Williams & Sonoma, Crate & Barrel to register for enough pots, pans, dishes, glasses, etc. to fill 3 kitchens - I'd like to add some HT equipment to our wedding registry, but I cannot find a good retailer/etailer that carries mid-high end receivers, DVD players, speakers, etc. that has a registry.

Has anyone registered for HT equipment for their wedding before? If so, where did you go? Thank you in advance for your help.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

There's a reason for that... It's highly unusual to register for "toys" like home theatre equipment for a wedding gift.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
When we did the Target registry, I went through the home entertainment area and registered for some equipment I would like to get. I got none!

I'm not sure if Best Buy has any registry lists, but you could try them. Don't get your hopes to high on having someone get you those monster cables ;)

Paul

Chuck Mullen

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan,
Your fiance is letting register for A/V gear?
You da man! My wife wouldn't have risked not getting the kitchen stuff she wanted for that stuff.

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
We refused to register (we didnt need that crap) so people gave us money instead...

;) ;) ;)

Ryan Hammond

Auditioning
Yeah, money would be the way to go - I just know that my friends would probably be more interested in pitching in for a set of speakers, new DVD player, etc. than buying us some home kitchen appliance.

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor
They don't HAVE to buy what's on the registry. They can buy whatever ,wherever they choose. It's just a guide for people.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I went with my friends when they registered at Target. He got such a kick out of the scanner that he started off scanning bags of chips and cookies! In hindsight I should have bought those items for him, wrapped them up and everything. If I get married I'll probably add some snack items in honor of him.

Does Sears have a registry? That's my only suggestion.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Best Buy really does have a registry! (At least I'm 98% sure they do)

We didn't have one either, though. Got lots of cash which is exactly what we wanted. Some people bought us other things, but then again these relatives probably wouldn't have stuck to a registry either.

Ryan Hammond

Auditioning
Thank you everyone for your input, I appreciate it greatly. We'll check out Amazon.com and Best Buy to see what we can register for - and as a backup, cash always works for us! :wink:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I believe Costco has a registery, and they sell lots of A/V gear. Plus they sell linens, toasters, refrigerators, and other standard registry items.

As a joke once, I bought 12 identical toasters at Target and had them gift-wrapped in different papers. At the shower the bride and groom were increasingly non-plussed at opening so many identical toasters!

Lary Larson

Stunt Coordinator
Speaking from recent experience, I'd avoid Target - their return policy stinks. I registered for some cool stuff at Amazon, but didn't get any of it - guess nobody wanted to fork out $130 for a pool rack :D

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
When we were planning our wedding, I was struck by a few statistics.

1. 50% of first marraiges end in divorce.

2. The number one cause sited for divorce: Arguments/Trouble with Money/Finances.

3. The Average wedding cost: $20,000.

I know that we, and all of our friends, had to pay for our own weddings... Our parents didn't pay it for us as was customary in previous generations (the brides parents I think?). I also know that 20K in debt is a TOUGH hole to climb out of... Tack on to that student loan debt, a mortgage, car payments, etc... And it was quite clear to us when we were planning our wedding where those "problems with money" that derail so many others, came from... So we cut corners here and there, (my wife wanted to buy EVERYTHING wedding.com said we needed, and I said, "NAH... We don't need "engraved matchbooks"), and decided that we would register for CASH. In the end our 200 guest wedding cost about 10K (ring NOT included), which we easily paid for with money we got in wedding gifts...

We both now agree, buying all the extra "crap" wedding planners say you "need" would have been a waste of money....

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Well, we managed a wedding for 120 guests for about 13k (CDN) last year, which wasn't bad. Best thing to do would be to set up a webpage with a list of not only where you're registered, but with a list of items that you want that aren't on a registry. Of course, if you can convince them to do it, the cash thing is always a good idea. We ended up getting enough cash to pay for a kick-ass barbecue, a Lego star destroyer (see explanation here), and part of a couch.

The trick is, don't ask for crap that you don't need!

SethH

Senior HTF Member

Please elaborate on this. I am getting ready to register at Target. Based on your comment I went to their website and read they return policy and I can see nothing wrong with it. Please fill me in on your experience. Thanks.

Lary Larson

Stunt Coordinator

To be honest, I didn't have the experience - my wife did (man, it's tough to get used to that "wife" word). And I probably should have said "service" instead of "policy" - I imagine their policy is actually pretty typical. I think you're fine if you have the gift receipts, but if you don't you'll only get the lowest price the item has sold for in the last 6 months or something like that. Anyway, my wife spent 2 frustrating hours dealing with them, getting hassle and attitude about the receipts and a couple things she tried to return that weren't purchased there (gotta love those folks who venture off the registry path to get us that color-changing aromatherapy water fountain - I know its the thought that counts, but cash sure wouldn't hurt).

On a more positive note, we couldn't have had a better experience at Marshall Field's. A total class act: we called ahead and they sent someone out to the car to bring in the returns; they were extremely helpful and knowledgeable, going out of their way to help us find everything; they were able to ship us all our exchanges so we didn't have to haul a bunch of stuff back - plus they give you a 15% off day after your wedding so you can complete your sets or pick up any stuff you registered for but didn't get.

HTH,
Lary

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks