What's new

Need help with problem laserdisc players (1 Viewer)

MattHR

Screenwriter
I recently fired up three old laserdisc players that I hadn't used in a long time. They are are all Pioneer (CLD703, CLD503, CLD702). They each started alright, but made horrible "screeching" and "grinding" noises when changing sides or when the disc would spin down upon ejecting. They all worked fine previously.

I figure there must be a part that needs lubricating, as these players hadn't been used in about two years. I don't see how they'd all coincidentally develop the same problem, so I assume there must be a track or bearings of some kind that have dried up.

I don't want to play any more discs until I figure out the problem. I noticed slight ring wear on the discs' labels near the center hole. There must be some slippage occuring in the players' clamping mechanism that is causing this wear.

I was hoping someone might have some knowledge as to what I should be looking for when I open the players up for inspection, and what, if any, solution I might try.

Thanks in advance!

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I had some minor problems with my D704... occasionally made the sounds you describe and on flipping over, the picture distorted for 1/2 a sec. I dubiously took it to an authorized Pioneer repair shop and to my delight, actually fixed the problem. Cost me like 70-80 bucks.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
How long and where were they stored (temp/humidity/dust/smoke)? My first thought is that it needs the brake/clamp cleaned since it happens when the machine goes to slow the disc down. A relatively easy thing to do at home. It's odd that all 3 are doing it, but almost all LD players need this done over time depending on how many discs you play and how you handle the discs themselves.

Does the A/V look OK when you watch?
How long does take to change side or if you hit eject at the end of a side 2 before it spins down, how long does it take the drawer to open.

There is a primet someowhere on line that lists the cleaning procedure or you can Google it I'm sure -- Kurtis Bahr has outlined a step by step a couple times.

MattHR

Screenwriter

I tried Google, but came up with nothing. I do recall the name Kurt Bahr from somewhere. I'll keep trying, and hope someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks for the input.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Pioneer service is pretty good on these things, I'd at least send one of them back, they will go through it and tweak it all back to great!!!!

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Matt:

I lifted this from an old Usenet post. I have cleaned numerous clamps in a similar way and it is fairly easy and usually effective if all the other mechanicals are in line and functioning which sounds like they are if the the Audio/Video work well.

If you use the rubber cleaners be very careful since apparently it can be pretty bad on plastic parts. Many use Pure isopropyl alcohol and a good tape head cleaning sponge. Rubbing Alcohol not suggested due to some of the additional chemicals which can leave a residue or worse.

__________________________________________________ ___________

The way the brake works is that the polarity of the motor is switched which
causes the motor slow down and then it is released for free spin after the
sensor detects the motor has stopped. Your problem is dirt, grease or
sometime
else transfered from the label onto the rubber pad that is the lower part of
the clamp. This is also connected to the spindle motor.

Take off the top, remove the four screws holding the brace that positions
the
top of the clamp and remove that assembly. This gives you easy access to
the
rubber pad that grips the LD. It is a tiny rubber pad around the outer
edge.
You need to clean it throughly and I mean really good. Preferrably use
Radio
Shack Professional Head clean or a high quality rubber cleaner for a reel to
reel machine. This will clean and not leave residue after drying. If
really
bad it may take two cleanings, don't be afraid to rub hard. Reassemble and
it
should work like new.

Remember that dirt, grease or whatever probably got there off a LD label so
check the label to verify they are clean or it could happen again.

Kurtis

MattHR

Screenwriter
David,

Thanks for finding the tip. That's exactly the remedy I remember reading about years ago. I'll give it a shot, then post my results.

Thanks for your assistance...and wish me luck!

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks