What's new

Need help with my new Ti4200p Turbo card (1 Viewer)

Jeremy_Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
I recently upgraded to a Albatron Geforce4 4200p Turbo. I haven't overclocked the card at all, so its at whatever it's default settings is. I can surf or use my computer fine, but when I go to play any games after a pretty much random period of time it will hard lock and I'll usually get looping sound in my speakers. All of my drivers are up to day, except for my soundcard drivers which are a little behind, I can't seem to get the newiest Gametheaterxp drivers to install.

Only thing I havn't tried are to flash the bios on the videocard and/or lowering the speed below default on the card (assuming it might be overheating).

My specs:

Geforce 4 Ti4200p turbo
1.4ghz thunderbird
256 megs generic SDRAM
Gametheaterxp soundcard
Amptron M1l80 motherboard
Enermax 300watt powersupply

I don't have much experience dealing with this, I'm usually a couple of generations behind on videocards, any help would be appreciated.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
are you using the drivers that came with the card or the manufacturer's website? If so go to diplay properties > settings > Advanced button > Adapter tab > Properties >Driver > Uninstall. Then go to nVidia.com and download their official detonator drivers.

I recently got the Palit GF4 Ti4200 at newegg for $114 shipped, just out of curiosity how much did you get yours for?

Jeremy_Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
These are selling at newegg for $185 at newegg, they have the full sized pcb of the 4600 and use 128megs of 3.3ns ram. I bought off of agroa (the used swap place at arstechnica for $165). I'm using the newiest nvida drivers, the ones that came with the card were just old dets.

Someone on another site thought it might be my ram. Said it might be because its no name ram. Dunno though I've used it in this computer for almost a year now.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps the Geforce card and the soundcard are sharing the same IRQ? They really should be on their own (unshared) IRQs to prevent interrupt collisions on the PCI/AGP bus (the cards will "cross" signals once in a while, causing stutterings, lockups, etc.).

Check device manager. If they are using the same IRQ, you can try changing the IRQ assignments from your BIOS or you can start moving the soundcard into another slot.

Jeremy_Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
I just checked and your right, both my videocard and my soundcard are sharing IRQ 10. Unfortunatly my motherboard is pretty cheap, and I don't have a bios option to select IRQ's. I can't move the cards unfortunatly because I only have 2pci and one agp slot. It goes AGP(videocard), networkcard, soundcard.
I suppose I could switch out the network card and the soundcard.
Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks