What's new

Need help with my lawn (1 Viewer)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately I moved into a neighborhood where people actually take care of their yards. So, I have been trying to make mine presentable as well.
Anyway.. my backyard has a pretty good slope to it.. maybe 20 degrees... and it receives pretty intense sunlight throughout the day.
My problem is this.. that portion of my yard is unusually bumpy and patchy. There are some real "ankle-breakers" out there. I don't know if it's from erosion, frost upheavel, or voles (I did see one during the winter).
Whats the best way to smooth out my yard and get a uniform lawn?

Chris Rosene

Second Unit
Hey Dave
Wait until the next big rainfall (will probably be before the weekend :) ) and get one of those yard rollers and squash all the groud to be level. These work best when the yard is wet and you can get the push kind or the kind you pull behind a lawn tractor.

Dan M~

Second Unit
Actually, rollers compact the soil and will keep the grass from growing. Do a Net search for lawn care and read some of the many forums. I would suggest airating (sp)and adding top soil to the low spots, and plant a good sun/drought resistant fescue grass seed. once the grass is established, fertilize twice a year (fall and spring) with a good brand that has weed control. A good healthy grass will keep weeds under control and the soil where it belongs. Hills/slopes and sun are a tough combonation. Good luck.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Sounds like you need Round-up and an Rototiller. Kill the grass, rototill it, then re-seed.
Been there, done that, twice. It's not fun, but it really makes for a nice lawn.
Peace Out~:D

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the tips, guys.

Also, has anyone ever used a sod cutter, powered or otherwise? I have a slight grading problem on one side of my house and want to take care of it before it gets worse. What I would like to do is cut the sod away, remove the excess soil to get the proper pitch, and replace the sod.

Are there any secrets to using one?

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Oh, I'd be interested in the info on a sod cutter, too. I have a sloped lawn that I would like to level out one of these days. The last time I peeled some grass back I did it with a kitchen knife. Took a long time. ;) (yes, I'm serious!)
Any info on sod cutters would be cool. How do they work, can you rent one, etc.

Kurt B

Stunt Coordinator
I've used a powered sod cutter a few years back and will be doing so again this spring as we start the front lawn landscaping.

They are available for rental and are not too difficult to use. I played around with one to get the hang of it in an area that I didn't care if I messed up a bit.

The rental place can give you some good operating tips on using it also.

Kurt

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like you need Round-up and an Rototiller. Kill the grass, rototill it, then re-seed.
Been there, done that, twice. It's not fun, but it really makes for a nice lawn.
It must not have been too nice, if you had to do it twice.:):)
I cannot help you with sloping yards. We don't have any here in FL.:) Not to mention, the grass is totally different.
I just laid an entire yard of St. Augustine sod (back-breaking work by myself). It's looking really nice, but for the price, it had better!
Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks